imap automatic moving mails between folders

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

backfour94
First Timer

imap automatic moving mails between folders

Post by backfour94 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:52 pm

Hi, I've looked at the imap plugins but am not sure which one is bets to use in terms of support but I don't think that either has the function I'm looking for.

Is it possible to get PopTray to move mail between folders based on certain criteria?

For example my mail provider has a pretty good SPAM filter; I'd like to be sure that a message is SPAM before deleting but would like to keep my inbox clean; so after the mail postoffice has flagged a message as SPAM I'd like t move it to another folder. My mail provider doesn't do this so I wondered if PopTray could.

Another thought would be if PopTray could move all messages to an alternative folder if the sender isn't on a 'white list'.

Thanks.

mjeveritt
Groupie

Delphi IMAP

Post by mjeveritt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:26 pm

It is possible to move mail between folders, yes, but I would argue this is probably moving away from the principle of a simple mail checking utility.

It has been some time since I last looked at the Delphi code, and many problems were experienced using the Indy components for IMAP access as this was pretty virgin code by the Indy developers. I did download another internet package for Delphi but experienced so many compile errors trying to integrate it I gave up.

I open this post out to all the IMAP users out there .. if anyone does want me to look at the Delphi IMAP plugin in more detail pm me and I'll see what I can do. I believe the functionality was broadened significantly with the C++ IMAP plugin .. I lost the need for an IMAP checking utility and also for POP3 as my IM client has a simple mail check plugin which I use. This doesn't really prevent me from checkin any errors which users experience with the plugin I wrote .. which I believe can still be found on the SourceForge page. I believe in the spirit of SourceForge it is probably time I released the source code in case there are any budding developers out there who fancy taking on any further work with it .... :)

backfour94
First Timer

Post by backfour94 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:34 pm

I'd agree that adding something like this would be moving away from a simple mail checking utility and maybe something the developers would prefer to stay away from, but it is something I'd be interested in as it helps to mamage the post office rather than simply display messages.

Maybe there's another utility I could try?