I need some help - is there plug in for Yahoo mail?

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Gummitier
First Timer

I need some help - is there plug in for Yahoo mail?

Post by Gummitier » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:05 pm

To be exact: I actually need a lot of help. I´m a rookie to this PopTray program and I don´t have a clue how to get it running :cry:
If there is a nice and PACIENT!!! person out there to help me??? thx

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:37 pm

There are already threads about accessing Web Mail using PopTray.
KY Dave wrote:I suggest using FREEPOPS with PopTray to access HOTMAIL, GMAIL, AOL, YAHOO and other webmail.

Download FREEPOPS HERE.

After DOWNLOADING and INSTALLING FREEPOPS,
Download the newest yahoo.lua at the link below...
http://www.freepops.org/download.php?file=yahoo.lua

Save the yahoo.lua in the PROGRAMS/FREEPOPS/LUA Directory overwritting yahoo.lua.

-----------------------------------
In PopTray on the ACCOUNTS tab...

SERVER = LOCALHOST or 127.0.0.1
PROTOCOL = POP3
PORT = 2000
LOGIN = YOUR FULL EMAIL ADDRESS (including domain in NON-capital characters)
PASSWORD = PASSWORD

Save Accounts

QUIT PopTray and RESTART.

FreePops should be running and the icon showing in the system's tray. You should also copy the shortcut for FREEPOPS to your STARTUP Folder. This way it will start and be running when you check email.

You must also let POPTRAY & FREEPOPS have internet access in your firewall program.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

sturza
Still here

Post by sturza » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:44 pm

KY Dave wrote:There are already threads about accessing Web Mail using PopTray.
KY Dave wrote:I suggest using FREEPOPS with PopTray to access HOTMAIL, GMAIL, AOL, YAHOO and other webmail.

Download FREEPOPS HERE.

After DOWNLOADING and INSTALLING FREEPOPS,
Download the newest yahoo.lua at the link below...
http://www.freepops.org/download.php?file=yahoo.lua

Save the yahoo.lua in the PROGRAMS/FREEPOPS/LUA Directory overwritting yahoo.lua.

In PopTray on the ACCOUNTS tab...

SERVER = LOCALHOST or 127.0.0.1
PROTOCOL = POP3
PORT = 2000
LOGIN = YOUR FULL EMAIL ADDRESS (including domain in NON-capital characters)
PASSWORD = PASSWORD

Save Accounts

QUIT PopTray and RESTART.

FreePops should be running and the icon showing in the system's tray. You should also copy the shortcut for FREEPOPS to your STARTUP Folder. This way it will start and be running when you check email.

You must also let POPTRAY & FREEPOPS have internet access in your firewall program.
================================

Hi, KY ! Followed ur instructions, but i can only access my yahoo account thru outlook express, not thru pop tray. Thanks
Jose Roque Sturza

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:58 pm

You should be able to use the exact same settings in PopTray that Outlook Express uses,
unless you have some kind of Anti-Virus program scanning your email or some sort of Yahoo add on.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

sturza
Still here

Post by sturza » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:32 pm

KY Dave wrote:You should be able to use the exact same settings in PopTray that Outlook Express uses,
unless you have some kind of Anti-Virus program scanning your email or some sort of Yahoo add on.
===========================================
Thanks KY ! poptray shows the error: socket error 10053 software caused connection abort
Jose Roque Sturza

gracie
Fanatic

Try Yahoo Pops

Post by gracie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:56 pm

since free pops is not working so well for you (or maybe by now it is---i just saw your post), you might want to check out yahoo pops (ypops), at http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net, which i've found to work excellently with pop tray. unlike free pops, this is just for yahoo.

rrascal3
First Timer

A footnote on Yahoo Mail

Post by rrascal3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 am

I provide home computer services and must stay abreast of what my customers are using. Because of this, my shop system explores Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Evolution, Windows Live, ICQMail and Yahoo Mail. Plus I dabble occasionally in what Linux has to offer. I have email accounts through my web host (Netfirms), my ISP provider (SuddenLink), Hotmail, Yahoo and ICQ. I no longer check AOL Mail or GMail. PopTray 3.2 is set to monitor 18 various accounts.
As for Yahoo Mail, I have two accounts. One I pay a $20 annual fee to be able to download and/or forward my mail. The other is the free version that most Yahoo mailers have. I never had problems accessing the paid Yahoo account through PopTray. But the free account was always a problem. I tried FreePops but that didn't seem to work. I installed YPops according to the Configuration steps (VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW THOSE STEPS). Outlook Express was able to retrieve the mail but PopTray still gave me errors. Although that may only have been a timing issue, I changed the Yahoo accounts' default email program in PopTray to YPops. Now, I get all my mail without error. In fact, I may even tackle AOL and GMail again.
Thanks for YPops. It's the missing link I needed to close the circle.

gracie
Fanatic

Re: A footnote on Yahoo Mail

Post by gracie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:51 pm

rrascal3 wrote:Thanks for YPops. It's the missing link I needed to close the circle.
glad i could help, after all the help i've gotten here in the past! :)