Question from new user

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Moreta56

Question from new user

Post by Moreta56 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 am

:?: Hi, I have just started using Pop Tray. I've used eprompter for many years but it isn't working with Gmail or Yahoo anymore. I've set up Pop Tray and downloaded the plugin for Gmail but can't get it to work. I've followed the instructions which Dave gave but still no luck. I"m a little confused about which protocol to use in each account as Daves instructions say to select SSL but there isn't that choice, I can select POP3 SSL, also there is a Protocol called Gmail which I tried and that didn't make any diference either.
I get the error message Connect Error - Socket Error #10061, connection refused. And when Pop Tray does sutomatic checks I am getting the message Access Violation at address 01645138.
Pop Tray works fine with my server email account, Internode.
I did see a message about Free Pops and installed it, and used the updater, but had no luck with that either and am not entirely sure even whether I need it or not!
Can some kind person please help?
Once I get Gmail going then I will try Yahoo or Hotmail.
Thanks
Chris

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:09 pm

While the plugin is still available... all work on the Gmail plugin has stopped because there is a better method.

Get the Examples plugin which also includes an SSL plugin.. install it... enable the SSL plugin then close and re-open Poptray.

Next... go to your Gmail account options and enable POP3 support from its settings page. Next setup the Gmail account in POPTRAY using the settings for the POP3 setting that your Gmail account stated you needed.

Moreta56

Example Plugin

Post by Moreta56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:22 am

Thank you very much! That worked well, so well that I am currently downloading 325 messages............not sure why, as I specified in my Gmail account when enabling POP 3 to enable from now on but it seems to be downloading all.
So to use Hotmail or Yahoo, which plug ins do you recommend?
It's so nice to find a forum that actually answers questions!
:D

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm

See this post viewtopic.php?t=2469

Moreta56

Freepops

Post by Moreta56 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 am

Thank you, I had already downloaded and installed this, but not currently using as I couldn't quite understand why I would need it if I have the Gmail account working using the Example Plug in? I saw that it had files for Yahoo etc but they are .lua which I've never heard of and wasn't sure about.
Maybe I should go back to the Freepops website and see if I can work it out!
Cheers :?