5.0 beta 11 does not work well according to my experience

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

5.0 beta 11 does not work well according to my experience

Post by homaquebec » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 pm

I downloaded and installed this recently released version.

I then had a lot of problems. I lost all my settings, including the setting of the pop account that I used, the rules, etc.

In addition, since I work in french, I chose this option. Then, the different sections of the program were sometimes in french, sometimes in english. The UIDL verification was not supported and I regularly received and error message.

It looks like if the new version does not update the installed version but replace it.

Finally, I completely desinstalled this version of PopTrayU and reinstalled the version 5.0 beta 9 that I had saved.

After having set up the account and rewrite the rules – to work with K9 – everything works fine.

Have somebody met such problems with this version? Have I done something wrong?

I will stay with this version that satisfies me (after having saved the rules file… in case).

P.S. my computer runs with Windows 8.1

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:34 am

Homaquebec

I was unable to recreate the issue you had. I closed Poptray then installed with the same options I had previously, to use the userdata folder at "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\PopTrayU\". Of course, I used the default English language.

The only two things I can think of that may have caused something like that... PoptrayU was running when you installed the new version over it... or maybe you had installed using a different location for the user files originally than what you selected on this installation.

If it was the first possible cause... that should be checked for during install so it couldn't happen. Since I'm uncertain if that check is made or not, I'm just speculating here.

The second possible cause should also be tested for during install and then the option to use the same data location or use one of the other two options. Again, this is just speculation only jojobear can say either way.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Rdsok

Thanks for your answer.

I reinstalled the version 5.0 beta 11 after being sure that PopTrayU was closed. I also made sure to choose the same userdata folder that was previously used (the one that is recommended and, making no choice, this is the userdata folder by default).

Result : everything works fine except three things : I lost the personalized options in the pop email account page, nothing in the Rules page is translated in french except the lines in the rules that I "wrote", the other pages being translated and the UIDL verification is not supported.

I think that the mistake that I have made was to not use the same userdata folder that was previously used, checking the third choice instead of the first one that is recommended and already checked.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 pm

After I get home, I'll check out if the UIDL is working on mine or not ( can't remember if I had that disabled or not )... I didn't loose my own personalized options nor were my rules affected but the later two may be a language issue I can't check out.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 am

I'm not having any errors with UIDL enabled...

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks for the tests you made.

I wonder if it could happen that the Rules file page, since it is not with the other files of PopTrayU but in an userdata folder, could not be translated when we install a new version of the application.

A precision : the lines that were translated could come from the file that I import. The rules were first "written" in french. I now can change the french words for english ones (Area, Compare, Text) without perturbating the application.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 am

I wouldn't think it would attempt to translate the rules at all as that wouldn't make sense. They should be left as they were found. The translations are only going to be for the UI components itself

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Two bugs ?

Post by homaquebec » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I completely desinstalled PopTrayU and reinstalled it using the 5.0 beta 9 version and putting all the files in PopTrayU folder of Program Files (x86).

I set up an account and selected the options that I wanted. I wrote the rules related to K9.

The UIDL verification was then supported.

Once everything was working fine, I closed PopTrayU and installed the version 5.0 beta 11.

Two things had changed : The Rules page is not translated but the lines that I "wrote" are translated, the same thing for the three words : Area Compare ant Text. The UIDL verification is not supported any more.

I think that there is a bug in the translation of the Rules page and in the UIDL verification that changes.

Edited July, 18, 1 p.m.

PopTrayU installed this way, I met two important problems :

- I could not turn off my computer because PopTray.ini kept running. I had to force the closing.

- PopTrayU did not check the mail at the starting of Windows.

I desinstalled everything and reinstalled PopTrayU using the version 5.0 beta 11 and having PopTray.ini and Rules.ini in AppData/Roaming/PopTrayU.

Results : The application works fine but the Rules page is not translated except what I wrote above and the UIDL verification is not supported. I had not thoses problems with the version 5.0 beta 9.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Hello everyone...

Today, I installed PopTrayU for the first time and also noted that Rules tab is not being translated to spanish. I reviewed the installation folder and checked that my own language file is still there, with some new messages at the end (translated by some automated tool, Google Translate I guess).

Now I'm wondering if I can put there the old config files from my latest installation of Poptray's backup.

++Vitoco

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm seeing random errors when deleting messages, with or without the UIDL enabled, now... A single email seems fine ( like I tested with ) but multiple ones is where I seem to be having the issue.

For now... I've reverted back to beta 5 v9

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 pm

vitoco wrote: Now I'm wondering if I can put there the old config files from my latest installation of Poptray's backup.

++Vitoco
Perhaps try looking at the old translation file ( *.ptlang ) and compare it to the new one

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:44 pm

I came back to the version 5.0 beta 9 and the two problems that I mentionned desapeared.

Vitoco and I mentionned the problems on the Discussion Board of the PopTrayU web site (http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/).

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 pm

homaquebec wrote:I came back to the version 5.0 beta 9 and the two problems that I mentionned desapeared.

Vitoco and I mentionned the problems on the Discussion Board of the PopTrayU web site (http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/).
Great... jojobear ( Jessica ) doesn't always have much time to visit both the discussion board and this forum...

Toronto01
First Timer

Re: 5.0 beta 11 does not work well according to my experience

Post by Toronto01 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:08 am

homaquebec wrote:
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 pm
I downloaded and installed this recently released version.

I then had a lot of problems. I lost all my settings, including the setting of the pop account that I used, the rules, etc.

In addition, since I work in french, I chose this option. Then, the different sections of the program were sometimes in french, sometimes in english. The UIDL Rachat prêt verification was not supported and I regularly received and error message.

It looks like if the new version does not update the installed version but replace it.

Finally, I completely desinstalled this version of PopTrayU and reinstalled the version 5.0 beta 9 that I had saved.

After having set up the account and rewrite the rules – to work with K9 – everything works fine.

Have somebody met such problems with this version? Have I done something wrong?

I will stay with this version that satisfies me (after having saved the rules file… in case).

P.S. my computer runs with Windows 8.1
I hate this version, it always have a bugg

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: 5.0 beta 11 does not work well according to my experience

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 am

This is a 3 year old thread... any issues with the version mentioned are now no longer relevant since many newer versions exist.

I"m closing this thread