PopTray home
 PopTray Forum Index 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Renier Crause Homepage 
Grisoft releases AVG Free Anti-Virus software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Grisoft releases AVG Free Anti-Virus software Reply with quote

Grisoft, a maker of anti-virus software, has release a new free for personal use version of their premier anti-virus software and are calling it AVG Free. Grisoft had previously released a free version called AVG 6 Free which support is due to expire on Dec 31, 2004.

I've been using the free release on my home system for quite some time and have been very pleased with it's performance. Unlike Norton AV or McAfee AV, it doesn't slow your computer significantly and I believe it works much better. I've been recommending it to my clients for their home systems and have since seen much fewer problems on their computers compared to those that still are using the other AV's.

There had been problems running the beta version of this program with Poptray but according to KY Dave (in a post that has been lost due to a forum file corruption recently) that problem has since been fixed.

For more information or to get a copy for yourself, go to Grisoft's website.
How to clean an infected computer
Curtz
Priceless

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

I'm using http://www.free-av.com/ - ugly - but works like a dream and does not slow down the computer either. I trashed NAV for this.

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that one, AntiVir PE, as well as several other free antivirus programs. Another one I liked was avast! 4 Home Edition which can be found at http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home2.html . I believe those 3 (including AVG Free) were my favorites also. The main reason that I hadn't chosen AntiVir PE was not a technical reason, it was due to language considerations. Their main support forum is provided in German and would be a problem here in the US for both me and my clients. As for avast! , it was simply a small performance difference since it worked well also.
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using AVG Free (AVG 7.0 Free) for the past week, but on my Web site, I'm recommending that people wait as long as possible to upgrade to it, to give Grisoft as much chance as possible to solve its problems. The AVG Free support forums contain many, many complaints of AVG Free's bugs, missing and/or non-functioning features, and incompatibilities with OSs and with other software. As for me, despite spending countless hours in the AVG Free forums, and trying every possible workaround I've found, I haven't gotten AVG Free to scan any of my outgoing or incoming email yet.
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your recommendations on your website are a good idea for any new program.

I hadn't taken time to visit their forum yet so I was unaware of issues the other users may have been reporting. I am a little curious as to what email client you use?

Currently the only email clients I've used with it are Outlook and Outlook Express. I also can report that Poptray is working with it (incoming mail only).

It didn't originally work with OE or Poptray. I installed it using the default install settings which recognized that I had Outlook installed, so it only installed the Outlook plugin and not the general email plugin. I re-ran the install file and selected Expert Install (or something similar to that) and selected to install both the Outlook plugin and the Personal E-Mail Scanner plugin and then when finished I had to re-update the program.
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,
I'm using Outlook 2000 with PopTray, running under Win98SE. When I first installed AVG Free, it automatically installed the Outlook plug-in, and also automatically installed the AVG email client, which I did not want. Every time I tried to use PopTray, the AVG email client would contact my POP server, take a long time trying to connect, and then report that it couldn't connect.

While trying to solve that problem, I disabled AVG's Outlook plug-in in Outlook itself, by un-checking its box in Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/Add-In Manager.

Ever since then, no matter how many times I've uninstalled AVG Free, deleted its folders, and manually deleted all AVG references in the Windows Registry, and completely reinstalled AVG Free; and no matter how many times I've run the AVG Free installer and checked the box to tell it to install the Outlook plug-in, AVG Free continues to refuse to reinstall that Outlook plug-in, and the only plug-in that displays in Outlook's Add-In Manager is the AVG Exchange Extension, which is unchecked, and which never showed up there until I unchecked the AVG Outlook extension there several days ago.

I posted a message about it in the AVG Free forums several days ago, but I haven't gotten any replies. I guess people are busy trying to figure out other AVG Free problems, and that this particular problem may be unique to running AVG Free in Windows 98SE. Confused
Pdman
First Timer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has upgraded to the new free version of AVG and now Poptray is unable to connect to my email. I have tried all the hints in this and other forums without any luck. Any suggestions?

Windows ME
Outlook Express
ZoneAlarm (Free)

Thanks in advance
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a test, temporarily disable/turn off ZoneAlarm and test again. Then repost a new thread under the Bug Reports forum area which is where this type of thing belongs. Also list what you have tried (not the generic I've tried everything I've read because we don't know what you've read) and also mention the version numbers of each program including Poptray just in case it becomes relevant.
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComputerBob,

What I'm about to pass on to you here may be irrelevant. This is info that I found on my WinXP system with Outlook 2003 installed. The reason I'm mentioning this is because you also are mentioning the "AVG Exchange Extension" which is all I find on my system and I'm not having trouble with my Outlook / AVG (as far as I can tell anyway Rolling Eyes )

File referenced as the add-in.

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AGV Free\
File name - avgxch32.dll
File size - 94.0 KB (96,256 bytes)
File date - Friday, November 12, 2004, 8:41:27 PM

Registry info found for this file

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
String Key name - AVG Exchange Extension
String Key value - 4.0;C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgxch32.dll;1;11010111111000

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Grisoft\Clients\{9FFCC68F-FFC8-4FFB-A8AF-5BD2BDB45ABA}
String Key name - Config
String Key value - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgxch32.dll

I guess you could verify that the file exists, then make certain that the registry setting are there (maybe) and finally try to enable the Add-in in Outlook to see if that will make it work. I would, as usual, suggest restarting the computer if there wasn't a registry entry and you had to add it, and if all you do is enable the AVG EE add-in, just restart Outlook to ensure it is enabled and test it again.

I'll still look at the Win98SE / Outlook 2k / AVG Free info at work and report back what I find. Hopefully it will be the same and you will get the info you need to double check your setup earlier.

If you have all of the registry keys and are simply missing the .dll file, just PM me.
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Randy! Yes, I have those same AVG Free Registry entries in Win98SE.

If I tried to check the AVG Outlook Exchange plug-in box in Outlook itself, I received an error message, telling me that avgxch32.dll was not installed.

I found avgxch32.dll file in my AVG folder, but not in Windows\System.

In the AVG Free forums, it was suggested that simply copying that dll to the Windows\System folder would work, but it would prevent it from being updated in the future. So, just like I did 3 or 4 times the other day, I followed the forum's detailed instructions for going to Start/Run and installing the dll properly, and got a confirmation message, telling me that it had been successfully installed. Despite all that, that dll still didn't show up in Windows\System.

So, finally, I just manually copied it to the Windows\System folder, hoping that Grisoft will fix this installation bug before too long so I can totally uninstall and then reinstall AVG Free properly.

Now even though I still don't have an AVG Outlook plug-in checkbox in Outlook, the AVG Outlook Exchange plug-in checkbox is still there and now it is checked (enabled).

And now unfortunately, I can't tell if AVG is scanning my email messages, because it doesn't add any certification message to any of them -- another AVG Free bug that many users are encountering.

It was back in October that Grisoft announced that it was going to discontinue support for AVG Free 6.0 on December 31, 2004. That's a nice easy date for users to remember, but based on the scores of complaints and bug reports on the AVG Free forums, I think that December 31 date forced Grisoft to rush AVG Free onto the market before it was "ready for prime time." Rolling Eyes
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB,

You've mentioned not finding the dll in the windows\system directory. In every system that I've looked at since you've mentioned this(3 of them now, including the Win98SE system), I never find that dll in that directory, only in the main AVG folder. From this I would assume that is the only place that it needs to be. While most dll's do end up in a windows or windows\system folder it isn't a requirement and in many instances such as when there are many different versions of a file, the file will be placed in the program directory to avoid conflicting with the newer version usually found in the system directories.

Another bit of info that I picked up from the AVG forum, sometimes the certification isn't viewable in an html email (though I'm actually seeing it on mine at the house). I would suggest emailing yourself an email and previewing the raw message in Poptray to see if the cert is there but just not being shown in the html. You may also want to open the AVG Control Center (AVG CC) and verify that the E-Mail Scanner is actually set to certify your emails the way you are wanting. Just open the AVG CC, double click on E-Mail Scanner and on the plugin page select the AVG MS Outlook Extention (don't know why it doesn't use the same name as it does in Outlook but oh well) and then click the Configure button.

Here is some more info that I found with my W98SE system. After I found this I also checked my WXP system at work and found the same reg entry.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
String Key name - Outlook Setup Extension
String Key value - 4.0;Outxxx.dll;7;000000000000000;0000000000;OutXXX

This info was also present inside of the dll mentioned previously so it plays some part in the AVG add-in, I just don't know what. I didn't recall seeing this entry on my home system, but I probably just overlooked it.

I was unable to find where in the registry that the AVG add-in was enabled/disabled. I looked in the one location that I was aware of and there is no entry there for it there so it must be elsewhere. Hopefully one of the following references will help you enable this without having to resort to placing the dll in a place that it won't get updated such as the system directory.

For the rest of what I found, I'll just include the links so you can read the complete documents. In all cases these were references for other programs that used add-ins with Outlook so some may or may not be relevant.

Re-enabling an add-in that was disabled by Outlook due to some problem. This one is using the tool in the Help/About screen in Outlook to fix the problem.
http://www.inboxer.com/supp_faq712.shtml

Here is another method that used the tool in the Help/Detect and Repair screen to fix the problem.
http://josheinstein.com/journal/archive/2004/09/26/216.aspx

Finally here is one that discusses creating and enabling an add-in. You will need to have more experience with programming than I have to find this of much use but it may provide some info that will be helpful.
https://secure.codeproject.com/Purgatory/Outlook-addin.asp

Well since what I'm seeing on the Win98SE with Outlook 2k is the same as what I see on WinXP with Outlook 2003, I'm going to need to uninstall the free one from my work computers and put my other version back. If there is something else you may want me to check or just another question, it is easy enough for me to reinstall it if needed so just ask.
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

I really appreciate all the time and effort that you've put into trying to figure out this problem with me, but I've already tried all of the things you suggested several times (except for the one that requires programming).

According to the AVG Free forums, the dll that I mentioned earlier really does have to be in the Windows\System folder in order for the AVG Outlook plug-in to work correctly -- without it, a "missing DLL" error message appears when you check the box in Outlook to enable the AVG Outlook plug-in (or, in my case, when you check the box in Outlook to enable the AVG Outlook Exchange plug-in). Unfortunately, as you discovered, AVG Free often does not install that dll into the Windows\System folder of Win98, Win98SE, and WinME computers, which is why there are many AVG Free forum posts that describe how to manually install that dll in those OSs.

I'm afraid that, like many other AVG Free users, I'm going to have to wait for Grisoft to fix this (and other) bugs. Cool
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok CB,

I've only got one other thing that you could try. You've probably tried this also.. Embarassed but since I don't know everything that you've done, it can't hurt if I mention it. There are also 2 possible ways to enter this command, one is using LFN's and one use's the SFN. Since I'm seeing mostly the SFN references, I would venture the guess that is the correct way but don't hold me to this.. Laughing

Open a command prompt
(ie in the Run command type "cmd" and hit enter)
(ps I'm not really spelling it out for you, but for others that may read this also)

next type this at the command prompt: (SFN style)
c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgxch32.dll" (hit enter)

and test it again...

ok here is the alternate and the way I normally do this
again at the command prompt type: (LFN style)

c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgxch32.dll" (hit enter)

test again...

Well that is about it, sorry if it is something you may have already tried but as I said earlier it can't hurt to mention it.
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing AVG FREE on my laptop, it would no longer HIBERNATE properly.

It would close Windows and the screen would go dark, but it would not properly finish the hibernation sequence no matter how long I waited. It would not return from hibernation either. I would have to hold the power button until it shut off. I could then restart from hibernation or boot up.

I finally figured out the problem was AVG FREE.

I changed the settings in the AVG RESIDENT SHIELD, PROPERTIES, ON CLOSE SCANNING, to UNCHECKED.

Now things are back to normal operation for HIBERNATION.

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdsok wrote:
Ok CB,

I've only got one other thing that you could try. You've probably tried this also.. Embarassed but since I don't know everything that you've done, it can't hurt if I mention it.

Thanks again Very Happy , but unfortunately, that's one of the things that I tried several times, and each time I ran that command line, it told me that the dll had installed successfully, but after each time, I still got the "missing DLL" error message when I tried to enable the AVG Outlook Exchange plug-in within Outlook, until I finally just manually copied that dll to the Windows\System folder.

AVG has had a great history of providing powerful free antivirus solutions, so I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before they fix all of AVG Free's bugs. In the meantime, my safe-computing practices will continue to protect me from email viruses. Cool

Dave,
Glad to hear that you got your hibernation problem fixed. Cool
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB,

Well, I find it a bit hard to give up... ok, not really, I went back to Grisofts website to go visit the forum and see what was up. On the way I stopped by the FAQ and found several new (to me since the beta version) ones. Here is one that goes a step or two further with registering the dll.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/FAQ+6.11/lng/us/tpl/v5

Having seen how you research things already, you probably saw that one also, oh well.. Rolling Eyes
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy,

Wow Exclamation When it comes to looking for a solution to a problem, you're even more of a pitbull than I am Exclamation Exclamation

Nope, I had not seen that last solution, so I'm glad you pointed it out.

Unfortunately, even though I ran every step to register, then unregister the dll, then delete extend.dat, then re-register the dll, the end result was that it didn't make any difference at all to my Win98SE/Outlook 2000/AVG Free setup.

But thanks again anyway! Very Happy
Rdsok
PopTray Family

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB... I'm baaack..

Well I've been looking through the AVG forums (for other issues this time) and found another reference on fixing the Outlook plugin problem posted by Goblin

* Close Outlook
* Activate AVG Control Center
* Select E-mail scanner component and click Properties (or double-click or right-click, whatever)
* In the list of installed plugins select AVG Outlook Extension
* Click on the Disable button and end the dialog by clicking OK
* The E-mail scanner plugin should turn red and new button Activate should appear. Click on it.
* Run Outlook

G'luck
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that was one of the first things I thought to do on my own several days ago. And you're right -- sometimes DISabling and then RE-enabling a plug-in will get it to work correctly. Unfortunately, in my case, it didn't make any difference.

But, again, thanks! Wink
ComputerBob
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days ago, my AVG Free 7.0 updated itself to v7.0.296. The update included not only the latest virus sig file, but also changes to the AVG program itself. I didn't make any changes to my AVG config -- all I did was install the latest update.

For the past few days, AVG Free 7.0 has been working correctly on my computer: Now it is scanning (and certifying) incoming and outgoing mail, and the AVG MS Outlook Extension appears in AVG's Email Scanner config, just like it's supposed to.

Cheers to Grisoft for apparently fixing AVG Free 7.0. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PopTray Forum Index -> Anything All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: