PopTray home
 PopTray Forum Index 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Renier Crause Homepage 
Leave a copy of message on server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonym
First Timer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Leave a copy of message on server Reply with quote

Hello,

I just love Poptray

1. Is there a wat to "Leave a copy of message on server"?

2. Also there there a way to only see which email account have mail and how many "without" PopTray downloading all the emails?

Thanks,
Cindy
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leave a copy of message on server Reply with quote

anthonym wrote:
1. Is there a wat to "Leave a copy of message on server"?

Yes...
PopTray leaves the messages on the server unless you DELETE them AUTOMATICALLY (using RULES), MANUALLY (when you click DELETE) or when you click DELETE SPAM (after MARKing AS SPAM).

anthonym wrote:
2. Also there there a way to only see which email account have mail and how many "without" PopTray downloading all the emails?

Yes...
in PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, check the box for ENABLE QUICK CHECKING.

in PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, UN-check the box for RETRIEVE BODY WHILE CHECKING.

SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.

Then you can change from one account to another by clicking on the account tabs at the top of the MAIL TAB Window in PopTray.

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.
anthonym
First Timer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Jabroni
First Timer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is there a way to download only just new messages ?? (since I use my laptop + desktop, so I have both outlooks ocnfigured to leave the messages on servers, but everytime I restart poptray it redownloads all messages (and since im using an external program to send me alerts of new emails, imagine how crazy my cell becomes everytime i reboot my machine). For now I configured on my pop server to automaticlly expire mails that are 6+ days old, but that just fixes a bit the problem.

Other than that.. poptray is a great lil' utility.. keep up the good work on it Smile
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using PopTray's RULE Feature to EXECUTE your external program, then on your RULE, check the box for NEW MESSAGES ONLY.

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, USER INTERFACE, check the box for INDICATE VIEWED AND UNVIEWED MESSAGES.

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, MISCELLANEOUS, check the box for REMEMBER VIEWED MESSAGES.

SAVE RULES, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.

If you're not using PopTray to execute your external program then it should not have any effect on your messaging service.

Family Blog

Last edited by KY Dave on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Jabroni
First Timer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the problem is that everytime i restart the program it redownloads all headers (old plus new messages, all that are stored on the mail server inbox) so again all messages execute the rule which sends the message again (thats on every computer or program restart). I do have the 'New messages only' selected on the rule (and its the only rule i have)
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You problem is with the POP3 Protocol, it has no method of marking the messages on the server.

The same reason your Outlook on one machine can't mark a message read for the Outlook on another machine.

Outlook won't do that and neither will PopTray. Sorry.

For that kind of setup, you will need an IMAP account.

Family Blog
Jabroni
First Timer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks.. ill give it a try with the IMAP plugin and see if I can get this setup running. I tried doing some research, and it seems it is possible to check for new messages with pop3, but it will require getting the messageids and storing them locally, and then just compare the list you download agaisnt that database. (like in outlook when u are in an another machine, u get the message headers, i get all 'new' messages for that client) even if i already downloaded all the ones that were new on my other client. My first aproach was to code a lil' utility for the Email -> SMS notify, till i found this utility which saved me a bit of my time.. Smile and its pretty clean and usefull..
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you leave one machine running and let it do all the text messaging, instead of trying to sychronize two machines?

Family Blog
Jabroni
First Timer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the complete scenario...

1 outlook client on desktop via pop3
1 outlook client on laptop via pop3

and Im forwarding the headers of new messages from email to my cell via a email to sms gateway. that is running on my desktop.

i cant delete messages from my server because i like to have teh messages on my desktop and laptop, because sometimes i forget to close outlook and if i put that onces it downloads to delete it from server, i wont be able to read that email till i come back to my desktop.

but well i just tried with imap, and seems it fixed my problem, but still it might be a good feature to add to the future wishlist for this great tool Smile to support detecting real new messages via pop3 on the poptray (that can be saved after reboots/program restarts)
KY Dave
Not the Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
but still it might be a good feature to add to the future wishlist for this great tool Smile to support detecting real new messages via pop3 on the poptray (that can be saved after reboots/program restarts)

PopTray does that, it will save which messages have been read thru a reboot or restart, but not from one computer to another like you need.

Another solution, if the IMAP doesn't work out, use GMail. Then when you access the account, GMail moves them to ARCHIVE, so you could always access those ARCHIVED messages thru the web interface if needed.

Family Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PopTray Forum Index -> General PopTray All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: