email program

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Hongie
First Timer

email program

Post by Hongie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 am

Hi all,
I have two email addresses and two email programs, I use one for Family and the other for Friends, is there a way to setup PopTray to make rules for each , like, rule (email address for Family is received by specified mail program and Friends is received by another one, is that possible ???
Regards
Owen.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: email program

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 am

First let me mention... I deleted your duplicate post in the Poptray forum area ( this is the PoptrayU area )... Poptray is no longer being updated or supported since it doesn't support newer versions of Windows since XP. If you do have a newer version of Windows and aren't using PoptrayU, this would be a good time to switch.

Ok...

PoptrayU ( as was Poptray ) is just an email reader and only lists the emails that are on the email server and allows you to also delete emails before you open the email program you use. It doesn't direct which email program gets what emails, those are set within your email programs. So setup each email program for just the email accounts you want it to get email from.

However, in the rules you create, you can have them set for only specific email accounts. You can get more specific info in the Help file that is included with the program. In addition, in the account settings, you can select which email client you want to open for each or for it to use your default client when you click on the "Run Email Client" button.

Hongie
First Timer

Post by Hongie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:17 am

I am using PopTray (portable), I tried the new version of it poptrayU but it isn't as good as the old portable version which DOES WORK PERFECTLY GREAT ON WINDOWS 10 64BIT, as I mentioned I have the two mail addresses with the same server and have rules for my contacts which work perfectly except I was hoping for an option to use a separate mail program for family and one for friends, as I have special stationary for each (friends ,family) by being able to select the default mail program for either would be a real bonus for me at least!!!
Thank you for your quick reply and I will have a look at the rule settings again I may have not noticed some setting in the 3,2,0 pop tray which I will keep on using as In my system it works just great with not one problem :D

Hongie
First Timer

Post by Hongie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:05 am

I found my problem I missed the section (use default mail program and changed it to the mail Program I wanted for the category I wanted, friends/family
Thank you for the help.
Regards
Owen.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Poptray didn't get released in a portable version, so if someone made an fork of the program or altered it in some way... in which case you'd need to ask them for support.

PoptrayU is a direct fork of Poptray that added support for the later versions of Windows, it only differs slightly at most. The primary differences are under the hood and what locations the settings files ( ini, rules etc ) can be located in. It's possible that if Poptray works on a USB flash drive, that PoptrayU could be made in the same manner but it would need to be fully tested.

One area that could cause a potential problem in a portable version would be when you define specific email clients since not all computers may not have each one installed. If this were to happen, then the only problem would be when you tried to have it open those email clients if they didn't exist, you'd get either an error about them missing or nothing would happen.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 am

Poptray is no longer being supported or developed as I also mentioned. If you want to submit suggestions, you will need to use PoptrayU and there is a discussion area on it's main website... see http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:20 am

I've thought of another way to say this about email clients etc...

As mentioned, PoptrayU is just an email checker, it doesn't send emails anywhere. It is used to preview emails that exist on the email server before you download them with your email client.

Your email client retrieves the email from the email accounts that you have them setup to connect too. If you want your email client to receive email only from one account... then just set it up for a single email account. Then setup your second email client up to only receive from the second email account.