POPTrayU 5.2.6. Want Pop UP ?

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

sportman13
Still here

POPTrayU 5.2.6. Want Pop UP ?

Post by sportman13 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:23 am

I've been testing this program out. When my account is set to check using IMAP with, Gmail it will only popup on the 1st new message. Subsequent checks do not cause the Window or Balloon to appear even though the main window gets the additional new messages. Also, with it set to IMAP, all messages remain in bold text until I do something with them:https://i.imgur.com/9BjcycN.png If I change my account to check using POP, then the balloon and main window always popup with a new message; however, all previous messages are unbolded regardless if I've viewed them or not.(*)https://i.imgur.com/TZFEJu4.png If I click the "Check" button then that bolded message will become unbold. This does not happen when IMAP is selected for the account. Why the difference in bold/unbold based on the IMAP/POP setting? The viewed/unviewed messages for POP accounts does not seem to affect the behavior, checked or not.https://i.imgur.com/XXVvCtl.png(*) Is a "viewed" message one that you click on or that was simply in the window before the current email check? Just trying to understand the intended behavior.Version PopTray 3.2 and PopTrayU 5.0.15 does seem to work with both IMAP and POP to bring the window forward when there is a new message but the bold/unbold behavior works like the POP setting in 5.2.6. Using this in Windows 7 Pro.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: POPTrayU 5.2.6. Want Pop UP ?

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:35 am

Ok... 1st ( the easy one )...

POP3 doesn't support having a read/unread setting... IMAP does. So Poptray and PoptrayU have a slightly different meaning for read/unread in regards to a POP3 account.

Poptray 3.x was only made to support up to Windows XP which had much looser security settings. PoptrayU addressed the security settings issue by putting the config files in a user or all user folder and not in the program folder which is restricted by Windows. PoptrayU also fixed some additional bug fixes and has had some additional work done on it. For more specifics on the changes, check out the list on the PoptrayU home page http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/ ( not a secure webpage, so if your browser warns about it, it's not a big deal really, it's just old school website stuff )

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:06 am

Rdsok I did install POPTrayU 5.2.6. IMAP with Gmail it will not Pop UP when new emails come in here are some screenshots of my settings I had 10 emails 11th came in did not pop up when I opened POPTrayU 5.2.6 saw this 3rd bottom pic please can you tell me a fix
Attachments
pptt pop up.PNG
pptt pop up.PNG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
pptt pop up.PNG
pptt pop up.PNG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
pt e.PNG
pt e.PNG (181.28 KiB) Viewed 2637 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm

I don't have an answer for that one... I hate balloon pop-up so I keep that disabled and it was mentioned by another user ( or you under a different user account). I may suggest trying the beta version ( linked on the main homepage I gave you earlier under the download options ) which is 5.2.9 and see if that was address with it or not. If it doesn't address the issue, there is little I can do since I'm not the author nor a programmer... you could post on the authors discussion forum if you wished.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Oh a suggestion for testing... You said the balloon showed the first few times and not on the final one... If so set the number of seconds on the Deluxe balloon option for 0 ( zero ) seconds. This means the balloon will never go away on it's own and you'd have to click to get rid of it. This is only a test procedure and you can reset the amount of time back to what you may prefer. The test would help indicate if it's a timing issue between PoptrayU and your Windows or some other program running in the background. It's also possible that your protection software could affect this intermittently but to test for that you'd have to completely uninstall your protection software, something I tend to not recommend. Other than that... trying the beta version I mentioned is still where I'd start.

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Rdsok I tryed 5.2.9 did not pop up I tryed all versions the only version to pop up was PopTrayU 5.0.15 email is in bold type... the first time is is shown in the PoptrayU window. The next time you see it in the window, it will be normal light after a 1 min should the email stay bold type always til you click on the email message ? Here are screenshots better detail for you and could you please try pop up on yours
Attachments
pptr.PNG
pptr.PNG (65.41 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppptr.PNG
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppptr.PNG (55.72 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:21 pm

If you are setup using POP3 settings... the message should be bold until you've opened the account window. It has nothing to do with if you opened the message or not. If it's setup using IMAP settings, then it shows as read ( not bold ) after you have opened the message.

I'm not changing my settings for the balloon settings... if it doesn't work and others have reported the same as I mentioned, it's no use for me to verify it when the authors aren't doing any updates anyway. So I can explain things like the differences seen between POP3/IMAP or if someone doesn't understand something.... but that's all the help I can be ( other than keep out the spammers on the forum ).

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 am

Rdsok I tryed all versions the only version to pop up was PopTrayU 5.0.15 email is in bold type... the first time is is shown in the PoptrayU window. The next time you see it in the email message in the window, 1 min later it will be normal light color should the email stay bold type always til you click on the new email message ? Here is a screenshot of my settings
Attachments
poptrayuu ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.PNG
poptrayuu ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.PNG (88.33 KiB) Viewed 2629 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:00 am

As I mentioned I'm not messing with the balloon notification... there is nothing I can do there to help how PoptrayU behaves...

I can mention that when using the IMAP option... the email will remain bold until the email has been read... it doesn't matter if you read it in PoptrayU or some other email client... once read the IMAP server marks it as a read email. This is expected behavior with any IMAP account and how they are designed to work.

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:23 am

Rdsok you said when using the IMAP option... the email will remain bold until the email has been read... it doesn't matter if you read it in PoptrayU or some other email client... once read the IMAP server marks it as a read email. This is expected behavior with any IMAP account and how they are designed to work.I tryed 5.2.9 did not pop up with IMAP I tryed all versions the only version to pop up was PopTrayU 5.0.15 email is in bold type... the first time is is shown in the PoptrayU window. The next time you see it in the window, it will be normal light after a 1 min you said it will remain bold until the email has been read..mine dose not am I setting up wrong ? Here are screenshots better detail for you here
Attachments
pptr.PNG
pptr.PNG (65.41 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppptr.PNG
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppptr.PNG (55.72 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

I can't help further... all I can say is mine doesn't behave that way and I'm using the latest beta version.

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:25 pm

Rdsok dose it pop up for you which version are you using ? in IMAP and Pop how dose this work
Attachments
unread and read.PNG
unread and read.PNG (23.27 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 pm

As I've said before a few times, and I will not repeat again... I don't use the balloon pop-ups and have no interest in them. Others have mentioned they didn't work for them and that is all I can say about that. I have a mix of POP3 and IMAP... but that is irrelevant.

I have nothing more to say on any of these subjects you have brought up than what I've already said... it's a waste of my time and yours to keep repeating the same questions just using different words.

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:09 am

Rdsok for give me I want to know how IMAP and gmail work

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:37 am

I gave you the info I could... it is now up to you to learn anything else further that you may want to know

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Rdsok for give me I meant I want to know how IMAP and gmail worked in the New version you said you do not use IMAP ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 pm

sportsman13

You obviously seem to think the world and myself are here to serve you ... this is not how things work. If you want to learn more, you will need to do that on your own time. Go to school, use Google or some other search engine or whatever you want.... I am not require to even help, I only do that when I can and at this point I can go no further. This will be the last time I tell you this without taking further steps to convince you of it.

sportman13
Still here

Post by sportman13 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Rdsok in a world which people should lend a hand not listening to someone who ask a question is hurt full I wish you would please read my messages you will see am trying to resvole my PopTrayu for a few years about IMAP Gmail not Pop3 you said If you want to learn more, you will need to do that on your own time. Go to school, use Google or some other search engine or whatever you want.... If you will please lend a hand for some reason you want would you please direct me to theses K-Dave and Jessica Brown or someone else I did not mean any disrespect to you please answer