To install PopTrayU twice

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

To install PopTrayU twice

Post by homaquebec » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to install twice PopTrayU on the same computer running with Windows 10 Home ?

If it is possible, could you indicate me how to do.

Thanks.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: To install PopTrayU twice

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 pm

As far as I know, there isn't a way... but I never tried to install more than one since it doesn't make sense in most cases.

I'll describe it as I understand it...

Typical usage scenarios would have either a single user or multiple users using PoptrayU and that is supported. During installation you are asked if you want to have a shared, individual and I think a 3rd option a location on the network setup... at that point the program will put it's INI, IDS, PTDAT, CUSTOMIZE, log and other files in the appropriate location for that type of setup ( in the folders under APPDATA in each user account ). One PoptrayU folder would then be created in either the Local, LocalLow or Roaming folders under the APPDATA folder. PoptrayU then looks in these folders in some order ( unknown to me ) to see which one contains it's files I mentioned and then loads the first set it finds.

It also makes an install/uninstall set of info in the registry ... if you install too more than one location, this info would be updated only to the latest info.

It also places just the program files in the appropriate folder... ie in C:\Program Files ( if it's a 32b Windows ) or C:\Program Files (x86) ( for 64b versions of Windows ). All settings files are placed in the USERDATA folder I mentioned before.

So multiple installations, if you could do it even manually, would still result in each one using the same settings since they are loading the first set of settings that it finds in the USERDATA folders that it finds. If this would happen... the last PoptrayU program to load would probably fail with an error ( permission denied ) since the settings files would already be open by another instance that is already running.

I'll post additional stuff in a separate post since it's not about the basics of how/where things are located as much...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Typically if multiple setups are needed in PoptrayU... it's so it supports multiple user accounts so each user would have their own email account settings etc. So during installation, select the option that each user have their own settings. Then create a second ( 3rd, or 4th etc ) account in Windows itself... each user would get their own settings they need. This also allows other programs to be tailored to that users preferences as well allowing all users to use one set of program installations while still retaining separate configurations also.

Then there is the really long way around...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 pm

The really long way around this situation... is only available because the source files are available and can be freely changed to your own needs. This would require something many here ( including myself ) don't have... experience in programming. You'd basically have to make a custom version... call it whatever but as example say PoptrayX ... then edit it where everything goes so essentially it's a different version that has everything located in a different location.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks for explanations.

The reason why I asked that in that since Ì installed the latest Windows 10 udate, PopTrayU just checks one account even if I have two. I do not how to solve the problem so I thought that having PopTrayU installed twice will be a solution.

Do You have a better idea to solde my problem ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm

The Windows update SHOULDN'T have caused a problem... with the key word being shouldn't... I haven't allowed the latest ( 2004 ) update on my computer due to the various problems I've heard about and seen on my clients computers. In those cases, to help resolve them, I uninstalled the update and reverted them back to v 1909 for the time being. I'm going to continue on with other suggestions and ignoring the update as the potential issue, although it may very well be...

First suggestion ( I suspect you have already done this ), check that the additional accounts in PoptrayU are set as enabled on the accounts page for each.

Next.. update PoptrayU to the v5.2.9 beta release. I've been running this for a while now and have not had any issues personally. Jessica released the beta a long time ago and hasn't made any updates since that time. When running the update, remember to right click on the install file and select "Run as Administrator" so nothing is blocked by the system when you preform this part.

The last option I can suggest would be to revert back to the previous version of Windows 10. At some point, everyone will need to install it but hopefully by that time, MS will have addressed all of the issues that it has caused.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the work you`ve done.

Reading your last post, I saw an information that I have missed before : the account was not enabled. Now everything works fine.

Thanks a lot and have a good day.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:56 pm

Glad I could help a little bit homaquebec ...