„Poptray Settings"

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

sexy96
Still here

„Poptray Settings"

Post by sexy96 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Can anyone provide a link to "Poptray Settings"?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: „Poptray Settings"

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 pm

The settings are described in the program's help file which are not on the internet really... but the screenshots are on the main website if that helps any... See http://www.poptray.org/screenshots.php

Please note... Poptray is only made for Windows XP and older operating systems... To get support for newer versions of Windows ( including Windows 10 ) you will want to download/install PoptrayU which has been updated to support those newer versions of Windows.

What info you need to put into Poptray or PoptrayU will depend on what your email provider says is needed and can only be found on their website in their help files.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 pm

I have e-mails and this Contains:

Guten Tag
Hallo

And I can't remove it this way.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Ok... First let me explain something... You must ask the exact question you are wanting an answer to. In this last post and the previous I'm having to guess at what you want because you aren't saying it exactly. That can be frustrating for both of us. This will apply to any technical forum that you are asking for help on... I'll use your post as an example but I'm not doing this to pick on you but to show you why you need to be more specific.

IN the first post, you asked where there is a link to the Settings... I mentioned they aren't online but they are in the program help file. Based on your second post, it appears you weren't looking for just any settings but how to make a rule to delete a spam email that contained a word. ( If I'm not missing something, which is still very possible because you didn't even say that ... you just showed one example of a rule you made )

So when looking for specific information on a program... you need to say exactly what you are wanting to do or look for. You should also include other info that may be relevant like which version of the program you are using and asking about, what version of Windows ( or Android, IOS or whatever operating system you are running if that applies ) you are using. While it doesn't apply here, sometimes what exact hardware you are running may apply... so CPU, memory and things like that... if they apply to the situation.

The more info you provide, the more likely you can get an answer that helps you.

I'll post an actual reply in a moment to what I think you are asking... just wanted to cover what is considered basic info about asking a question on any forum first.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Currently the rule you made is looking for everything listed on that one line... not just a specific word in the list. Since all of those words with the symbols you included isn't in the email you are asking about... ie with just "Guten Tag" and/or "Hallo" the rule doesn't match so it doesn't delete the email.

If you are looking for any of those words... you would need to change a few things... What Poptray will match will only be exactly what is listed.

So first on the Needed option Select "Any Row" instead ... next...

Make one entry for each word or group of words you want it to look for... so in the Area, Compare and Text columns you would probably want...

Subject | Contains | Hallo
Subject | Contains | Guten Tag
Subject | Contains | Dringend
Subject | Contains | Re: Re:
Subject | Contains | Re:
Subject | Contains | Gewinne

Ok now lets talk about what happens if you use those as rules... If any of your friends or family ( or anyone ) sends you and email with any of those words listed in the Subject line... They will get deleted UNLESS you have whitelisted everyone you know in the whitelist area. Since those are common words, you may want to better qualify what you want or you will likely have emails you want, to get deleted because your rule is too generic.

Now you can get something a little more like you were trying to make and have all of them on one line by using RegExpr instead, which is short for regular expression. Regular expressions are very powerful when used correctly but it's a subject beyond what I can help you with. In short, it is a simple form of programming.

Here is a link to some very basic regular expression information that you can get you started on how to use them... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1626 . What would be better, would be to use Google or other search engine and then read up on them further and go beyond the basics of what that thread covered.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:35 am

I want to write a few words in one filter.

e.g.
Subject -> Contains:
pożyczka Nowy
pożyczka | Nowy
pożyczka|Nowy
pożyczka,Nowy
pożyczka, Nowy
pożyczka;Nowy
pożyczka; Nowy
pożyczka:Nowy
pożyczka: Nowy

This option doesn't work for me.
Does not remove e-mails.

Windows 7, PopTrayU 5.2.6.17

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Then you will need to use RegExp and not Contains... Contains requires that it matches exactly what you've typed. Read the post I linked you to on using regular expressions and it will give you a basic start to what to do.

Personally, I have forgotten most of the regular expression rules, so I won't be much help on that subject any longer.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks
I use Reg Exp everywhere.
I was wondering what "Contains" is for,
because Reg Exp does the same and more.

"Wildcard" is also redundant.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Regular expressions are powerful but they are more complicated than many people want to learn about. The reasons for the Contains and Wildcards etc are explained in the help file and there are reasons for both to exist in order to simplify it for others.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:27 pm

those words:
„pożyczka” i „Nowy”

If I write so:
Contains: pożyczka
Contains: Nowy

or
Reg Expr pożyczka
Reg Expr Nowy
Reg Expr pożyczka|Nowy

it will work too.
I don't need any Reg Expr knowledge to type this. :D

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Test the rules you want to try... to be careful, perhaps select to just mark as spam at first and once you are happy with the results change it to what you want.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:30 pm

I entered Reg Expr in the search engine
and it turns out that nobody was interested in it. :)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:01 pm

I think you were just joking... but if not ( or only a little bit )... search for "regular expression" instead... just be careful of which websites you go to. I only went to known safe websites and found a lot of info about the various types of regexpr that exist. It is used a lot by people comfortable with scripts and programming.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm

I entered Reg Expr in the search engine
and it turns out that nobody was interested in it

I meant here on the PopTrayU forum

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:16 pm

In the help file
I found this text:

Where is that button?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 pm

You must select the line with the RegExp on it

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Rdsok wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 pm
You must select the line with the Reg Expr on it
which line is it?
I finally chose a line from Reg Expr
as shown by the red arrow

[Image

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Hmm... you'll need to provide info that I listed earlier then...

What version of Poptray/PoptrayU are you using? ( Poptray is discontinued and no longer supported btw )
What version of Windows are you using?

In all the versions I've seen ( that had that option ), once you selected and highlighted the line in question, the option you are asking about was shown if it didn't show already. When something isn't working as expected, the recommended step is to uninstall the version you have, make sure you have the latest version for the program and re-install... In this case, I strongly recommend getting PoptrayU from it's website since its the only one supported now. I can't even test older Poptray versions on the Windows 10 versions I run.

sexy96
Still here

Post by sexy96 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 pm

wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:35 am
Windows 7, PopTrayU 5.2.6.17
I mastered the whole PopTrayU, only this button to verify the Reg Expr pattern remains.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Try updating to the beta version ( 5.2.9 ) and see if that resolves it for you... It was actually released in 2018 and has addressed some of the issues of the previous versions but never released as a final version. Unfortunately, the author hasn't made any updates since, so if this is a bug due to something on your system, it's unlikely to get addressed although I guess you could still report it on their discussion pages... just in case.

If you are using one of the available themes on PoptrayU or on your Windows itself, disable it to see if that helps address the issue. If you've changed the default Windows font size to something else, that can also affect other programs layout in some cases.

You are also missing the "Not" option checkbox which should be to the right of the option you mentioned.