hotmail

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Post Reply
TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 am

I cannot set up for imap hotmail. I downladed IMAP -third on up-http://www.poptray.org/plugins.php There is no istaller and i have no plug in folder.
The box for SSL/TLS cannot be ticked
I have pop3 and IMAP4 options
If I try to change the port I get error "Cannot create file "C:\Program Files (x86)\PopTrayU\PopTray.ini"

version 5.2.6

Win 7 64bit

I will need yahoo set up directions too

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 am

Moved to a PoptrayU forum area... you'd posted this in a Poptray forum area and Poptray is no longer supported.

But more on the subject at hand...

The plugin you linked to is only for earlier versions of the unsupported program Poptray itself... not for use with PoptrayU.


During PoptrayU's installation, you have the option to install the SSL plugin, select that first and let it install. Then PoptrayU has IMAP support built into it. Setup using the recommended server settings for the provider in question ( Hotmail in this case. )

You will need to uninstall/remove the old plugin before you proceed and if you missed the step to download/install the SSL plugin, you'll need to repeat the installation to get that option. I also recommend using the 5.2.9 beta version instead since it has fixes for the earlier version and has been out for a long time now. I suspect we won't see additional updates beyond that beta at this time since the author who made PoptrayU hasn't made any comments in a long time now.

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Rdsok wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 am
Moved to a PoptrayU forum area... you'd posted this in a Poptray forum area and Poptray is no longer supported.

But more on the subject at hand...

The plugin you linked to is only for earlier versions of the unsupported program Poptray itself... not for use with PoptrayU.


During PoptrayU's installation, you have the option to install the SSL plugin, select that first and let it install. Then PoptrayU has IMAP support built into it. Setup using the recommended server settings for the provider in question ( Hotmail in this case. )

You will need to uninstall/remove the old plugin before you proceed and if you missed the step to download/install the SSL plugin, you'll need to repeat the installation to get that option. I also recommend using the 5.2.9 beta version instead since it has fixes for the earlier version and has been out for a long time now. I suspect we won't see additional updates beyond that beta at this time since the author who made PoptrayU hasn't made any comments in a long time now.
Thanks.Where do i get the 5.2.9 beta. there was no option to install SSL. I had everything ticked but no SSL
I am uninstalling/reinstalling 5.29

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:27 pm

The 5.2.9 version is the beta... but it's also available from the download area on Sourceforge here http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/download/ ... that has links to both the latest release as well as the beta's ...


The option to download/install the SSL plugin is on the last screen of the main installation. By default it isn't checked and only the run PoptrayU option is checked... uncheck the run option and select the download option instead. After the download completes, run it to install that plugin.

If PoptrayU is still running, even if minimized to the system tray, it must be closed and reopened for any new options to be shown. Typically you'd close it by right clicking the systray icon and selecting exit... another option is to just restart the computer itself.

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Rdsok wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:27 pm
The 5.2.9 version is the beta... but it's also available from the download area on Sourceforge here http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/download/ ... that has links to both the latest release as well as the beta's ...


The option to download/install the SSL plugin is on the last screen of the main installation. By default it isn't checked and only the run PoptrayU option is checked... uncheck the run option and select the download option instead. After the download completes, run it to install that plugin.

If PoptrayU is still running, even if minimized to the system tray, it must be closed and reopened for any new options to be shown. Typically you'd close it by right clicking the systray icon and selecting exit... another option is to just restart the computer itself.
OK thank you

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:57 pm

clicking tray icon open thunderbird my default. Can i have it open PTU instead?
Last edited by TrayMan on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm

TrayMan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:57 pm
clicking tray icon open thunderbird my defauklt. Can i have it open PTU instead
A single click will open PoptrayU ... a double click opens your email program.

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Rdsok wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm
TrayMan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:57 pm
clicking tray icon open thunderbird my defauklt. Can i have it open PTU instead
A single click will open PoptrayU ... a double click opens your email program.
ok thanks

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:37 pm

from the second i click check the hourglass never stops and I get a message "in error" every now and then while downloading 1800 messages. It is very slow and when i quit and start the downloaded ones are gone again?
I downloaded all have to stop checking to stop the hourglass. Then could read the messages but when i quit the program they were gone when i opened it again. Is this how it works?

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:48 am

The "slowness" is caused by having so many emails in your inbox... an inbox isn't made to store everything, it slows down your email programs and checkers ( like PoptrayU ) every time you open it.

Organize your email into either other folders if you need to keep them... or delete the ones you don't need. Having an excessive amount like that will always affect what you use to read your email with.

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 am

I see I skimmed through your questions a little too fast and missed some of what you asked... oops. I also wanted to get back to the amount of emails you had with a little more info.

First thing to remember, is PoptrayU is an email checker and not an email client program so it isn't a replacement for an actual program. It can view emails but that isn't it's primary use.

IMAP email typically has a way to show an email as viewed or not. PoptrayU has an option ( Under Main Window in options ) to hide viewed messages. If that is enabled, then the previously listed emails would be hidden from view had you looked at the list of available emails.

A little more about the number of emails you have and why I mentioned that is not the correct way recommended to use an email service. When using an IMAP email server, your email client ( or PoptrayU ) must create an index of all emails that are currently in the inbox. With the average email of 75k ( everyone's email is different, your average may be higher or lower but I'll use the latest stats from Feb 2020 here ) and you having 1800 ( more or less ) emails in the inbox... That means on average, your email client or PoptrayU will have to index and keep up with around 13.5 Gb of emails every time it is opened. That doesn't mean it's downloading the whole emails, but it still has to keep track of them none the less and that takes a considerable amount of time. How fast it happens depends on several factors... how fast the email server is, how fast your internet connection is and how fast your computer can process all of those each time.

In addition, most email service providers will have a limit on the total amount of email ( inbox and all of your folders you may have ) you can save as well as how big a single email can be. I no longer know what the max limits for a standard Hotmail account is, if I were to guess it'd be about 15Gb since that is what they allow on Onedrive for free ( you can purchase more if needed ).

Personally and professionally, I use a standard email client on my computers that I have organized into folders. When I get an email on an IMAP server that I want to keep, I copy it over to a personal folder instead of leaving it on the server. That way my server never gets full no matter how many emails I may have saved locally. I do leave emails on the server until I no longer need to access them from other computers or my phone, but once I'm done with them, I archive them to my personal or work computers as needed so in case I need to reference them at a later time, I can.

TrayMan
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 am

Re: hotmail

Post by TrayMan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:28 pm

it's not for you to say the correct way to use an email service. Poppeeper never had any problem with all those emails and several other accounts with as many.The only reason I got rid of it is because they place an advert in it.

I think poptrayu is pretty poor really so I'm uninstalling it. Always in some error

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA

Re: hotmail

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:25 pm

You are certainly welcome to continue being unorganized and using email in a manner it wasn't designed for... I was just passing on the information that I'd learned over the last 31 years I've been professionally working on computers.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest