5.2.6: Different behavior between POP and IMAP Configurations.

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

MarkRH
First Timer

5.2.6: Different behavior between POP and IMAP Configurations.

Post by MarkRH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 am

I've been testing this program out for sportman12. When my account is set to check using IMAP, it will only popup on the 1st new message. Subsequent checks do not cause the Window or Balloon to appear even though the main window gets the additional new messages. Also, with it set to IMAP, all messages remain in bold text until I do something with them:

If I change my account to check using POP, then the balloon and main window always popup with a new message; however, all previous messages are unbolded regardless if I've viewed them or not.(*)

If I click the "Check" button then that bolded message will become unbold. This does not happen when IMAP is selected for the account. Why the difference in bold/unbold based on the IMAP/POP setting? The viewed/unviewed messages for POP accounts does not seem to affect the behavior, checked or not.

(*)Is a "viewed" message one that you click on or that was simply in the window before the current email check? Just trying to understand the intended behavior.

Version 5.0.15 does seem to work with both IMAP and POP to bring the window forward when there is a new message but the bold/unbold behavior works like the POP setting in 5.2.6.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: 5.2.6: Different behavior between POP and IMAP Configurations.

Post by Rdsok » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 am

That is probably a question for the author instead... go to her discussion page for that ( since she doesn't come by here often )

All I know is that the original Poptray wasn't made for IMAP and it was later added as a plugin by a 3rd party... As I mentioned, the way IMAP servers act are all slightly different since the standard itself isn't a strict standard like the POP standard is.

I will never recommend using IMAP... POP is just more reliable.

MarkRH
First Timer

Re: 5.2.6: Different behavior between POP and IMAP Configurations.

Post by MarkRH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Alright, made thread here: https://sourceforge.net/p/poptrayu/disc ... /b769cf7f/

(Personally, I have no need for the program, just helping out)