XP Welcome Screen Unread Email Count

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

First Timer

XP Welcome Screen Unread Email Count

Post by kingandsoraka » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 am

This may be more appropriate as a new feature request (and I note a poll on the subject way back in 2003) but just in case it's possible using rules ...

Is there any way of updating the registry Unread Email Count with PopTray so that it displays the count on the XP Welcome Screen (the login screen that appears when you have user switching enabled)?

If not, any ideas on the best way to do this? I'd rather not install a second notifier just to achieve this but if I have to I will as PopTray is too good to disable.

PopTray Family

Re: XP Welcome Screen Unread Email Count

Post by Rdsok » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:08 am

Poptray ( the original ) is no longer being developed by Renier the original developer... It's forum areas and main website are just being kept available for those that may have an interest and much of the info applies to the forks of Poptray that are available. That is why most of the Poptray forum areas are locked.

PoptrayU is a fork of Poptray being developed by jojobear and is available from http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/

There is also a forum area for PoptrayU here as well as discussion board over on sourceforge.net ... you may request a feature there if you wish. You may also request it here, but jojobear doesn't visit here often.

Things to consider... XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and is not even getting security updates any longer. Most programs that are now available do not even support it ( PoptrayU still does ). Finding a developer that will add a feature to an OS that isn't even being supported by the original company that made it... will be hard to find because XP is such a diminishing market that it is unlikely to be worth their effort for additional development.