Suddenly my Gmail account stopped working

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

PopTrayer
Evolving

Suddenly my Gmail account stopped working

Post by PopTrayer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 am

Suddenly my Gmail account stopped working. Strange as several other Gmail accounts are still working fine. I checked the data and everything is as usual. What can I do?

Exclamation during checking: Authentication failed / Invalid credentials (Failure)

imap.gmail.com
port: 993
protocol: imap ssl

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: Suddenly my Gmail account stopped working

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:02 pm

Log into your account using a web browser to verify your username and password. If you still have issues and can't, use their recover password feature. When done, update them in Poptray after that.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:08 pm

FYI... If you are still using the original Poptray, I thought I'd mention it is no longer supported and recommend that you update to the fork called PoptrayU found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/poptrayu/

PopTrayer
Evolving

Post by PopTrayer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm

My gmail works properly on every mail-clients (on PC & phone) Problem is only with PopTray. And strangest thing is that doesnt work only this acount. I have a few gmail accounts and others works fine!

If I have to I update PopTray. Now I would like to resolve problem here with present version.
Can I install new-one version on old-one without loosing my all data from old-one poptray?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:02 pm

PopTrayer wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm
My gmail works properly on every mail-clients (on PC & phone) Problem is only with PopTray. And strangest thing is that doesnt work only this acount. I have a few gmail accounts and others works fine!
That indicates a corruption on the settings for that account. If that is all it is, you should be able to delete and recreate that account and it should work... sort of. Poptray's add-on to support IMAP was buggy and this may be one of those bugs showing up.
PopTrayer wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm
If I have to I update PopTray. Now I would like to resolve problem here with present version.
Can I install new-one version on old-one without loosing my all data from old-one poptray?
There is no direct update of Poptray over to PoptrayU... You can manually copy the .INI, .PDAT, .CUSTOMIZE files typically found in the Poptray program file directory over to the %APPDATA%\Roaming\PoptrayU folder.

One of the reasons that Poptray isn't compatible with newer Windows version than XP is because of the security changes MS made where programs and typical users are restricted from writing files into the program files areas and these were moved into the %APPDATA% folders instead. This change is made so malware can't install in OS or other system file areas where they can hide easier.

When installing PoptrayU and you are asked if you want to download the SSL libraries, say yes and install that before setting up ( or copying those files manually ) and starting it. IMAP is directly supported by PoptrayU and isn't an add-on like before but it still needs the SSL library add-on installed.

PopTrayer
Evolving

Post by PopTrayer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:28 pm

That indicates a corruption on the settings for that account. If that is all it is, you should be able to delete and recreate that account and it should work... sort of. Poptray's add-on to support IMAP was buggy and this may be one of those bugs showing up.
I did it - doesnt work!
Do I have to install once again IMAP plugin?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 am

PopTrayer wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:28 pm
I did it - doesnt work!
Do I have to install once again IMAP plugin?
What didn't work... the old version of Poptray that is known to be buggy? If so, then you didn't follow my suggestion to update to PoptrayU and you did not "do it". I'm not going to try and provide support on a program version that was discontinued long ago or even make guesses as to what is going on with it.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 am

I also need to mention that you should completely close and restart Poptray or PoptrayU after making any settings change. That will ensure the change is enabled.

PopTrayer
Evolving

Post by PopTrayer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 am

I made it clear: One of the gmail accounts is not working. Others work. It happened suddenly. I removed them and added them again. It did not help. I restarted the application & PC - without successfully.

I do not want to install a new application since I would lose data from the old one (that's why I asked if I could install a new one on the old one)

Besides ... it's only one of the accounts error. Others work!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm

As I mentioned... Poptray is no longer supported since the last update released back in 2013 and it only supports up to Windows XP ( which MS stopped supporting in 2010 ).

I will mention to double check your Gmail settings themselves to ensure that IMAP is enabled ( on Gmail )... and that your Google account settings ( on Google ) also allow less secure programs/apps in it's settings.

After that... I can only suggest you use the recommended version because it did address many bugs which also included IMAP support.

PopTrayer
Evolving

Post by PopTrayer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 pm

I will mention to double check your Gmail settings themselves to ensure that IMAP is enabled ( on Gmail )... and that your Google account settings ( on Google ) also allow less secure programs/apps in it's settings.
I checked it because to this time everything was fine!

Of course you can always say that you recommend the newest version but what is gist to make a topic in this part of forum If every your answer can be - Install new version? I think You can help here because this part of forum is connected with "old" Poptray

PopTrayer
Evolving

Post by PopTrayer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 pm

I checked it because to this time everything was fine!

Of course you can always say that you recommend the newest version but what is gist to make a topic in this part of forum If every your answer can be - Install new version? I think You can help here because this part of forum is connected with "old" Poptray

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Yes, this is the original Poptray forum... but it is still a discontinued product that is no longer supported because it is so old and it does have known issues that were never resolved. This forum ( and website ) still exists due to the kindness and generosity of the original author even after he chose to stop providing updates and support to his project. In fact, he was happy to also provide a forum area for the newer PoptrayU since he liked seeing his product continue being updated by another user.

This forum also has a PoptrayU forum area which is the main area that help is provided for. Just because you choose to use a discontinued product doesn't automatically mean others have to provide you support... especially volunteer users such as myself which also has the right to choose to or not to provide assistance even if it's on a currently supported product.