PopTray doesnt work without google authorisation OAUTH2

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

PopTrayer
Enthusiast

PopTray doesnt work without google authorisation OAUTH2

Post by PopTrayer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:56 pm

How can I authorise poptray for google?
I cannot receive gmails on poptray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: PopTray doesnt work without google authorisation OAUTH2

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:53 am

Actually Poptray isn't supported for any version of Windows released after Windows XP... but PoptrayU is... That aside, I have heard no plans of updating PoptrayU for Oauth2 ... In fact, even a lot of older email clients are in the same situation and won't work with the changes Google made.

PopTrayer
Enthusiast

Post by PopTrayer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:45 am

Ok - PopTrayU or older PopTray - doesnt matter...

...so I understand that google actually blocked a many types of mails in the world and you count that they will change something because people will revolt?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:51 pm

PopTrayer wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:45 am
Ok - PopTrayU or older PopTray - doesnt matter...

...so I understand that google actually blocked a many types of mails in the world and you count that they will change something because people will revolt?
I didn't say or imply any of that. Conspiracy theories may be fun to entertain, but they seldom represent the actual facts.

Facts... Google announced a while back ( I think it was sometime last year but I deleted the email and can't verify it exactly ) that they were going to move to Oauth2 because it provides more security than the other options available. They stated it was going to change over on the 1st of the month which was delayed slightly until around the 7th. So they were not blocking any program being actively developed, in fact they gave ample heads up to any programmer that the change was coming.

Undoubtedly, people will complain about the change, they always do about any change... Will that lead to an outcry, revolt or uprising strong enough to make a difference? It's hard to say beyond that they will complain.

I then stated I had not heard that PoptrayU will get an update to address this because there have been no word about it at that time ( about the 7th ). That has changed about 6 days ago. Jessica Brown ( jojobear99 on here ) has stated she is going to attempt to make an update if possible. The libraries that PoptrayU currently uses do not support Oauth2. She is going to have to TRY and reinvent the wheel but will not have time to start on that until at least August or September. She said until then, to use Google's alternate method for less secure programs. The instructions are mentioned here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833