order of rules

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

pviton
Enthusiast

order of rules

Post by pviton » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:21 pm

If 2 PopTray rules apply to a given email, which one actually fires and which will be listed in the log? (I want to test that a rule I've composed is actually doing something).

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:35 pm

Both, and it should show both in the log.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

pviton
Enthusiast

Post by pviton » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:56 pm

No, I don't think so --- at most one rule per email is written to the log. What I really wanted to know was whether that one rule in the log is the one which actually took action on the email - is that correct?

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:14 pm

I hope that whichever rule is more "severe" would be the one that is logged.

For example, if one rule marks a certain message as spam, but a separate rule automatically deletes that same certain message, then I hope that the deletion rule is the one that is logged.

In cases where two rules apply to the same message, but the two rules have the same level of severity, then I guess I wouldn't really care which one got logged.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:19 pm

Both should get logged.

pviton
Enthusiast

Post by pviton » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:30 pm

Renier, if you mean that if 2 "delete" rules apply to the same email, then the log should contain 2 entries (assuming that both rules specify Log Entries) then I don't think it's working correctly. Lots of the spam that I get falls under 2 or more rules, and I've never seen more than one entry in the log per message. And as a matter of fact, I like the current behavior - it minimizes the size of the log file, so please don't change it!

(If you mean only that a "delete" and a "protect" instruction should result in two log entries, then I'm not sure about this one).

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:07 pm

I think that the rigth behavior of PT when a rule deletes a message is not to parse the following rules (there is no message to continue on) so not to log them.

If this is already possible, could my #1 request be implemented? :evil: (sorry Renier, I couldn't resist).

++V

pviton
Enthusiast

Post by pviton » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:17 pm

Consider the case where rule1 says "delete" but rule2 says "protect". Unless Renier makes ordering of the rules relevant, then we obviously want to continue down the list.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:37 pm

vitoco wrote:[...]
If this is already possible, could my #1 request be implemented? :evil: (sorry Renier, I couldn't resist).

++V
What is this #1 request ?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:09 am

pviton wrote:Consider the case where rule1 says "delete" but rule2 says "protect".
Actually I run the "protect" rules first, and then run through the rest of the rules.

I'm not sure if I would log a second delete rule if the message is already marked for deletion. Probably not, but other kind of rules will log after that.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:11 pm

Renier wrote:Actually I run the "protect" rules first, and then run through the rest of the rules.
Argh! So rules are not run in a strict ascending order... :(

In that case, my request #1 is out of place, that is a "stop parsing rules" rule option. I'll have to think more about this before I comment about this news. :?

++V