PopTray and Spam Sleuth?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

PopTray and Spam Sleuth?

Post by rvdc2003 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:35 pm

Maybe I'm asking the impossible, but has anyone successfully made PopTray work with Spam Sleuth 3.0 (www.bluesquirrel.com). Spam Sleuth looks like a promising, comprehensive antispam utility that I would like to try out, but not if PopTray can't work with it.

Ron

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Managed to make it work, but...

Post by rvdc2003 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:03 am

I managed to make PopTray work with Spam Sleuth--that is, PopTray can check the e-mail and indicates there is new e-mail, but all fields in the list of new e-mail are empty (i.e., there as many new-mail icons as there are new mail messages, but the Title, To, Subject, and Date columns are blank).

Does anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Thx
Ron

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:46 am

POP3 Proxy Mode
Benefits
· Spam Sleuth always analyzes ALL of your messages
· Timing between Spam Sleuth and your e-mail program is not a concern.
· Messages are only downloaded once from your ISP.
· You don't have to store your password with Spam Sleuth.
Disadvantages
· You must change your Incoming (POP3) Server setting in your e-mail program
to 'localhost' or 127.0.0.1, but this can be done automatically by the
configuration wizard.

· Spam Sleuth must be running for you to get e-mail.

Polling Mode
Benefits
· No configuration of your e-mail program is needed.
· Spam Sleuth doesn't have to be running for your e-mail program to get your email.
Disadvantages
· You must make sure Spam Sleuth analyzes your e-mail before your e-mail
program gets your e-mail, or the spam will get through.

What is 'POP3 Proxy Mode'?
In POP3 Proxy Mode, Spam Sleuth will get all of your e-mail from your e-mail server and analyze it.
It will separate the spam from the good e-mail and then act as a server for your good e-mail.
In POP3 Proxy Mode, Spam Sleuth will set itself up as an e-mail server on the standard POP3 Port of
110 on your local computer. It rejects any attempts to access it from other computers, unless you tell
it otherwise. Your e-mail program can access the Spam Sleuth server by configuring your Incoming
Server (POP3) setting to localhost, which is just another name for the IP address 127.0.0.1.

What is 'Polling Mode'?
In Polling Mode, Spam Sleuth will get all of your e-mail from your e-mail server and analyze it. It
will determine which messages are spam and will tell the server to delete the spam messages. Spam
Sleuth keeps a temporary backup copy of the deleted messages tightly compressed so you can see it
in the Mail Jail and UnSpam it if necessary.
In Polling Mode, you do not need to make any changes to your e-mail program. But you have to
make sure that Spam Sleuth runs before your e-mail program so that it has a chance to get rid of your
spam.
Polling Mode is great for cleaning out web accounts that you want to be able to access from
anywhere. Spam Sleuth will leave just the good e-mail in the web account.
IMO

It seems easy enough to set up, but the controls and configuring the filters are very complicated!

I don't think it would function very well with PopTray, as it must do it's business before PopTray.

If the timings weren't right, PopTray would find spam before Spam Slueth (SS) had a chance to delete it using the Polling Mode.

Using the Proxy Mode, Spam Slueth would be connecting to the internet and downloading all your messages, then PopTray would check with SS to see if there were any 'good' messages left in SS.

I suggest K9, you can download at http://keir.net
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

SpamPal or K9

Post by rvdc2003 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:37 am

KY Dave,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm currently running SpamPal, which works fine, but I thought I'd try something else. Would you recommend K9 over SpamPal?

Ron

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:15 pm

Yes, I would.

K9 works better at detecting all spam. It isn't reliant on the from addresses that can be faked. It filters on the actual content of the messages.

That is also a slight problem, it must have the entire message downloaded before it rates the message. I'm on a dial up connection but still use K9. It takes a little longer, but is much more accurate.

You should set up a whitelist in PopTray to make sure your friends emails get thru even if K9 might mark them as Spam. If this happens, you open K9 and remark them as GOOD and it won't happen the next time. Once using K9 you only need one PopTray rule to MARK AS SPAM.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.