PayPal sucks !

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:30 pm

Renier wrote:As said before, my account is in "limited status". I cannot transfer funds to other PayPal users.

After more emails, PayPal has now said I must fax them a utility bill for them to send my money to my postal address. Unfortunately my electricity works on a pre-paid cash system (common in SA), and since I'm renting, the owner pays the other utilities.

Failing to fax the documentation, they said they will release my money in 180 days.

This is actually becoming amusing.
I think it's a progress.

You shoul probably have one or tow documents that will identify you (a driver's license, for example) that PayPal could accept. I understand that this company needs a valid identification before sending you the money.

A "certificate" from your town of from the police with a seal and the mention of your name and address could be accepted.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:44 am

Just an update.

They have accepted the documents I faxed, and have enabled my account, so I can send money (but not to receive).

So I've sent the money to someone I trust, and now he'll get it to me.

Almost done!

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:08 am

Good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

genestoy
Enthusiast

Post by genestoy » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:10 pm

Renier,
What a hassle, but I am glad you finally got it handled!
Gene

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:19 pm

I am happy for You. Almost a Christmas gift!
:D

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:55 pm

Every problem has a solution! 8)
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

Lark_X-RAM
Still here

Post by Lark_X-RAM » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Hi Renier,
this is my first posting here and let me express my profound appreciation of PopTray. Thank you for that work :-)

ref. 2 PayPal:
What does that signify for future payments?
I mean, will your PayPal account revive or will you establish something
different?

Then let me tell you, that I would like to have PopTray itself built as a Netscape Plug-In, which could then easily be integrated into the OPERA-browser, which I recommend to my customers (although the new M2-eMailer of OPERA is NOT yet worth a recommendation - in the contrary ;-(( - but the ideas for M2 and the browser are fine!).

Do you see a chance for that - maybe you have a look at OPERA yourself.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:50 am

Lark_X-RAM wrote:I would like to have PopTray itself built as a Netscape Plug-In
Netscape already have an email notifier :o
Ok, I suppose it is not a plugin... and I disabled it when I installed PopTray in the same box. :wink:

++V

OzGreg
Enthusiast

Post by OzGreg » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:09 am

Sad to see Paypal going down the drains like this.. But it seems the way of the net when a product gets to a certain popular stage that they just want to service the "big customers" and burn the rest.

Like a lot of people here I am proud to be a donator to Poptray as our way of thanking for the countless hours Renier has spent in the past on this very fine product and at least the money has gotten back into your hands..

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:43 am

Good news.

With the help of Edward Mendelson (forum user and PC Mag contributing editor), I finally have all the donations in my bank account. I really want to thank Edward for all his effort, and all the financial costs he absorbed in getting the money to me. It's good to know that there are people out there willing to be so helpful and selfless.

I decided to use the money on something specific otherwise the money just disappears into void. So I've bought myself a PlayStation 2. That way I will always remember that the PS2 comes from the PopTray community.

Thanks again to all the people who donated, and thanks to for all the kind words and help offered in getting the money out of PayPal. It took 3 months of emails and faxes to their customer service, and the help of an American user, but in the end I got the money out.

I probably won't setup a donation system again.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:19 pm

I'm very happy for the conclusion of this affair. I also appreciate what you wrote about the help of some people and specially one.

Have a lot af pleasure with your PlayStation|

rinino
First Timer

Donations

Post by rinino » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:47 pm

If I like and continues to use a freeware - and especially on a daily basis as with PopTray - I always make a contribution. It may not always be that big but ...

So: I really miss the opportunity to be able to donate!

Richard
Stockholm, Sweden

bellgamin
First Timer

Post by bellgamin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:29 pm

BUMMMMMP!

I would hope to keep this thread on the front burner a while longer. There has GOT to be a way for people to contribute to POPTray.

Could you establish a bank account, perhaps? That way, those who want to contribute could possibly mail a check made out to the order of your account? I have no idea how this would work, but I KNOW it's possible because I have contributed to others in this way.

Could someone offer a suggestion as to how this can be done?

aloha to all from Hawaii... bellgamin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guiding stars above you,
Sunshine on your way,
Many friends to love you,
Joy in work and play,
Laughter to outweigh each care,
In your heart a song,
And gladness waiting everywhere
All your whole life long!

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:25 am

I read somewhere that PayPal is now accepting South African users again.

But PopTray is just a hobby, and since SourceForge is hosting it for free, it isn't costing me anything (except the small price of the domain name registration every year).

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't expect any donations.

Mindblower
Still here

It's better to give than receive, right?

Post by Mindblower » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:48 am

But if it makes someone feel good inside, since they truly want to show appreciation for software such as yours, why deny them the pleasure, Mindblower! :?: