PayPal sucks !

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

PayPal sucks !

Post by Renier » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:14 am

I basically lost all my PopTray donations.

I used to accept donations using PayPal. But since my credit card expired, PayPal doesn't allow me to add my new credit card, because they no longer accept new customers from South Africa. Without a credit card on their system it is no longer possible for me to accept donations, or even for me to use the money I received over the past two years.

In short PayPal has all my money, and there is no way for me to get it back. After a multitude of emails to their customer support (which is mostly answered by auto-reply bots) that takes days and days to be replied to, they just keep on saying that I have to add a US bank account to withdraw my money. Of course I don't have a US bank account.

After reading the http://www.paypalsucks.com website, it looks like this is not just bad customer support, but rather their business model.

For those on the forum, who's interested, I've received about $700 in donations, and haven't spent much of it, since I was leaving it PayPal to spend on PopTray related stuff (like the poptray.org domain). At least the people who made donations in the last month ($75) should have their money refunded, because I haven't accepted it on the PayPal system.

I now have to release a PopTray 3.0.2 to remove the donation link on the about page. It doesn't help that people give donations, and I can't accept them. Will all translators please update their file with the new phrases added in PopTray 3.0.1 too.
Last edited by Renier on Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genestoy
Enthusiast

Post by genestoy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:42 am

Renier,
How about letting someone you can trust to give PayPal a US bank account number to withdraw your money and then send it to you?
Gene

antoine
Enthusiast

Re: PayPal sucks !

Post by antoine » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:51 am

Renier wrote:I now have to release a PopTray 3.0.2 to remove the donation link on the about page. It doesn't help that people give donations, and I can't accept them. Will all translators please update their file with the new phrases added in PopTray 3.0.1 too.
Shall we withdraw or leave, in our respective language files, the line concerning the donation ?

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:14 pm

Sorry to hear about this Renier.

I already have been brainstorming with another PT addict to find a way to help you but we did not find an answer.

I had not read the PP victim site before, i did just 5 minutes ago. After reading it came to my mind that probably nothing will help.

Beside the fact you lost money (which is a nasty feeling for you as an individual) i feel very sorry that a beautifull piece of software, actively supported by betatesters and translators all over the world, has been robbed from its financial backup.

Until now i have not donated for PT but hereby i promise you to donate as soon as you have found a reliable alternative.
(may other users follow........)

BTW What was the most common used amount of money donated??

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:42 pm

quosego wrote:BTW What was the most common used amount of money donated??
People usually donated between $5 and $25 with three people as high as $50.

genestoy
Enthusiast

Post by genestoy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:13 pm

Renier,
I still think there is a way to get your money back
1--if there is no way for anyone to charge anything to your account ie: no credit card on file you are safe giving out your PayPal info to someone you can trust.
2--give someone with a US bank acct your PayPal account info including password (you should trust them)
3--they in turn will enter your PayPal account and set up their bank account
and then withdraw the funds to their bank account
4--they then will have to send you your money via money order or some other means

I have used PayPal for several years, but then again I never leave any money in my account and always transfer it to my bank account the same day it hits PayPal.
Gene

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:36 pm

I think you should open an AMERICAN EXPRESS credit card account.

I suggest you apply for the Blue Card, it has no annual fee and online possibilities.

After opening that wouldn't you then be able to access your PayPal account with that card or would they simply give you a South African American Express card?

Here is the South Africa phone # 27-11-359-0200 for American Express Customer Service.

Apply for American Express

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:01 am

I am so angry about this affair that I wrote a letter to the General Consulate of United States of America of my town. I told all the story and asked the consul (a lady) to do something about that. I brought the letter myself this morning. I will let you what answer I will receive.

spiff

Post by spiff » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:57 am

THis is a real disgrace, I used paypall somewhere in september, does this mean you never got it :x

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:15 pm

spiff wrote:THis is a real disgrace, I used paypall somewhere in september, does this mean you never got it :x
I got it, but it sits in my PayPal account, and I can't get it out of there. The donations I received in November, I never accepted, so they will be refunded after 30 days.

I'll see if adding someone else's US account will work to get the money out. Or just adding a US credit card and spending it all at eBay.

But whatever the result, I won't be using them to accept donations again in the future.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:49 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble with PayPal. I hope that you quickly find a way to get the money that belongs to you.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:23 am

genestoy wrote:How about letting someone you can trust to give PayPal a US bank account number to withdraw your money and then send it to you?
I tried this, but PayPal doesn't allow you to add someone else's details.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:45 pm

can´t you just transfer the Money to someone others Paypal account?

genestoy
Enthusiast

Post by genestoy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:58 pm

Renier,
That last reply is a good one--you can "purchase" something from another PayPal member and "pay" them the $700 from your PayPal account. They in turn will send you the money. You will lose whatever the charge would be for the transaction, but that will get you almost all of your money!
Gene

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:35 pm

You cannot send or receive money without a credit card added to your account. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem, I would just spend it all.

Irmax
Still here

Post by Irmax » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:37 pm

Renier,

I'm very sorry for your financial loss of PT's monetary back-up and for not being able
to help you directly, to recover your 'frozen' PayPal-funds! :(

Eventhough I have used PopTray for more than a year now, I never bothered to
make a donation, my deepest apologies! :oops: That's going to change right now!!! :D
I hereby plegde/promise to donate $25 a.s.a.p. whenever you find a way to make it so! :!:

Thanx for a great app and thanx to Quosego (my 'landsman') for his inspiring words! 8)
-[ Irmax ® ]---
"Where there is a will, there is a way! Undeniably so!"

Gerapa
Enthusiast

Post by Gerapa » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:19 pm

Hi Renier,

I cannot imagine that Paypal cannot do something. It seems to me that they have no right to keep this money, wich is not theirs but yours. You have accepted their conditions to use Paypal, but suppressing of South African credit cards (or those of any other country) is probably not in what you had accepted.

I think one thing you could do is to write a lettre (with a postal feedback, i don't know the exact word, in french it is "accusé de réception"), and you send this letter to the real address of the Paypal office. In this letter, you explain the situation and explain you cannot take an american credit card. Give your account number (or your postal address) for Paypal to send you the money, and explain in a non aggressive maneer that you would be sorry to have to go to the court to solve a problem that a serious society could be able to solve without that. I would be very suprised if Paypal would keep their actual point of vue.

Gerapa.

rebraun
Still here

Post by rebraun » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:22 pm

To puchase something on eBay would be easy to set up a "buy it now" transaction. Have someone you trust who has an established eBay account and a paypal account of course. Have that person put up something for sale, with a "Buy it Now" transaction. Then transfer the funds to the paypal account and have that person send you the funds when they are transferred to their checking account.

You'll have to figure around 2+% for eBay fees (initial listing and final price selling fees) as well as Paypal getting their cut when the money is transferred into the Paypal account from the purchaser (you). (2-3%).

This is all easy stuff.

Richard

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:22 am

As said before, my account is in "limited status". I cannot transfer funds to other PayPal users.

After more emails, PayPal has now said I must fax them a utility bill for them to send my money to my postal address. Unfortunately my electricity works on a pre-paid cash system (common in SA), and since I'm renting, the owner pays the other utilities.

Failing to fax the documentation, they said they will release my money in 180 days.

This is actually becoming amusing.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:13 am

A note to Rebraun: the trouble is that when an account is in the status that Renier's is in, he cannot do ANYTHING with it - he can't buy anything on eBay or anything else. If this were "easy stuff" it would have been settled long ago.