Mystery file - " ~ "

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

UK_User

Mystery file - " ~ "

Post by UK_User » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:15 am

Hi
First off - thanks for a great programme in PopTray. It's just the sort of thing I've been looking for for ages.

One question - I've just noticed a file in the PopTray directory called "~" - viewing it in Wordpad reveals it contains countless email addresses and names of contacts - many of whom I have not emailed or received mail from since installing PopTray hence it's not simply an activity log.

Why does PopTray store this information? Where does it get it from and what is it used for? (no, I haven't blocked any messages or created any rules about these people)

Cheers,
UK_User

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:39 am

This file is not PopTray related. I remember somone else mention it on the forum, and if I remember correctly it was Outlook Express that created the file.

spiff

file

Post by spiff » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:53 am

I was just about to start the same topic
This file appeared this morning :o
What should we do about it ?

Cheers

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:25 pm

These "~" files are mysterious remains of the address book file of Outlook Express. No one could explain - up to now - how they come into existence, I just found out that they occur when changing entries and the like. Unfortunately you can't do anything except simply deleting the file.

mrk22
Still here

Post by mrk22 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:19 am

Bateman wrote:These "~" files are mysterious remains of the address book file of Outlook Express. No one could explain - up to now - how they come into existence, I just found out that they occur when changing entries and the like. Unfortunately you can't do anything except simply deleting the file.
Actually, you can solve this by doing what I did: switch to Mozilla Thunderbird. www.mozilla.org

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:16 pm

mrk22 wrote:Actually, you can solve this by doing what I did: switch to Mozilla Thunderbird. www.mozilla.org
(yawn) :roll:
I personally do NOT think this file in PT folder are made by OE. I don't use OE at all and sometimes I have this ~ files too. Also because OE has got its temp folders, who aren't PT ones.

So mrk22, to change my default and loved mail client because of a innocent ~ file, it is too much, I think, We're searching *why* we have ~ files, not an alternative to OE (who is used by most users).

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:01 pm

I've never seen the file, but I never use Outlook Express. Doing a search on the net showed that it's a backup file of your address book. Rename it to user.wab and you can confirm this. It's probably created in the PopTray directory because if you run OE from PopTray then the default directory will be the PT directory.

Newgroup thread

Newsgroup thread

speedo007

Post by speedo007 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:44 am

Looks like this is a bug in Outlook Express that comes with the cumulative update Q330994 or Q331923. This ~ file is a backup of the Outlook Express address book (*.wab). Prior to Q330994 it was stored in the same directory as the original *.wab file with the extension *.wa~. After installing the update it is stored in the file ~. Its location depends on where OE has been started from.

The problem ist known by Microsoft and has to do with bugs in the WAB API:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm ... google.com

Looks like there is no solution for the problem, any update on the OE address book creates that ~ file.
And most important: It has nothing to do with PopTray!!!

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:44 pm

Thanks for the newsgroup links. I have to investigate this further since these files are created on places on my hard disk where it seems quite unlikely that OE or the address book have access in any way - at least on the first look. Again, thanks to M$ for this nice little mystery that keeps us busy :)

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:50 pm

Bateman wrote:Again, thanks to M$ for this nice little mystery that keeps us busy :)
I think you have to see this Userfriendly.org comic... :lol:

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:36 am

ilNebbioso wrote:I think you have to see this Userfriendly.org comic... :lol:
Nice cartoon but I was speaking about some painful experience - namely massive crashes with completely dead hard disks and the like... so this little annyoing file seems just the tip of the MS iceberg :D

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:01 am

mrk22 wrote:
Bateman wrote:These "~" files are mysterious remains of the address book file of Outlook Express. No one could explain - up to now - how they come into existence, I just found out that they occur when changing entries and the like. Unfortunately you can't do anything except simply deleting the file.
Actually, you can solve this by doing what I did: switch to Mozilla Thunderbird. www.mozilla.org
Of course, because of a file named "~" ... ? Besides, Thunderburd is still in beta...