PopTray reviewed in PC Magazine

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Edward

PopTray reviewed in PC Magazine

Post by Edward » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:39 pm

There's a brief but very positive review of PopTray in the newest issue of PC Magazine, available here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1472637,00.asp

I tend to agree with everything the writer says in this article, but that doesn't mean that other people will agree with him also.

Edward Mendelson

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:41 pm

Somehow that last message got posted under the name "guest" instead of my login name. Apologies for any confusion.

Edward Mendelson

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:33 pm

In a section signed by Edward Mendelson, PC Magazine wrote:Among dozens of available mail notifiers, PopTray 3.0 (free) stands out as the most compact, customizable, and flexible, with built-in support for standard POP3 mailboxes and optional plug-in support for IMAP4 servers and for Hotmail.[...]
Evaluation : 5 stars.

Renier, you and SourceForge got bandwidth for the downloadings? It will be interesting to watch the statistics with such a publicity.

A Golden Globe, a nomination for an Oscar and now 5 stars in PC Magazine, all that in about a week : South Africa is in the glare of the spotlights. :D

Renier
Site Admin

Re: PopTray reviewed in PC Magazine

Post by Renier » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:16 am

Edward wrote:I tend to agree with everything the writer says in this article
:) I guess you're not a split personality then.

That you very much for nice mention. Will the be in the print edition too? I'd like to see if I can buy it locally.

Thanks again Edward for the again helping. I'm feeling bad now that I haven't released a new PopTray beta in a long time.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:32 pm

Print edition just arrived: February 17, 2004 issue, with "The E-Mail Mess" on the cover. The story is on p.76. Are you seeing any increase in the number of downloads?

A request for the next beta, now that I've got your attention <smile>: could we turn QuickChecking on and off for each account, rather than making it global? With one of my accounts, QuickChecking is all I need, because that account blocks spam extremely effectively before it gets into my mailbox. With another account, I turn QuickChecking off so that PopTray rules, combined with SpamPal, can delete the masses of spam that the account lets through.

Best,

Edward

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:57 pm

Remember that rules will still fire with QuickChecking ON when it get the message for the first time. Only subsequent check the headers won't be downloaded and the rules won't fire.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:12 pm

Ah - now I understand about QuickChecking and rules. Thanks!

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:45 pm

Edward Mendelson wrote:[...]A request for the next beta, now that I've got your attention <smile>: could we turn QuickChecking on and off for each account, rather than making it global? With one of my accounts, QuickChecking is all I need, because that account blocks spam extremely effectively before it gets into my mailbox. With another account, I turn QuickChecking off so that PopTray rules, combined with SpamPal, can delete the masses of spam that the account lets through.[...]
While waiting for such a feature, you can install PopTray twice on your computer, one time for an account, an other time for the other account, each installation with the settings that you want.

I did that for reasons like yours and I am plenty satisfied. :roll:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:12 am

The print edition of PC Magazine, 17 Feb has finally been released here in South Africa (at an expensive $12.27).

Thanks again for the mention.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:02 am

$12.27? That's almost what they paid me for writing that article <g>! I'm glad it finally got there, though!

Edward

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:51 pm

R80, about the price of 4 Big Mac McMeals.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:14 pm

For $US 13.00, taxes included, I got two meals in a chinese food buffet in Vermont, where I was passing by during a three days "internatinal" travel last - long- weekend. A lot of choice and very good food. An about 800 miles travel to Connecticut to visit friends and relatives of the other side of the border.

For those who are interested, after a 48 hours stay in USA, canadian citizens can bring with them, without importation taxes, for $CAN 200 goods, including a bottle of alcool and 200 cigarettes. I do not smoke, but at the price that I paid - one third of the regular price in Canada - in a duty free store, I bougth those 200 ones (10 packs of twenty) to give friends.