How to prevent popup window with no new messages?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

How to prevent popup window with no new messages?

Post by Edward Mendelson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:40 am

Hello, fellow PopTray enthusiasts:

This should be obvious to me, but I can't seem to get it right. Exactly what options should I set so that PopTray does NOT pop up a notification window when there no new messages, and all previous messages are hidden?

I've got "Show Window on Notifacation" checked; also checked are "Indicate viewed and unviewed messages," "Hide viewed messages," and "Advanced Show Info." Also "Remember viewed messages" on the Miscellaneous page (not clear how that fits in with Indicate viewed and unviewed...).

What do I have to do to prevent a window with an empty list popping up after checking mail when there are no new messages??

Thanks for any help!

Edward Mendelson

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:11 am

I've never been able to get it to work correctly either.

I gave up an started using a program that is located on NO CARRIER's web space.
Jack_Surfer made some nice animated notifiers for PopTray.
Download Zip File HERE
There are several gifs inside the zip file. Unzip and in the PopTray rules click the box for EXECUTE FILE and fill in the space with the location of the unzipped gif files.

I virus scanned the zip files before I unzipped them, and I suggest you do the same. There were no virus, but better safe than sorry!
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:38 pm

Renier,

Can you help? Is there a way to prevent the window from opening when there are no new messages and we have "hide viewed messages" on - so that we can avoid seeing a window with no messages at all?

Thanks!

Edward

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:19 pm

I don't use the Hide feature, so I'd have to confirm this behaviour, and be able to re-create. Certainly sounds like a bug. Shouldn't popup unless there are new messages.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:58 pm

Thanks, Renier. My wife and I both leave messages on the server for one or two days so that we can see them again on other machines, and use the Hide feature so that we don't see old ones again in PopTray, so it's a minor annoyance when the window pops up with no messages showing.

Thanks again for this terrific program.