poptray and avast

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

lian
Enthusiast

poptray and avast

Post by lian » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:05 pm

Hello,
I have just installed Avast Home and I have an enexpected problem with Poptray. I configured Poptray and Thunderbird as said in the help of Avast(change pop and name) and if it works perfectly with Thunderbird (I got the [infected] in the subject), it doesn't seem to work with Poptray (nothing special happens).
So what?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:33 pm

By default, to make it faster, PopTray doesn't download the complete email, just the header info that show you who its from, to, subject etc. This was done mostly for people who use dialup internet accounts. Since only the header part of the message is getting looked at by Avast, I doubt that it can tell if there is a virus or not. So in the PopTray OPTIONS, ADVANCED OPTIONS, check the box for "Retrieve body while checking" . This way Avast will be able to look at the whole email and determine if it is infected or not.

That will probably take care of the problem.

lian
Enthusiast

Post by lian » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:38 pm

Thank you Rdsock for your answer. I had my idea of the problem and you makeit real. I try your solution.

lian
Enthusiast

Post by lian » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:49 pm

OK!
It works! But the french translation of the option "retrieve body" is not great (hard to understand what it means).
I propose "analyse du corps du message lors de la vérification" instead of "recouvrer le corps du message etc..."
Thank you again Rdsock :D

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:01 pm

I can't help much on the translations that are provided, but I can suggest that you can alter your language file itself to whatever you wish. The file name is (language).ptlang . I've noticed there are currently 2 French versions, one is for Canadian French and one just French, you may want to try the other version just in case it is already like you like.

One last thing, my nickname is rdsok.. (no 'c') that is my initials with 'ok' on the end short for Oklahoma as in USA.. you aren't the first to do that, so don't worry about it.. :D

Glad my suggestion worked.

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:09 am

Rdsok wrote:One last thing, my nickname is rdsok.. (no 'c') that is my initials with 'ok' on the end short for Oklahoma as in USA.
Who knew? I thought maybe you were a Red Sox fan!

Jaska
Still here

Post by Jaska » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:00 am

Rdsok wrote:
One last thing, my nickname is rdsok.. (no 'c') that is my initials with 'ok' on the end short for Oklahoma as in USA.. you aren't the first to do that, so don't worry about it.. :D
You mean like Asok in the Dilbert cartoon :lol: "His name is a common one in India (but usually spelled Ashok)"

Jaska