Auto Start

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Ragazzi

Auto Start

Post by Ragazzi » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:56 pm

How do you get PopTray to NOT start automatically with Windows?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:08 pm

AhmadMostafa wrote:Start>Programs>Startup
right click poptray's icon and click on "delete"
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:41 pm

You can also "drag" the icon out of the Startup folder onto the Desktop so it won't start.

Ragazzi

Tried these-No Luck!

Post by Ragazzi » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:22 am

I did do a search and did not find an answer.
I am using Windows XP Pro. It is NOT in my Programs->Startup Folder.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:28 am

That is the only place that Poptray puts its shortcut, someone must have placed a startup in another location on your computer. Run msconfig, select the startup tab and scan down the list, it will list the area that it is starting from then remove it from that location and optionally you may simply temporarily disable it from here.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:30 am

PS. WinXP actually has 2 startup locations, one is for All Users, and the second is for the current user. If the shortcut is in either place it should also show in the Start/Programs/Startup area of the menu.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:41 am

You might have to ENABLE Windows Explorer to view the HIDDEN SYSTEMS FILES in order to see all the folders.

On Windows Explorer TOOLBAR, TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW, TICK the place for SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, then click OK.

There is a START MENU, STARTUP Folder in the ADMINISTRATOR Folder section.
There is a START MENU, STARTUP Folder in the ALL USER Folder section.
There is a START MENU, STARTUP Folder in each INDIVIDUAL USER Folder section.
There is a START MENU, STARTUP Folder in the GUEST Folder section.

So, if you are using WIN XP PRO, there are possibly 3 folders that you could have a PopTray link in that would cause it to STARTUP at systems start.

They are STARTUP Folder in the ADMINISTRATOR Folder, STARTUP Folder in the ALL USER Folder, and STARTUP Folder in your INDIVIDUAL USER Folder.

Depending on how you are running your system, would determine exactly where you should look.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:23 am

Well, I guess this time I'll debate KY Dave on this. Sorry bud...

There are only 2 startup folders active for any one user on WinXP.

There is the All Users folder that no matter who you are logged in as, you will get a file to start. You can find it here for WinXP...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then there is the user profile startup folder. The standard user names are Administrator and Guest, the admin is normally hidden unless the defaults are changed and the guest acct is normally disabled by default. Then there are the additional users. The Admin account's startup folder is only used when the Admin logs in, not when other users log in even if they have admin rights. This is the normal location for that folder.. note, the word %LoginName% is a variable representing the current users login name...

C:\Documents and Settings\%LoginName%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Now the rest of this shouldn't apply to this threads question but may be of interest to an advanced user. WinXP has almost (not quite) 30 different locations that programs can be started from. Instead of listing each location, I'll just give a link to a site that lists and explains all of the startup locations.

Windows Program Automatic Startup Locations

This info is provided by www.BleepingComputer.com and they have a ton of info that relates to Windows and other programs. I think most people will find this a great resource for general info.

Normally KY Dave get to correct me, this time I get to correct him... :D

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:34 pm

ImageImage

I had to use 2 screen shot images to show all of the START MENU FOLDERS on my machine running WIN XP PRO SP2. There could be more if there were more users/user accounts. There are STARTUP FOLDERS in each of those START MENU FOLDERS.

They aren't doctored, other than the highlights over the USER and START MENU FOLDERS.
KY Dave wrote:Depending on how you are running your system, would determine exactly where you should look.
Rdsok - I suspect you haven't added any other users to your system, so you don't have those other folders and users in the directory.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:15 pm

KY Dave,

After reading your last post on the subject of just the Startup Folders, I think we both mean the same thing but are saying it differently as well as looking at it from different perspectives.

I'll restate what I'm saying, trying to point out how it may be the same as what you said, but I just said it differently.

I think we are on the same page when I say there is a common "All Users" Startup folder, all shortcuts in this folder are run for every user no matter what their user name. Here is where the All Users Startup folder is at.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then I think we are saying the same here. Each user will also have their own Startup folder also. So Administrator (Admin for short), Guest, and any other user name each will have their own startup folder. (Your screen shot shows that each user has a startup folder, well you are only showing the Start Menu, but I know what you meant.)

Here I'll paraphrase the statement I don't think you understood as I meant it. For each user, there are only 2 Startup folders where programs are being started from. I'll make up a few user names to help explain it along with the startup folders that will run.

Admin - All User's Startup folder and Admin's Startup Folder
Dan - All User's Startup folder and Dan's Startup Folder
Dave - All User's Startup folder and Dave's Startup Folder
Randy - All User's Startup folder and Randy's Startup Folder

So while each user does have their own Startup folder, there are only 2 startup folders active for any one user on WinXP. Using the variable %LoginName% for each username, here is where each user's Startup folder is found.

C:\Documents and Settings\%LoginName%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Now in Ragazzi situation, the 2 folders that he needs to be concerned with (unless there is this trouble with every user on the computer) is his own login name Startup folder and the All Users Startup folder. The exception to this is if someone had manually added a shortcut for Poptray to one of the other places that files can be started from. These were described in the link that I provided since I didn't want to mention the almost 30 other locations directly in this thread since I don't think they are likely to be relevant. If they are indeed relevant, Ragazzi can find out by running MSCONFIG from the run line and it will reference where a file is being started from exactly.

So I guess I wasn't actually correcting what you said, but was just refining it some... well, I guess I'll have to wait until the next time, but you don't give me as many chances to correct you as I have given you (and others) to correct me.. :lol:

Ragazzi

AutoStart Problem solved!

Post by Ragazzi » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:41 pm

Thanks all!
I found PopTray in my user StartUp folder. I was looking in the All Users. Thanks for your help..

mpot
Fanatic

Post by mpot » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:35 pm

Rather than having to check multiple folders, just run "msconfig".

msconfig will show all applications configured to autostart, and allow them to be disabled, whether they are in the "all users" or individual user's startup folder, or in the HKLM "run" registry key, the HKCU "run" registry key, etc....

Cheers,
Martin.

lian
Enthusiast

Post by lian » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 pm

You can use a freeware like Startup control panel http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml easy to use.[/quote]