Icon will not show up in system tray

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

bemis12

Icon will not show up in system tray

Post by bemis12 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:31 pm

I'm using Firebird and Thuiderbird on a Windows XP box.

I've got PopTray set to check mail at startup, but it doesn't. The PopTray icon never shows up in my system tray, nor does it ever notify me of new mail. It's running, as it shows up in my "running processes".

I've only got the one account set up. It checks it just fine from the "accounts" tab when I press "Test Account". The account is enabled. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:06 pm

The browser or the email client you use (ie Firefox or Thunderbird) doesn't matter unless you may be having trouble getting Poptray to open your Thunderbird email client. Poptray does need to have Internet Explorer (as do many other programs) for some parts of it to work though.

The missing icon problem may just be WinXP hiding the icon. This is the default action for XP unless you have changed it. You can customize how the icons show or not as well as disable the feature. To change the settings for this option, right click on the taskbar, select properties and on the bottom of the taskbar properties you will find the option to enable/disable the "Hide inactive icons" or alternately customize what icons get hidden or not by selecting the "Customize" button next to that option. You may also show all hidden icons by clicking on the "<" icon in your system tray (right next to the time).

If Poptray is not working correctly and isn't just a hidden icon like I just mentioned, it is possible for it to show in the process list but not be able to be accessed. This would indicate a corrupt Poptray installation or a different problem with your WindowsXP. It could also be caused by a conflict with another program that is running on your computer.

As to the other problems we would probably need more info. One question I would have right off is does Poptray ever show or list your email when you press the "Check" or "Check All" buttons. If not, it could be because of your firewall software. Firewalls can control what can or can't access the internet.

The type of the account is also needed to be known. Are you talking about a POP3, POP3 SSL, APOP, IMAP, Hotmail or Gmail account. Each type of account type (protocol) acts differently and also must be setup differently. For instance all types except the POP3 only will work if you install the plugin for that type.

If this info doesn't help you or you have more questions, just include the info I mentioned as well as the version of Poptray you are using in the next posting and either myself or someone else will try to help.

bemis12

Post by bemis12 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:19 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. To answer some of your questions:

XP is not setup to hide the inactive icons.

PopTray never shows at all in my systray. It WILL check the email if I start it from the start menu and press the "Check" tab.

My email is a POP3 account. It appears that I am using Version 3.0.3. I just downloaded it this morning.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:59 pm

The first suggestion that I would give you since this is a new install, redownload the file just in case you got a bad download the first time. Next uninstall Poptray and reinstall from the new file you just got. If that doesn't fix it, preceed testing with the other suggestions.

If there is no icon in the system tray, even while the Poptray window is on the screen (that part is important), your problem will likely be do to another program running on your computer or because something is corrupt or missing with your Windows XP. Since you didn't mention that other programs have this trouble, I would suggest looking at the other programs you are running first.

To diagnose if it is a program causing this, run msconfig and do a selective start that only runs the minimum programs during startup. If you are going to turn off either your firewall or your antivirus to test this, make certain that you have disconnected from the internet while testing to protect your computer while testing. It isn't important that Poptray can access the internet while just checking for an icon in the system tray. If the icon shows up, then the problem is one of your programs you are running, just re-enable the programs one at a time and retest again to find out which one may causing the trouble. If, on the other hand, the icon doesn't show up, the problem would be with your WinXP.

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:28 pm

This is an old topic, but what the hey.

I use PopTray only to delete email from the mail-server via rules, i.e., I don't use PopTray for notification.

I use the scheduler to start PopTray at system startup via XP's default administrator account. My family members and I log in to separate user accounts (all with admin access, but this allows us to personalize our environments).

PopTray runs AOK and executes the rules, but the tray icon does not appear (not even when logged in as administrator). To change PopTray options, I kill the program from task manager and start it again manually. I assume the missing icon is a result of starting the program before actually logging in. If you think this is a bug, I would request that you provide the option to run PopTray as a service without any visible feedback (no icon). This behavior is OK for me, since my wife and kids just get confused by rotating stars in the system tray anyway.