Virtual Private Network

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

PrairieNewf
First Timer

Virtual Private Network

Post by PrairieNewf » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:49 am

I have a virtual private network connection set up on my home computer in order to connect to the network at work. When I have this connection active (along with my cable internet connection), I get a Socket Error #10060 - Connection timed out error. As soon as I disconnect the VPN, PopTray works fine again. Is there a way for me to have it work with the VPN connected? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sláinte!
PrairieNewf

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:59 am

First check if your email client gives you the same problem.

Second you may want to try to increase the time out value.

Finally make sure that the ports (POP3 uses port 110) your accounts are using aren't being used by your VPN thereby blocking access to your email servers. I wouldn't think your VPN would use port 110 but other protocols (HTTP, IMAP POP SSL) use different ports. You VPN may also have a port forwarding that could affect you system, check out what its capabilities are and maybe check their docs and faqs to see if something is mentioned there.

mpot
Fanatic

Re: Virtual Private Network

Post by mpot » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:25 am

PrairieNewf wrote:Is there a way for me to have it work with the VPN connected?
I'm guessing your VPN client isn't allowing split tunnelling, so it's routing all your network traffic through the VPN, and your corporate firewall is blocking access to your ISP's mailserver (or your ISP's mailserver only allows POP3 connections from its own IP addresses).

Cheers,
Martin.