filter question

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

mcdj

filter question

Post by mcdj » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:07 am

First off, thanks to the creators of Pop Tray. I adore it!

My problem is, it seems the vast majority of spam I get is mass addressed to a bot-created list of names similar to mine at my ISP, nyc.rr.com. I have a very small handful of friends, etc. who also have nyc.rr.com email accounts.

So, I'll get a spam addressed to joeblow@nyc.rr.com, joeblue@nyc.rr.com, joblew@nyc.rr.com, etc. Rarely are the emails I get from friends, associates etc. addressed to more than one person at nyc.rr.com...me...with the exception of the occasional E-vite and forwarded jokes.

So I'm wondering, is there a way to create a filter that detects multiple recipients at nyc.rr.com (always spam), but lets the ones addressed to me and only me (or other folks not at nyc.rr.com) get through?

TIA,

mcdj

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:36 pm

Take a look at this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=2071&highlight=

The answer to your question is given by sandy&cloud

mcdj

thanks...but

Post by mcdj » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:55 pm

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but now any email to my address is marked as spam, even if it's only to my address and no one else's.

mcdj

ahh..now I get it!

Post by mcdj » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:16 pm

In the filter example posted by sandy&cloud, [^e]@myprovider\.com, the [^e] should read [^me], which didn't dawn on me till now. I changed it to my username and now it works perfectly. Thanks.

lemming
Groupie

Re: ahh..now I get it!

Post by lemming » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 pm

Unfortunately, the regex posted by sandy&cloud is inaccurate, and so is the solution you suggested.

[^me] does not mean "anything except me", it means "any single character, except m and e". So if you create something like [^randy], it will match a single character that is not r, a, n, d, or y.

For a better way, refer to my solution at the same thread

viewtopic.php?p=11371#11371

-Lemming.
mcdj wrote:In the filter example posted by sandy&cloud, [^e]@myprovider\.com, the [^e] should read [^me], which didn't dawn on me till now. I changed it to my username and now it works perfectly. Thanks.