I do not use any more PopTray

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

I do not use any more PopTray

Post by Sacles » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:50 am

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
homaquebec
PopTray Family
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Québec (Canada)

Post by homaquebec » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:20 pm

The first function of PopTray is not to filter spam even if it can do some filtering by the lists and the rules.

I personnaly use K9 working with PopTray to both be notify when I receive emails and to filter spam. I am perfectly satisfied.

KYDave, a member of this forum, have explained how to set up the two applications such a way they can work together. You can find the post by using the search function.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:14 am
Location: Seattle (U.S.)

RE: I do not use any more PopTray

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:03 pm

I agree completely with homaquebec. PopTray is not intended to be an antispam tool. It's a mail notification tool, and it's absolutely fabulous as that.
I myself use SpamPal in conjunction with PopTray to automatically filter out spam, and it works brilliantly. SpamPal sits in between PopTray and the mail server, and processes mail messages checked by PopTray. If SpamPal detects a spam message, it adds the word **SPAM** to the subject line. PopTray then uses a rule to automaticaly delete these messages from the server, so I won't even see them when I download my mail in my mail client (PocoMail).
As a result of this setup, I rarely see any spam!

Ron

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:40 pm

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:14 am
Location: Seattle (U.S.)

RE: I do not use any more PopTray

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:38 pm

Because OutClock seems limited in its antispam features. It only seems to use user-defined rules for message headers, whereas SpamPal can also filter out spam based on public and private blacklists, country origin, IP address, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the combo of PopTray and SpamPal is unbeatable!

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 pm

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dutchman
Still here
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: RE: I do not use any more PopTray

Post by Dutchman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:50 pm

rvdc2003 wrote:
I myself use SpamPal in conjunction with PopTray to automatically filter out spam, and it works brilliantly.
...
...
Ron

I use the same combination and I have to agree, it works great.

(Another) Ron

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:09 pm

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KY Dave
Not the Developer
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 pm
Location: Burkesville, KY. U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by KY Dave » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:44 pm

The links that I find state OUTCLOCK works in combination with OUTLOOK, which I do not use, maybe we are looking at different programs.

Please post a link to the OUTCLOCK program.

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:36 pm

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

haibinchenxi
Still here
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:24 am

Post by haibinchenxi » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:34 am

Sacles wrote:
OUTCLOCK works in combination with OUTLOOK

Personally, I have the association OutClock + FoxMail

Here a link towards the official site of OutClock : http://www.outclock.org/index_en.html
I like foxmail too,it's small and great!

User avatar
KY Dave
Not the Developer
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 pm
Location: Burkesville, KY. U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by KY Dave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:14 pm

I guess there are several programs named OUTCLOCK. The link you provided isn't the same as I had found.

It would seem to be a matter of choice as to which program would be the best.

OUTCLOCK or SPAMPAL seem to be better choices for users that are on dial-up and only the email headers can be examined due to bandwidth or time. K9 seems to be a better choice where the entire message can be examined.

You are using OUTCLOCK to sort your email by writing filters and creating lists. I am using K9 to sort the email using a WHITELIST and clicking SPAM or GOOD. It seems to be easier to use K9, but OUTCLOCK would appear to work although more complicated to use.

K9 is a bayesian filtering program and can be used with PopTray or Outlook, Outlook Express or almost any email program that has the ability to use a rule to filter the messages.

My setup is K9 with PopTray to NOTIFY and FILTER my email. Once only the GOOD email is left, I open OutLook Express to read the good email and to also write email. After 1 week of 'training K9', it runs un-attended and without my attention, working to filter more than 98% of the spam correctly. K9 saves a copy of every email filtered, a nice factor if one email is lost due to a missed classification. I didn't see this option in OUTCLOCK. I can also use PopTray with FREEPOPS to check webmail accounts, something else I don't see available in OUTCLOCK.

I could use K9 with Outlook Express without first using PopTray, but it would be a waste of pc resources to keep Outlook Express open constanly checking my accounts. For this reason, I use K9 with PopTray to monitor my accounts and remove the spam.

Thanks for pointing out another way, but I will continue to use K9 with PopTray, because of it's ease of use and excellent results. :D
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Heffy
Still here
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Hemet, CA
Contact:

Post by Heffy » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:08 pm

I looked over the site for "OutClock" and it does appear to be more complicated to set up. I'm very pleased with a PopTray and K9 setup on my computers. I have 3 accounts monitored and as of today 99.74% of Spam is stopped. I use just a few rules in PopTray and K9 takes care of Spam so well I can't see any reason to change to another program.

Heffy

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:56 am

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bateman
PopTray Family
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 9:53 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Bateman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:33 am

Sacles wrote:I only regret that it does not manage sufficiently the spams. The proof, you use another program to manage the spams
There's no proof at all for your argument. As mentioned before, PopTray is firstly and primarily an "OPEN-SOURCE Mail Notifier" (quote from the main page) and no spam fighting tool. That you can use rules for filtering spam as well still does not make it a fully fledged anti-spam programme. See the difference: mail notifier <=> anti-spam tool.

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:50 am

....
Last edited by Sacles on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lian
Enthusiast
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:39 pm

Post by lian » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:38 am

Stop this, Sacles, please (we do understand you don't want to use Poptray but what is the use to speak about Outclock ?).I did use Outclock when I had a lot of spam and I think I will use something like K9 if spam is coming back because Outclock was tiring to configure. And Poptray is a very very nice tool.

Sacles
Still here
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Post by Sacles » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:16 pm

Good bye
Last edited by Sacles on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KY Dave
Not the Developer
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 pm
Location: Burkesville, KY. U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by KY Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Sacles wrote:I cannot let write contrary things with the truth.
It is just an opinion of which is better, not a truth or lie.

You have made your suggestion,
maybe some will use OUTCLOCK, some will not,
there is no reason to continue to debate which is better.

Let users decide by trying.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

User avatar
ComputerBob
Guru
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:27 pm
Location: The Gulf Coast of the Sunshine State, USA
Contact:

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:21 pm

KY Dave wrote: It is just an opinion of which is better, not a truth or lie.

You have made your suggestion,
maybe some will use OUTCLOCK, some will not,
there is no reason to continue to debate which is better.

Let users decide by trying.
Party pooper. :lol:
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests