Nice work

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

andyrooc
First Timer

Nice work

Post by andyrooc » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:45 am

I may not like the way your fellow country-men play rugby :wink: , but you certainly write a very nice little application!

I don't see many freeware applications of this quality, so congratulations and thanks! I think PopTray will become part of my permanent collection (with apps like Winzip, Syncback...etc).
Ace Clem

Renier
Site Admin

Re: Nice work

Post by Renier » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:22 am

andyrooc wrote:I may not like the way your fellow country-men play rugby
You must be an Aussie then. :)

andyrooc
First Timer

Re: Nice work

Post by andyrooc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:44 am

[quote="Renier"][quote="andyrooc"]I may not like the way your fellow country-men play rugby[/quote]You must be an Aussie then. :)[/quote]

Worse I'm afaid. I'm a Kiwi, who has become an Aussie!
Ace Clem

Glenn
First Timer

Post by Glenn » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:08 am

I've been using Pop Tray for a while now. It has superceded another commendable program called 'Pop Peeper'.

However 'Pop Peeper', when it had messages to display, would still set off my anti-virus program before its preview mode, whereas Pop Tray didn't.

Perhaps being more street wise to spam, the subject matter can be more than enough for me to deal with it.

My first few filters are set up to 'mark as spam', anything that is not with my chosen receiving addresses, but I do compile a list of 'same domain' addresses and place them in another filter for deletion. Other filters I set up concern the domain part only, if I know that my regular contacts don't use those domains, for deletion or spam marking if I'm not sure.

Overall I find it a great program for supporting my chosen email client.

As for the rugby thread, its Wales and the Llanelli Scarlets for me and my sins :)

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:22 am

Does PopTray have to do that? Preview is text only, no virus should be able to spread from the preview. No HTML will be shown, no scripts will be activated, no pictures will be downloaded from the net.

Files downloaded via preview should be checked by the virus scanner automatically, any file access will be monitored by virus scanners.
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:27 am

Curtz,

Thats a good subject to bring up so I thought I'd jump into this just a bit to dispell some common misconceptions about antivirus scanners.

Most of the major antivirus programs do use a proxy type email scanner so just about every POP3 account connection will get scanned. There are some that work from within the email clients themselves so with this type, anything that Poptray retrieves won't get scanned nor will other email protocols such as IMAP accounts.

Beyond the email scanners.. most antivirus programs use what is generically called "on access" scanners to scan files in real time. I should point out that these only scan files as they are accessed, not as they are saved to the drive. For scanning files as they are saved, the antivirus program must employ an "on close" type of scan as well (AVG Free does for instance).

So basically if an antivirus says it has a real-time scanner... you should check if it also has the on-close scanning options (this may be called slightly different with each program). There is a cavet to "on close" scanning.. this is not very compatible to the older Windows versions of Win95-WinME. The power-saving, screen-savers, scandisk and defrag programs can't work properly because they require exclusive access to the system or drives. This means that this option is normally not enabled by default. You should also realize that this option does have a performance hit as well so the system will work slower than if it wasn't enabled.

So, if you do save attachments or pictures from an email... play it safe and scan the file(s) before you access them to play it as safe as you can. While what I've described is pretty standard.. always check out the features/functions of the one you use to ensure how you are protected.. don't just assume it covers everything.