uodating a rule

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

pviton
Enthusiast

uodating a rule

Post by pviton » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:40 pm

Is it possible to change a rule, once it's defined? I was testing a regex rule by trying to log it whenever it fired. But nothing ever got into the log. So I decided to simplify the rule to see what was going on. Instead of a regex rule, I changed it to "Header | contains | [stuff]" and did Save Rule. But looking at rules.ini I see that the rule wasn't changed there: it's still a regex. The date of the file did change, but not the rule. It's Rule50: perhaps I've run up against a limit?

(PT 3.1 running on NT4/sp5).

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: uodating a rule

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:04 pm

pviton wrote:Is it possible to change a rule, once it's defined?
Yes, just make your changes in PopTray on the RULES TAB, select your RULE, make the changes.
SAVE RULES, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.
pviton wrote: I was testing a regex rule by trying to log it whenever it fired. But nothing ever got into the log. So I decided to simplify the rule to see what was going on. Instead of a regex rule, I changed it to "Header | contains | [stuff]" and did Save Rule. But looking at rules.ini I see that the rule wasn't changed there: it's still a regex. The date of the file did change, but not the rule. It's Rule50: perhaps I've run up against a limit?
(PT 3.1 running on NT4/sp5).
I'm not sure what happened on your system. You would have to RELOAD the RULE.INI into WORDPAD once you made the changes before the changes would show up. Follow the instructions above and the RULES should change.

As far as reaching the RULES limit, you're not even close, users have reported using over 500 RULES.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

pviton
Enthusiast

Re: uodating a rule

Post by pviton » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:28 pm

KY Dave wrote: I'm not sure what happened on your system. You would have to RELOAD the RULE.INI into WORDPAD once you made the changes before the changes would show up. Follow the instructions above and the RULES should change.
As far as reaching the RULES limit, you're not even close, users have reported using over 500 RULES.
No it's not a load-into-wordpad issue, rules.ini really has not been changed. I just stopped and re-started PT. The rule in question is correct in PT's rule display (it shows "contains") but rules.ini shows that the rule is a regexp.

Oh - wait - I see what's going on: I somehow managed to enter 2 rules with the same name: I was looking at the second one, which had not been changed: the changes I made in PT were made on the first instance. When I manually deleted both from rules.ini and then re-entered the new one, I find that I can change it correctly. This was almost certainly my fault - sorry for the false alarm.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:58 pm

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL if/when editing the RULES.INI as the rules are not deleted when you DELETE A RULE in PopTray. They remain in the RULE.INI file until replaced.

As an example, you might have 20 rules, then delete 5 of them, but if you open the RULES.INI there will be 20 rules still in there. PopTray uses a number near the begining of the file to determine how many rules are in use.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.