Fix invisible system tray icon in XP

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Fix invisible system tray icon in XP

Post by Edward Mendelson » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:16 am

Recently, the PopTray icon stopped appearing in my system tray under Windows XP. The program was running, and hotkeys still did what they were supposed to be, but the tray icon was invisible.

Following an earlier thread here, I realized that the problem was (apparently) that PopTray was being launched too soon to get into the tray. The solution (or one solution) is to use the freeware Delayer program to launch PopTray on startup. Download it from www.cottonwoodsw.com and configure it in your startup group as explained in the help file. The /h parameter hides the Delayer icon which appears while it, um, delays the launch of PopTray.

I hope this is useful to someone else - it's a great help to me.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:36 am

In WinXP if you RIGHT CLICK on the TASKBAR, and then CLICK on PROPERTIES, do you have the box at the bottom checked for HIDE INACTIVE ICONS?

If so, I think if you UN-CHECK that box, the PopTray System's Tray Icon will appear.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

rsleegers
Enthusiast

customize

Post by rsleegers » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm

Going one step further, click on CUSTOMIZE, and click on the PopTray item, and change the BEHAVIOR to "Always Show". (Note that the Name will change based on PopTray's current status, so it may not show up as "PopTray"). Click on Ok, and Ok to save.

Also note for the above, that if you right-click on the taskbar and choose properties, you have to switch to the TASKBAR tab.
Richard
PopTray 3.2 (beta 5) RC1
http://ca.geocities.com/rsleegers/PopTray/

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:55 pm

Yes, I know about hiding and revealing inactive icons. The trouble is that Poptray gets loaded too early on my system to get into the list of active/inactive icons. (This started happening when I installed the PowerChute software that works with my uninterruptible power supply - it seems to get in the way of loading the tray.)

So, the point of my posting is that (as described in another post here last summer), there are situations in which PopTray can NOT be restored to the tray by adjusting the "Taskbar and System Tray" control panel applet, and can NOT be made visible by clicking the "show hidden icons" arrow on the taskbar. In THIS situation, the way to insure that the icon appears in the taskbar is to delay loading.

When the icon is simply hidden (and can be restored with the "show hidden icons" arrow), then the Delayer technique is irrelevant and unnecessary. But it IS necessary in the particular situation that I'm describing.

Apologies for not making all this clearer in my initial post.

rsleegers
Enthusiast

clarify

Post by rsleegers » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:27 pm

That's fine, now any one reading this topic will know both solutions. I have seen that myself where I know a program is loaded, yet no icon. I then have to run from a shortcut to re-activate the program, then shut it down, and reload it again to show the icon. Now I know I'm not the only one, and you've posted a solution!
Richard
PopTray 3.2 (beta 5) RC1
http://ca.geocities.com/rsleegers/PopTray/