A couple of questions from a PopTrax newbie

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Herb
Still here

A couple of questions from a PopTrax newbie

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:45 am

Hi,

following numerous recommendations, I recently installed PopTray, and I like it, thank you for making it available!

I have 3 issues/questions:

1. I have set my mouse to "X-Mouse" behaviour via "Tweak UI", which means that window focus generally changes when I move the mouse, without me having to click on another application.
With PopTray, the focus does change, but the PopTray window unexpectedly remains in the foreground. Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

2. Is there a way of automatically sending the PopTray window to the system tray without having to click on "To Tray" or on "x"?

3. I note there is a blacklist feature for deleting mail automatically, but I wonder if it is possible to prevent mail from showing up in PopTray without actually deleting it, based on certain filter criteria?

Thank you.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb
Still here

Re: A couple of questions from a PopTrax newbie

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 am

Sorry about the embarrassing typo in the subject line of my original message.

Meanwhile, I found the answer to issue 3, i.e. I found out that I can achieve what I have in mind by implementing "rules".

This leaves issues 1 and 2.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:57 pm

#1. PopTray performs correctly with Windows and I and most likely the developer have no way to test PopTray with every program available. You may have to continue to use 'Tweak UI' as is or you could contact their support and report the problem to them.

#2. No, there is not a way to automatically minimize Poptray. There are programmable HOT KEYS (ALT+Z) available, but nothing automatic.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply.

#1. I'm not expecting PopTray to perform with "every program available". However, 'Tweak UI' is an in-built Windows facility and "X-Mouse behaviour " is a *generic* feature, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect PopTray to perform in the same way as all my other programs with "X-Mouse behaviour" enabled, wouldn't you agree?

#2. I see there is a Feature Request form - I will suggest automatic minimisation there.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Note: We take great care to ensure that PowerToys work as they should, but they are not part of Windows and are not supported by Microsoft. For this reason, Microsoft Technical Support is unable to answer questions about PowerToys. PowerToys are for Windows XP only.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx
But anyway, with no experience with TWEAK UI myself, I cannot answer any questions concerning it.

I'll leave this inquiry to the developer.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I had assumed that "Tweak UI" was an integral part of Windows. The text you qouted is interesting, although somewhat confusing (i.e. they say it is not supported by Microsoft, yet it is downloadable from the official Microsoft website. Strange).

Anway, the statement "PowerToys are for Windows XP only" is misleading insofar as I can assure you that "Tweak UI" works perfectly well in Windows 2000.

By the way, "Tweak UI" is not just for controlling mouse behaviour, it offers a range of other options and I can thoroughly recommend exploring it.

With regard to my issue #2 (automatic minimisation), I have come to the conclusion that I would be quite happy for the PopTray window to remain open continuously, but it would be very nice if it relinquished focus in conjunction with X-mouse.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:59 pm

I've used TweakUI before, but never the XMouse functionality.

I have no idea why it would not lose focus correctly.

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi Renier,

thanks for your reply.

I'm sure you are very busy, but would you be prepared to look into it?

Thanks.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:06 pm

I'll put it onto the TODO List, but I can't guarantee anything.
Last edited by Renier on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Thanks for putting it on the list (although I know the feeling about lists - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/help_/message/7963) :D
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:58 am

TweakUI has never been an " integral part of Windows" ... integral parts of Windows actually come with it.. they aren't add-ons that you have chosen to download and install. The X-Mouse and Auto raise functions that this provides has been one of the larger incompatible features that this brings to the package. You should really read the pages and notices about the programs you decide to install before you install them. In this case there are warnings about the possible side effects if you read the documentation about it.

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks for pointing this out.

However, the fact is that I have been using X-mouse for years, and it works with all my other programs except PopTray.
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb
Still here

Post by Herb » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:40 am

I just realised that PopTray does in fact work perfectly well in conjunction with the X-mouse setting.

It only just occurred to me that I need to activate "Autoraise" in TweakUI to get the desired behaviour.

I normally run applications maximised, in which case "Autoraise" has no effect, but with PopTray (which I don't have maximised) I was seeing a different behaviour than with my other application, hence the confusion.

Apologies for wasting your time (Renier, you can take it off your to-do list) :oops:
Regards
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk