Don't show window when no new message?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Don't show window when no new message?

Post by Edward Mendelson » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:16 pm

On one of my family's machines, PopTray checks an IMAP account and uses the setting to hide viewed messages. The same machine uses a mail client that deletes messages on the IMAP server after three days, so there are almost always viewed messages on the server.

Unfortunately, whenever this machine starts up, the PopTray notification window appears - usually with no messages displayed in it. Is there a way to prevent the window from appearing if there are no viewed messages on the server? Have I missed some crucial setting?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Edward Mendelson

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Don't show window when no new message?

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 am

Edward Mendelson wrote:Is there a way to prevent the window from appearing if there are no viewed messages on the server?
I'm guessing you didn't mean it as written,
that you meant you don't want the window to popup if there aren't any new messages.

I'll assume you have the following checked...

OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, INDICATE VIEWED AND UNVIEWED MESSAGES.
OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, HIDE VIEWED MESSAGES.
OPTIONS TAB, MISCELLANEOUS, REMEMBER VIEWED MESSAGES.

I would think, if this is the case, you could use a RULE with the CRITERIA of...

NEW MESSAGES ONLY - unCHECKED

AREA - STATUS
COMPARE - EQUALS
TEXT - VIEWED (from the drop down menu)

ACTION - IGNORE, DON'T NOTIFY
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:43 pm

KY Dave,

Thank you! Yes, you figured out what I meant to say even though I said the exact opposite of what I intended to say. I'm about to try out that rule now, and will report results (though it may take a day or two before that machine restarts with no new messages).

But, if Renier is listening, wouldn't it be a convenience to have an option "Notify only on new messages"?

Edward

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Normally, PopTray doesn't perform the way that you have described.

I'm wondering if this effect is caused by the IMAP plugin you are using and it's communications with PopTray.

When you write "the PopTray notification window appears", are you referring to the ADVANCED INFO POPUP or the main MAIL WINDOW of the PopTray program?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Edward Mendelson
Groupie

Post by Edward Mendelson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:48 pm

I *thought* PopTray shouldn't act this way, but it does consistently on that machine. I'm referring to the main window - the one with the account tabs horizontally across the top below the title bar, and the tabs for Mail, Accounts, Options, Rules, About arranged vertically just inside the right edge.

Advanced Show Info is not checked (and in fact I've never used it at all).

EDIT: I'm using the IMAP4Rev1 plugin. And I just tried out your rule - it does seem to work... More later...