Not a feature request, but kinda close...

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

mod_wastrel
First Timer

Not a feature request, but kinda close...

Post by mod_wastrel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 pm

You may have been asked this question before, though I didn't find it in one of your forums. Have you ever thought about creating an extension for Firefox that handles the basic mail checking and notification functions of PopTray? I've been using PopTray for awhile now (very excellent s/w, does way more stuff than I need), and I think it's great; but there are machines which I (and others) don't have install rights to (and sometimes I'd rather just not install anything "extra" in Windows). I can use Firefox (Portable) for those essentials that involve browsing. I prefer to compose using the browser interface instead of a POP client (multiple machines to deal with), so I'd prefer to also keep the mail check and notifier functions within the browser but not keep a tab open all the time (or go back and forth) for all of the mailboxes that I have (meaning, also, my "mail client" is actually a URL and not an installed application). Plus, there's Linux, which I also use, so I can do almost everything I need to within Firefox and not have to worry about the underlying OS. (Gmail is covered with the Gmail Manager, but my other "POPs" aren't, at least not the way I'd like, namely, the PopTray way.)

Thanks.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:10 am

I'm not the developer...

but you can use PopTray on any media to check your accounts while using Windows, such as a floppy drive, usb memory stick, etc.

There is no 'port' of PopTray that would work under the LINUX OS.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

mpot
Fanatic

Post by mpot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:38 am

KY Dave wrote:There is no 'port' of PopTray that would work under the LINUX OS.
Has anyone tried running PopTray under WINE on linux?

Cheers,
Martin.

jeth
First Timer

Portable PopTray

Post by jeth » Wed May 26, 2010 9:48 pm

That's great, Dave!

I just tried it, and unless I screwed something up.... ;-) It's working!

Another plus for PopTray!

It's been a long while since I did one, but I don't think it was that hard to create a PAF file for easy automatic installation under PortableApps.

But the developer has enough other things to do and it's simple enough to just create the folder and copy a prior installation over to it.