Messages showed as "read" in webmail after using Poptray

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Geert
Evolving

Messages showed as "read" in webmail after using Poptray

Post by Geert » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Hello, When Poptray has checked my Pop mailbox then the next time when I log in to my mailbox using webmail, the messages are shown as "read". I don't want that.
Is there a way to check messages by Pop Tray and the checked messages will not be showed ad "read" when I look using webmail afterwards?
Thanks for the reply.
Geert.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:05 am

You need to ask your ISP if their webmail has an option like that or not... webmail has no standards to follow with each type acting different and POP3 doesn't use ( or can't control ) a read/unread feature.

vitoco
Veteran

Re: Messages showed as "read" in webmail after using Poptray

Post by vitoco » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Geert wrote:Is there a way to check messages by Pop Tray and the checked messages will not be showed ad "read" when I look using webmail afterwards?
Poptray has to read the message to get some info to display and to apply rules, and that forces the server to mark it as "read" when POP3 protocol is used. As it was said POP3 does not provide a command to "unmark" messages.

I'm not sure if TOP 0 command also mark it as "read", as only the message header is delivered to PopTray by the POP server. BTW, TOP 0 POP3 command is used when a quick check is done.

I think that you could try one of the following:

- Use IMAP plugin if your provider's server as it available. I don't know how it implements an equivalent to TOP 0, but the IMAP command to retrieve only the header of a message does not mark is as "read".

- Use one of the webmail-to-pop gateways or proxies. Some of them allows you to mark a message as unread after retrieving it, if the webmail has an option to do that. A popular one is
FreePOPs. Please note that doing this way is much sloooooower and it should mark as unread all processed messages, even if you previously read them using your webmail account.

++Vitoco