Open message in email client

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

shakushinnen
Still here

Open message in email client

Post by shakushinnen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi,
I've noticed that when I hit reply, my email client (Thunderbird) opens, but the sender's message is not quoted. Is there a way of getting PopTray to do this?
Thanks,
John

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 am

You can change the setting in PopTray, OPTIONS, MISCELLANEOUS, MAPI INSTEAD OF MAILTO:.

If the box is NOT checked then CHECK it.

SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART PopTray for changes to take effect.

This works with Thunderbird in XP Pro.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

shakushinnen
Still here

Post by shakushinnen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi KY,
Thanks. Your suggestion helped.
But what I'm really trying to do is open Thunderbird in a repy window, with the sender's message quoted, by clicking 'reply' in the message list window. Right now, when I click reply, in the message list window, Thunderbird opens, but does NOT quote the sender. Right now, I have to click the entry in the message list window, then click reply in the opened window. It's not a big deal, just one extra move.
......... john

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:47 pm

shakushinnen wrote:Hi KY,
Thanks. Your suggestion helped.
But what I'm really trying to do is open Thunderbird in a repy window, with the sender's message quoted, by clicking 'reply' in the message list window. Right now, when I click reply, in the message list window, Thunderbird opens, but does NOT quote the sender. Right now, I have to click the entry in the message list window, then click reply in the opened window. It's not a big deal, just one extra move.
......... john
PopTray can't do what you're wanting done for a simple reason.

When you have the list of emails in the MAIL Tab Window, PopTray has not downloaded the message and doesn't have it in memory. I know that you might have checked the box for RETRIEVE BODY WHILE CHECKING, but PopTray doesn't use that for replies.

AFAIK, the only way to insert the quoted message is to PREVIEW the message and then hit REPLY.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Nils
Still here

Post by Nils » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 am

shakushinnen wrote:It's not a big deal, just one extra move.
Yes, you are right. Please copy the following line in the address bar of your web browser
mailto:Test@Test.de?body=> Hello John

You should see a new mail window with a content of the body.

@KY Dave:
... once again you didn't understand what you are talking about. Please learn it's better to say nothing if you do not know what you are talking about.

@shakushinnen:
KY Dave bothered me so long, that I decided not to offer updates of this program. But you are right: It's only 5 minute of work for me...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:20 am

@Nils,

Not only are you rude and try to steal the name of other peoples work... you also don't know what you are talking about... KY Dave has done more here than you will ever do and what he stated at least does work... If only you were half as helpful has he has been... but that isn't your style is it...

You were not offering updates of this program... you were offering your derivative of this one and then were trying to "steal" its name as yours by continuing to use Poptray's fine name on your work...

What I think is that you need to shut up if you can't be nice to others...

shakushinnen
Still here

Post by shakushinnen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:22 am

Gentlemen. I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest.
K.Y. - Thanks for the suggestions.
Nils - I did as you suggested, and it did as you said, but how do I apply that to my problem.
Thanks,
John

Nils
Still here

Post by Nils » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:52 am

shakushinnen wrote:Nils - I did as you suggested, and it did as you said, but how do I apply that to my problem.
Why do you try to solve your problem only? Why don't you think how to assist also other people?

I'm sorry, but the only kind of way to solve your problem I know it teaching KY Dave and Rdsok to motivate Renier or me to go ahead with the developement of PopTray. The first guy is not longer interessed about this project - and the other two do not try working together on ONE project.

The only solution of your problem I know is showing this tree guys how a working together on one project can work - how a working together whould bring an advantage for everybody.

This kind of assistance of the PopTray project can everybody do!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Nils wrote:Yes, you are right. Please copy the following line in the address bar of your web browser
mailto:Test@Test.de?body=> Hello John

You should see a new mail window with a content of the body.

@KY Dave:
... once again you didn't understand what you are talking about. Please learn it's better to say nothing if you do not know what you are talking about.
If users aren't using the RETRIEVE BODY WHILE CHECKING function of PopTray how do you get the information from the body of the email to paste into the browser window? You can't.

If there are multiple emails shown in the Mail Tab Window how does your line of code know which body to paste?

That might work where a user is downloading the body and there is only one email present.
KY Dave

Family Blog

shakushinnen
Still here

Post by shakushinnen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Thank you all again for your help.
......john

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:03 pm

shakushinnen

Nothing you asked or done caused any problems.

You're welcome and I hope you will continue using the forum for any questions you need answered.
KY Dave

Family Blog

shakushinnen
Still here

Post by shakushinnen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks K.Y.
I like this program. It works well.
.... john