Can PopTray be used with an iPhone?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

kandoo
Evolving

Can PopTray be used with an iPhone?

Post by kandoo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 am

Is there a way to use PopTray to filter SPAM with the iPhone? For example, have you heard of SODA3? Can PopTray be used similarly, or otherwise?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 am

Please read the main website... it already covers what it is compatible with.

kandoo
Evolving

Post by kandoo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:19 am

I HAVE read the main website. In fact, I've been using PopTray for years as a mail notifier and Spam filter between several POP3 e-mail accounts and my desktop e-mail client (Outlook Express). I just didn't know if someone in the forum might be aware of a non-published way of using this tool to filter Spam sent to my iPhone. You completely ignored my reference to SODA3, which I will use if there is no way to use PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:59 am

Does your iPhone run any of the supported versions of Windows... didn't think so. Your soda question is then irrelevant since that isn't Windows either.

kandoo
Evolving

Post by kandoo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I never asked if PopTray could run on the iPhone. If you read my original question it asks "Is there a way to use PopTray to filter SPAM with the iPhone". SODA3 doesn't run on the iPhone either. However, you are wrong to say "your soda question is then irrelevant since that isn't Windows either". It doesn't need to run in Windows. It sits between the iPhone and your mail server and can filter up to 5 POP3 e-mail accounts, which is exactly what I have PopTray doing for me now in a Windows desktop environment.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:24 pm

SODA3 is a POP3 client, just like PopTray.

SODA3 is not a notifier, it is a gateway service that filters out all mails that is not on your predefined whitelist, so you can read only relevant mails using your PDA's email client. I guess that it also manages up to six mailboxes as a single one.

PopTray is a notifier and also can delete emails based on rules. You can also preview emails without an email client. But PopTray is not a gateway, and your email client must access the mailboxes directly to download messages, but it won't find the ones previously deleted by PT.

I think that SODA3 is more like K9 or FreePOPs as a concept.
kandoo wrote:Is there a way to use PopTray to filter SPAM with the iPhone? For example, have you heard of SODA3? Can PopTray be used similarly, or otherwise?
You can leave PopTray running unattended in your PC at home or office. It will remove all your SPAM from all your email accounts if properly configured.

At the same time, you can browse your email from the iPhone, and it should not show spam already removed by PT... except those very new that will be removed the next time PT performs a check. Be aware that if you set PT to check every minute, your email provider can close your account.

So it is posible... 8)

BTW, I don't know more of SODA3 than what is said on it's home page and FAQ.

++Vitoco