GMail disappears when checked in PopTray

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

gracie
Fanatic

GMail disappears when checked in PopTray

Post by gracie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 am

Set up GMail using the examples plug in, POP over SSL, and port 995 and it works in PopTray and Eudora perfectly. EXCEPT I just discovered that if I preview the email in PopTray, I cannot then download it into Eudora---it's gone!

Yes, I have GMail's POP setup set to delete the email from GMail after I retrieve it with POP, but with other accounts (like my domain and my ISP's ), I have those set to delete from server when retrieved also, but it doesn't delete until I actually retrieve it in Eudora---those don't consider previewing in PopTray a "retrieval" I guess and GMail does!

Which makes it almost useless to use PopTray for checking GMail, as you either have to lose the email forever if you preview it, download every email into your mail client without previewing (which defeats the purpose of PopTray as a previewer), or set GMail to leave on server which means you still have to go into GMail to manually delete them continually.

Any suggestions? When I used YPops with PopTray (before it stopped working), the emails were still available for download to Eudora after previewing in PopTray; every other server works as well, just not GMail?

Thanks for any help.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:54 am

The problem is caused by the setting you have in Gmail... do not have it delete the email when accessed in POP

gracie
Fanatic

Post by gracie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 am

Rdsok wrote:The problem is caused by the setting you have in Gmail... do not have it delete the email when accessed in POP
thanx for your response, rdsok. we seem to have some difficulty communicating---as i thought i said, i DON'T want the stuff left on the server, since once i download it to eudora (or read and delete it in poptray) i don't want it clogging up gmail and coming down again.

every other email addy i have (my domain, my isp, yahoo) is set to delete from server once downloaded, yet all come into poptray to be previewed and then still are available for download into eudora, at which point they are deleted from the server. only gmail seems to be doing this with poptray, and that's what led to the question.

sorry if i wasn't clear; hope this is less confusing. i just don't understand why gmail is considering the preview in poptray as a trigger to delete when yahoo, my domain, and my isp don't.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm

We are not having difficulty communicating... You are just not understanding that GMail is not a standard email server and does not act as normal ones do... You must work with the way it works and there is nothing that can be done about.

GMail is a webmail account that has some POP features added to it. When accessed using the POP3 you have three ways that it will behave when it is accessed...

1. Keep GMails copy in the inbox
2. Archive GMails copy
3. Delete Gmails copy

There are no other options available to you for POP3 access. The option I suggested would allow you to access it from both Poptray and Eudora ( or other email client ).

The choice is up to you as to what you choose to have it do.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 pm

gracie, as Rdsok said, Gmail is not a standard POP server, and you must not configure it to delete your mail once retrieved for the first time if it will be previewed using many apps or computers.

I don't know if this can be done on Gmail's servers, but you have to configure Eudora to delete the emails after it retrieves them (using a DELE command available in the POP3 protocol).

Googling, I found the following steps for Eudora:

1. Select Tool > Options from the Menu Bar.
2. Select the Incoming Mail category in the Options Dialog Box.
3. Uncheck the "Leave mail on server" checkbox.

++Vitoco

SoldatoBiancaneve
Still here

Post by SoldatoBiancaneve » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

hi gracie...

I just realized that problem, because I've set poptray to check gmail from a week...

how You resolved the problem??

thanxxx
Filippo

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:17 am

SoldatoBiancaneve wrote:how You resolved the problem??
You resolve it by following the instructions that have already been given in this thread.

tisazalay
First Timer

Post by tisazalay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm

You can try using FreePOPs, it'll allow you to do what you want with GMail...(pop mail in different programs until 1 deletes it), you can set freepops (the gmail lua) to delete or archive (i guess you can also leave in the inbox)-
Just a little warning, the LUA has had a bit of trouble but the latest (I guess 0.55 or something like that) is behaving properly right now.
I'm pretty sure KY Dave has a tutorial on setting up the freepops with gmail.
Another plus for that is you can access the spam folder.

You can always try IMAP to see if it fits you better...

BTW, as stated by others, the behavior you complain about is purely gmail's (for example, try doing it the other way, read it in Eudora and then in Poptray... won't work, gmail only allows 1 pop "body retrive..." for a message unless you reset the pop on settings and that is bothersome)

tisazalay

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:47 am

Try this setup to retrieve email uisng POP3 from GMAIL.

Using the POP3 with SSL or APOP Plug-in in PopTray...

SERVER SETTINGS - pop.gmail.com
PROTOCOL - POP SSL
PORT 995
USERNAME - recent:yourusername@gmail.com
PASSWORD - yOUrpASswoRD

In GMAIL...

OPEN your account and Click on SETTINGS, Forwarding and POP/IMAP,

then set the radio button for --> Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on

Now set --> When messages are accessed with POP archive Gmail's copy

Make sure to SAVE your settings before exiting.

The recent command makes the last 30 days of messages available to more than one email client. You can read more in the GMAIL HELP section at the following url...
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=47948

Take a look at the setup I'm using without a PopTray Plugin to retrieve GMAIL and HOTMAIL at this link...
viewtopic.php?t=3791
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.