resources

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Oler

resources

Post by Oler » Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:48 pm

:idea: to me Poptray b4 work fine. the only thing that is no good is the amount user resources: it take almost 10% (too may I think) so I must close some task to avoid crash system. Maybe it needs some library *.dll to reduce executable.

SO: Windows 98 SE

Regards.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:56 am

I don't think that an average memory usage of 2mb is too much. Maybe it does more depend on your whole system or your general configuration than on PT. I'm running PT on Win98SE and WinXP Pro and it never caused any problems, neither with the ressources nor with with anything else.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:53 am

I think it depends also by:
* how many accounts are you using
* how many messages (=headers) PT has to keep in memory
* how many rules you have
ilNebbioso®

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:59 am

Keeping that all in mind, I would say that the consumption of ressources by PT is perfectly in the green area.

Oler

Post by Oler » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:45 pm

ilNebbioso wrote:I think it depends also by:
* how many accounts are you using
* how many messages (=headers) PT has to keep in memory
* how many rules you have
ilNebbioso®
8 accounts but 4 disabled;
I've not seen any option to keeps headers in memory;
1 rule for now...

PS: I'm in Vicenza... forse potrai darmi qualche suggerimento by e-mail. I'm an old pc user a bit experienced.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:58 pm

I see... this is going to be an Italian thing....

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:35 am

:D
Yes, this IS an italian thing! :wink:

Oler, aiutarti via email è difficile, poichè:
1) non hai lasciato il tuo indirizzo email
2) sei sicuro che sia PopTray la causa dei problemi? E non magari il buon antivirus "blindato" troppo che non fa fare il suo lavoro a PopTray (ho avuto una esperienza in questo senso con McAfee 6!). Prova a lanciare, a pc appena acceso, solo PopTray senza alcun altro applicativo, ne' antivirus, ne' nella tray aperto. Fammi sapere anche tramite questo topic.

---transation for not italians--- :wink:
Oler, helping you by email is quite difficult because:
1) you didn't leave your email address
2) are you sure it is a PopTray problem? ...and not (e.g.) the Antivirus software too blinded (I had a bad experience in this way with McAfee Viruscan 6). Try to run PT without any application started (Antivirus, applcations and tray programs!). Feel free to answer me directly by this forum.
ilNebbioso®

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:00 am

ilNebbioso wrote:2) are you sure it is a PopTray problem?
It might be that some memory consuming programs really do interfere and, as we know, Win98 is not the best in terms of memory management. I would rather suggest that this is not a PT thing since the configuration of Oler with eight accounts, one rule etc. should not increase the ressources that high.

But I leave it to you, dear ilNebbioso, to solve the problem since my Italian is definitely not worth mentioning. I couldn't even order a pizza :wink:

In any case, if some help is needed, just tell me in a language I do understand :D

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:10 am

Bateman wrote:But I leave it to you, dear ilNebbioso, to solve the problem since my Italian is definitely not worth mentioning. I couldn't even order a pizza :wink:
Ok, let's start with another discussion (just for today, becuase I'm starting for holidays for 3 weeks!) totally off-topic regarding pizza:
1) I'm curious to hear you ordering a pizza in a "perfect" italian!
2) Which kind of pizza do you like?

ilNebbioso®

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:39 am

ilNebbioso wrote:1) I'm curious to hear you ordering a pizza in a "perfect" italian!
Didn't I make myself clear? I wouldn't survive a day in Italy without sign language :D
ilNebbioso wrote:2) Which kind of pizza do you like?
Any kind, to be honest. I'm a pizza addict 8) What about you? And where are you going for your holiday?

Hey, have you recognized, we are going off-topic again. I'm afraid we'll soon be on Renier's black list, banned for life and having to find another cozy home-forum... :o

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:49 am

Sorry, Bateman, I read too fast your answer, so I read "could" instead of "couldn't"... :oops:

My best pizza is with ham, plus ricotta (soft white unsalted cheese made from sheep's milk) and ananas slices add after cooking. slurp

Holidays, this year me and my wife will remain in Italy, just over the Garda lake (north of Italy): mountains, hills, the lake, bikes, sun, not too hot. A nice thing! :D

About Renier's balck list: what about to make a "coup d'etat"...??? :D

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:07 am

You're welcome... :)
ilNebbioso wrote:just over the Garda lake (north of Italy): mountains, hills, the lake, bikes, sun, not too hot. A nice thing! :D
Some friends of mine have been there just recently. Really nice! Actually I'm a bit jealous since all people go on holiday or have had theirs already while I have none - except for some lousy five days in London four months ago... :(
ilNebbioso wrote:About Renier's balck list: what about to make a "coup d'etat"...??? :D
Anytime, anyplace... :D

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:22 am

Sorry for your not-holidays... Will you have them in September or when? ...or none? :cry:

I personally prefer to go holidays in July, because here in Italy all big activities stops in august. So, if you're working during August you're in holidays twice (in July and August!!!) :D

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:40 am

I don't know what the next weeks/months do hold for me but actually it seems that I don't have any holidays this year - like in the last 5 years - except for maybe a couple of days off (if I'm lucky) but I wouldn't call it a real holiday.

Lucky you, I think I should emigrate to Italy if you can get that much holidays in a row. If it wasn't for the language... :D

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:45 am

Why? You could learn italian language easily!

I'm afraid for your totally no-holiday answer! :(

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:01 pm

ilNebbioso wrote:Why? You could learn italian language easily!
Maybe I will if I find the time and then I'm going to move to Italy and have a more laid-back lifestyle :D. We can then organize some commune in the hills or some other cool place, together with Curtz and some others, live in a pretty anarchistic way and show society "the finger" :P

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:21 pm

I will be happy if will meet in the future... I'm actually doing since 1998 with one an Holland guy who I knew by a website I actually admin: he love a lot Italy, and we met last time just a week ago when he came in Italy for holidays, as every year!

About this, it is possible I'll come in Germany next year, during summertime and hopefully in September for my sister in law marriage: she will be married in Beckum or in Bielefeld. Are you in that neighboorhood( :?: )?

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:34 pm

Actually Bielefeld (or even Beckum) is quite away from me but you might pass my hometown when travelling there. And if I remember right, Curtz is Danish, so we could all meet in the middle for a day or two and have a few pints :D

But generally it would be damn cool if we could find some place where at least the European part of the PT-Community could meet some day. Of course all oversea-ers would be invited as well. Maybe we should set up another topic concerning a meeting.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:48 pm

Yes, surely we could open a new thread when it will be possible to meet somewhere in sometime... but now, why change our uses seen that Renier is not here?? :twisted:

Seriously: this meeting are always welcome. If you, Curtz, or others good-PT-tester-of-the-community will pass throu Milan, please advice me to meet also for few minutes.... :D

ps. I do not drink any alcoolic... :!:

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:17 pm

Excellent! Thanks for your offer!!

Maybe we should wait with our planning for the gathering just until Curtz is back, which should be pretty soon if I remember right, and continue this conversation. I'm already looking forward to this (possible) meeting. Anyway, keep me updated about your trip to Bielefeld or where ever, maybe we can arrange something.
ilNebbioso wrote:ps. I do not drink any alcoolic... :!:
Trust me, this won't be a problem :D