SPAM PAL K9

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

tobuo
Still here

SPAM PAL K9

Post by tobuo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 pm

hello - i´m a new member but using PT since years - now i have a new ISP without a spam filter - time to go for the RULES again - and i´d like to use K9 or SPAM PAL - i read a K9 manual already buti dont understand the thing in general - how can such a software work if i can not put my mailserver data in it - in K9 for instance there is no field to leave: mail server name, account name, and so on - how can this filter work - it must be somehow before PT to filter the spam away - therefore it needs some entries or? - who can explain me how it works - brgds tobuo from berlin
i even don´t like spam if it´s food

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am

tobuo
Still here

k9

Post by tobuo » Tue May 04, 2010 6:05 pm

hi - thank you but this i know allready - my question was: how does it work - is k9 a software that automaticly puts itself between any incoming mail server and a mail client (in this case poptray)?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 pm

I think your questions about K9 itself are best directed at that author/support instead of here... here is their website http://keir.net/k9.html

K9 isn't automatic BTW... its a standard proxy type of spam filter which as you mentioned sits between the email client and the email server.

tobuo
Still here

Post by tobuo » Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 am

thank you einstein

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun May 16, 2010 2:35 pm

In simple words...

The way K9 works is, you set PopTray to pass the request to check email to K9 (Server = 127.0.0.1 Port = 9999). K9 forwards the request to the email server.

Then K9 evaluates the information that is sent back from the email server. It counts the numbers of words in the email and uses a mathmatical formula to determine what is spam and what is good. It also uses white/black lists, spamhaus.org lists, regular expressions and several other means to determine what you think is spam or good. Then K9 can place a marker in the subject or header of the email.

K9 then passes the altered email to PopTray. Then PopTray will evaluate the altered email according to the rules you have entered into PopTray.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.