E-mail alert icon suddenly black instead of red

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

calinette
Still here

E-mail alert icon suddenly black instead of red

Post by calinette » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am

Windows XP, fully updated, latest SP and necessary protection enabled.

Since two days now, the alert icon for a particular account is now black instead of red.
I tried the following:

Defining a different colour> icon stays black.

Defining black. Shutting down PopTray. Then relaunching, changing colour back to red> Icon stays black.

Looking inside PopTray.ini to edit it but the icon is defined as 'clRed' so it should work. But does not.

Uninstalling, deleting install folder and cleaning registry, then install in different folder and using old 'ini' file> icon stays black.

Removing old 'ini' file and let PopTray run from scratch, then creating the account> icon is black.

So... does anyone have any ideas??? It's not the fact that the icon is black but the fact that I did not change anything and this happens nonetheless. I would like to understand why this is happening and what I can do to remedy it. It should simply work the way it used to. Thanks for your input!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

This type of issue will seldom be caused by any program corruption or incorrect program setting.. The things you've said you tried also seems to validate that it isn't a program caused problem.

It is usually a display driver issue but can also be caused when hardware is at fault.

calinette
Still here

Post by calinette » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 am

Thank you for your reaction.

For some strange reason, after fighting this battle for almost three days, I can now use the red colour again. I really do not have a clue to what causes this.

I am truly stumped. :?
I can't even say it's solved since this would imply I took care of it. Which I did not. I simply tried to get it back to normal and that did not work. Maybe all the work of yesterday, and finally shutting down the machine, did the trick. Who's to tell...

:(
Stumped...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Just about any type of electronics are like that sometimes... sometimes they simply need to be turned off and then back on. Everything from static shocks to electrical surges and brownouts can lead to these types of these "one-time" issues.

Connections to components, like your monitor, are also a possible cause and simply disconnecting and reconnecting them often can resolve these types of issues.