PopTray 3.0 (beta 10)

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

PopTray 3.0 (beta 10)

Post by Renier » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:54 am

Changes
(+) Retrieve body while checking (option).
(+) Rules can look in body if above option ticked.
(+) New Spam DropDown button.
(+) New rule action to Protect messages from auto-delete/spam-mark.
(+) Started an FAQ in the help file and on the website.
(*) "Del" key press in rule list will delete rule.
(*) Better handling of balloon info on Win9x.
(*) Status icon for Protected/WhiteList messages.
(-) Sort direction wasn't saved correctly.
(-) Only save customize file if toolbar customize dialog opened.
(-) Strip comments and blank lines when loading translation files.
(-) Quit even if saving to PopTray.ini fails.
(-) Save preview font style and charset.
(-) Balloon on Win9x while minimized.
(-) QuickHelp showed behind form when "Stay on Top" was ticked.
(-) "Stay on Top" flash to rules tab, when checking, removed.
(-) Info column width saving was wrong.
(-) Remove rules from PopTray.ini when creating Rules.ini.

At the moment I have some trouble logging in to my account at SourceForge, so I haven't updated the website to reflect the new release. Therefore I also haven't sent out this release to my mailing list yet. But forum users can download it directly from SourceForge: Poptray downloads
Last edited by Renier on Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:45 am

Note: To see the new Spam DropDown button, you must delete your PopTray.customize file.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:03 pm

PT 3.0b10 uploaded on the italian mirror

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:32 pm

SourceForge finally recovered from their system crash, and restored my login, so I updated my site to reflect PopTray 3.0 (beta 10).

CrAzY DiD

Post by CrAzY DiD » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:11 pm

When do you release the Final Pop Tray 3.0 ?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:19 pm

Renier wrote:Note: To see the new Spam DropDown button, you must delete your PopTray.customize file.
To delete in the new version once installed ? Does it mean that I will have to choose all my options as a new user ?
:?:

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:58 pm

It's just the TOOLBAR Icons.

Only your TOOLBAR Icons will need to be redone, such as the Icons for CHECK MAIL, PREVIEW, DEL SPAM, and so on... if any.

It will probably revert to the orginal settings, and you might have to add any extra ones you use and maybe rearrange the icons.

Not a real big deal, shouldn't take over a minute.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:18 am

KY Dave wrote:It's just the TOOLBAR Icons.

Only your TOOLBAR Icons will need to be redone, such as the Icons for CHECK MAIL, PREVIEW, DEL SPAM, and so on... if any.

It will probably revert to the orginal settings, and you might have to add any extra ones you use and maybe rearrange the icons.

Not a real big deal, shouldn't take over a minute.
The window Customize… is the most well hidden secret of PopTray. Suggestion : an icon should always appeared (a button that fingers are setting ?) with, in a balloon window, the word Customize.

The drag and drop funtion is so complicated that I did not understand it (and, naturally, I did not succeed to use it). I do think that toolbars names with the functions preceded by boxes that we could check and uncheck will be a better way to present the Customize windows. To arrange the icons, there should be the possibility of writing (in a window preceding the icon), the rank of the icon: (2) (3) (1) etc. An other possibility is to have arrows that will get up and down the name of the functions after having selected one. The position will be the rank.

But, I keep learning and soon I will offer on my web site the PopTray installation service.
:?: :idea: :o

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:34 am

It is the way most Windows apps lets you customize your toolbar, maybe it is a good solution, maybe not, but no need for PopTray to behave different than the standard.

MS Office, Internet Explorer, WordPerfect... they all work this way.

:)

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:02 am

Curtz wrote:It is the way most Windows apps lets you customize your toolbar, maybe it is a good solution, maybe not, but no need for PopTray to behave different than the standard.

MS Office, Internet Explorer, WordPerfect... they all work this way.

:)
About the Customize functions, most applications have a menu bar with, under a title, different options. We do not have that with PopTray. That's why I suggest to have an icon for Customize.

With most applications, under the title Tools, we have Options that it almost exactly presentend the way I suggest. It could be the way to customize.

About arrows to determinate the rank, we have that in Power Point (to determinate the rank of different elements). It is so intuitive that we immediately understand.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:02 am

I am a tired fool... missed the icon part... of course an icon would be great. :)

Damn, must tremember not to read and answer posts when tired... :roll:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:06 am

The customize works as almost all Windows applications work. It probably won't be changed.

If you don't want to redo you toolbar customization, you can also just drag the new Del Spam button onto your toolbar.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:11 am

CrAzY DiD wrote:When do you release the Final Pop Tray 3.0 ?
I hope soon. New things keeps on creeping in, and then that new stuff has to be stable. Hopefully PopTray 3.0 won't get any new funtionality anymore. I want to get this beta stable for release, and then add new stuff (like rule & preview plugins, etc) into PopTray 3.1.

I do try my best to make sure PopTray is very stable before releasing it though. You'll notice that there were no bugfix releases for PopTray 2.0 or 2.1, because those were stable enough. Getting PopTray 3.0 that stable might be a bit more difficult though. The customization and plugins has brought in a lot of new functionality and complexity. But hopefully it will be worthwhile. The plugins means that PopTray can grow, but still keep the simplicity for the people that don't need certain functionality.

What do you other forum users think? Is Poptray 3.0 almost ready for release?

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:48 am

Almost ready! I have experienced a few AV's, but never predictable AV's I could reproduce. I typically get these AV's when previewing mails.

I am now translating the new strings in the language file, I was hoping you would stall the deveopment so I was not in a hurry :)

Well, honestly, I wouldn't mind if you released it. I haven't kept an eye on the bug section of the forum, I am now a busy bee... :cry:

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:32 pm

I haven't encountered any AVs in the last releases and - to me - this version already is stable. No (major) bugs found except one memory issue which occured only once and was not reproduceable.

IMO we are just one beta away from the final release :D

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:55 pm

Renier wrote:The customize works as almost all Windows applications work. It probably won't be changed.

If you don't want to redo you toolbar customization, you can also just drag the new Del Spam button onto your toolbar.
I am half sorry. I explain. Most of the difficulties that I met come from the explanations given in the window Customize and, in one case, from the word that is used (in French, Actions instead of Commandes). I wrote a new text in the French.ptlang file. Now, it is perfectly comprehensible.

But I still maintain that the function Customize is hidden, difficult to find : this is why I still suggest to have an icon to identify it .

To solve the problem in the twinkling of an eye, have the Customize function by defaut in the toolbar of the mail window. For those who will not want it, they will have the possibility of deleting it. A short sentence could be written in the bottom of the Customize window such as "To reopen this window, right clik in the toolbar of any window".

P.S. It is a chance to have the opportuneness to change the text in the language we use. Maybe this information could be a subject of a FAQ : What can I do if I don't understand a text in such a language I use?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:58 pm

I all Windows applications that allow customized, it is located on the right-click of the toolbar. I cannot use up more space in the toolbar, since I don't want the default toolbar to wrap on two lines, and I don't want to increase the window size.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:07 pm

Curtz wrote:Almost ready! I have experienced a few AV's, but never predictable AV's I could reproduce. I typically get these AV's when previewing mails.
This is my situation too. Just very few AVs in a so long time period, without possibility to reproduce them....

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:25 pm

Curtz wrote:Almost ready! I have experienced a few AV's, but never predictable AV's I could reproduce. I typically get these AV's when previewing mails.
I've also got Access Violation sometimes while proccessing a mail to preview, and I'm sure it has to be with some mail's format. :idea: Probably, a null reference or a missing field in header, because I can click on Raw Message tab and see the whole message behind the Processing... message box.

Right now, I have one that causes an AV at address 00000000. :o I can send the whole mail to Renier to try it. Just email me.

BTW, prior to Official Popray 3.0, Renier must request translators for the latest .ptlang file. New messages must not be included after the latest beta.

:twisted: And I still want the useful Do not parse following rules option!

++Vitoco

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:11 pm

I think it is ready for release. (Had only a small not reproducable problem with closing PT just after b10 was installed.)

I am translating b10 now. I have problems with getteing the translated tooltip for "While checking for new mail........." visible