serious hangs in Windows XP

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

peterlc
First Timer

serious hangs in Windows XP

Post by peterlc » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:23 pm

I have had ENORMOUS problems with poptray beta 3 v 8 beta suddenly hanging, and behaving VERY badly, taking 100% CPU usage.

I have reinstalled XP home a few days ago to see if it was a dodgy XP issue and re-installed poptray

I am still getting similar occurences, at least one per day, which is in line with my experiences on the latest full non beta version.

This isnt meant to start a flaming war with your loyal supporters, but as a friend of mine has identical problems with PopTray 2 IS there an issue here on XP boxes with multiple POP3 a/cs?

I've used POPtray for a year or so, love it's features but am getting tired of the repeated crashes and hangs. Any info appreciated.

Thanks Renier, the software functionality is cool, just wish u cld sort this bug out!

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Re: serious hangs in Windows XP

Post by ilNebbioso » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:33 pm

Peterlc,
just few days ago Renier released the official PopTray 3.0 version. Your 3.0b8 is very old! So... upgrade! :)

PierreBe
Groupie

Post by PierreBe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 pm

The problem should be something else, maybe a hard or other
software conflict, I use poptray on 4 different computers with XP
Pro, Home and Tablet edition without problems. Those computers
are packed with programs so If poptray was buggy I should see it.
I can't imaging that poptray is causing problems on a clean XP install.
Since your friend has the same problem I suggest to see for same
hardware or software that you two use what could give a conflict to poptray.

Also try the latest version of poptray.

I use 3 different pop boxes and the hotmail plugin (b6)

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45 pm

...what about simply a bug into PT3.0b8? ;)
Seriously: upgrade and then we'll search about it! :)

PierreBe
Groupie

Post by PierreBe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:49 pm

ilNebbioso wrote:...what about simply a bug into PT3.0b8? ;)
Seriously: upgrade and then we'll search about it! :)
There aren't bugs in poptray, only a few things not programmed :wink:

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:52 pm

PierreBe wrote:___________________
They call me .5k (...less 12)
Should it not be (...less 6) :?:

pviton
Enthusiast

Post by pviton » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:26 pm

For what it's worth, I've used every beta of PopTray on an XP (pro) box, and have never had the problem mentioned here. One thing to note is that I've got a huge amount of memory (1G ram) - perhaps the problem arises when memory is scarce? Could the original poster supply some system details?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:54 pm

Also check your connection TimeOut. Some people have reported hangs, but is was in fact just waiting the 2 minutes before giving a time out error.

PierreBe
Groupie

Post by PierreBe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:23 pm

homaquebec wrote:
PierreBe wrote:___________________
They call me .5k (...less 12)
Should it not be (...less 6) :?:

:o

peterlc
First Timer

1005 CPU issue

Post by peterlc » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:46 am

Running an out-of the box Compaq Presario 1.7 with 260Mb ram. Friend has identical PC as bought at the same time. Totally unmodified, running latest service pack XP home.

Its not a timeout issue, as Task manager ( which I run all the time) shows the memory allocation to poptray suddenly masively increase with associated 100% CPU activity.

PopTray requires a stop process command from Task manager to release itself. (This is the only app that causes problems of this nature)

The occurence "seems" to be on checking mailboxes, when I disable auto-check there are no hangs. Timeout is 120 secs, but I'm sure that thats not an issue.

I observe that the problems occur irrespective of how many apps I have running, so not a memory issue on that score.

I'm inclined to beleive that there is some hardware issue, but will put another older PC on-line and see if that solves it.

Thanks for your input.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:14 pm

peterlc wrote:but as a friend of mine has identical problems with PopTray 2 IS there an issue here on XP boxes with multiple POP3 a/cs?
I've also used XP Home and Pro with PopTray without the lockups.

I was wondering, since you and your friend are experiencing about the same problems, are you using the same ISPs or same mail servers?

One thing you might do is disable one account at a time and see if the lockups continue. This might help isolate the problem unless all your email accounts are with the same provider.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Zev0
Still here

Re: 1005 CPU issue

Post by Zev0 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:46 pm

peterlc wrote:Running an out-of the box Compaq Presario 1.7 with 260Mb ram. Friend has identical PC as bought at the same time. Totally unmodified, running latest service pack XP home.
260MB of ram is just a hair above the minimum recommended for XP. To get your box running smoothly one should have AT LEAST 512.
XP-Pro w/SP-2, OutPost Pro V3, Nod32 AV, SpyblockerPro, BlackHoleSurfer,
BoClean, PopTray 3.2 beta 2, Script Sentry

Renier
Site Admin

Re: 1005 CPU issue

Post by Renier » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:54 pm

Zev0 wrote:260MB of ram is just a hair above the minimum recommended for XP. To get your box running smoothly one should have AT LEAST 512.
I don't agree. I developed PopTray on an XP box with only 128MB of RAM without any problems. Using .NET is a different story. VisualStudio.NET really requires 512MB.

peterlc
First Timer

Post by peterlc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:22 pm

ah... we are using the same mailservers in california for nearly all the a/c's.
I will set up another instance of poptray and just use this for the English ISP mail ac and see if that sorts the issue.
Thanks for your constructive input ;-)

yes memory is a tad low, but apart from Dreamweaver MX which is notoriously memory hungry I run Photoshop and work on large files ( 300 mb plus) without any problem, so can't really see how a tiny program like poptray can have a problem!
KY Dave wrote:
peterlc wrote:but as a friend of mine has identical problems with PopTray 2 IS there an issue here on XP boxes with multiple POP3 a/cs?
I've also used XP Home and Pro with PopTray without the lockups.

I was wondering, since you and your friend are experiencing about the same problems, are you using the same ISPs or same mail servers?

One thing you might do is disable one account at a time and see if the lockups continue. This might help isolate the problem unless all your email accounts are with the same provider.