Filter on space doesn't work

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

metalmakker
Evolving

Filter on space doesn't work

Post by metalmakker » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:33 am

Some spam messages have subjects like: "Online pharmacy! [several spaces here...] s#3r".
I created a filter with only several "spaces" so anything with three or more spaces in a row in the subject will be deleted from the server. It works.... until I turn off my computer or the program and restart. Poptray has forgotten the spaces in the rule. The filter action is now empty so to speak.
The strange thing is that it works fine untill I restart the program. :?

How can I work around this or is it a little bug that can be fixed in a new version?

Metalmakker
If it's too fast, you're too old...

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:39 am

I have a similar rule. I just use the wildcard feature.

Code: Select all

Subject : Wildcard : *       *

metalmakker
Evolving

Post by metalmakker » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:21 am

I tried that before, but it didn't work. Maybe I made a mistake. I'll try it again and let you know what happens.
If it's too fast, you're too old...

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Wed May 26, 2004 6:51 pm

We know from this and other threads that an .ini file does not preserve trailing spaces, so when PopTray is restarted, a rule with trailing spaces gets changed and no longer works the same.

Is there a way under 3.0.3 to write a rule that identifies a subject line with no blank spaces? I get tons of spam where the subject contains a single random word. This is identifiable with regular expressions or with multipart rules, but that's in the beta version.

Gary

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu May 27, 2004 2:31 am

While your correct about the trailing spaces, Renier's example doesn't have any, it has an '*' on either end.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Sat May 29, 2004 3:41 pm

GaryGo wrote:Is there a way under 3.0.3 to write a rule that identifies a subject line with no blank spaces? I get tons of spam where the subject contains a single random word. This is identifiable with regular expressions or with multipart rules, but that's in the beta version.
You are right with your comment, but even using 3.1 you should be very careful with such a rule. It will mark as spam some valid emails from your friends, with subjects like "Hello", "Metallica", "Spiderman" or "PopTray".

++Vitoco

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:36 pm

vitoco wrote:You are right with your comment, but even using 3.1 you should be very careful with such a rule. It will mark as spam some valid emails from your friends, with subjects like "Hello", "Metallica", "Spiderman" or "PopTray".
++Vitoco
Yes, I agree. Actually, I already delete (non whitelisted) emails with a subject of "Hello", no sane person would send such an email, and it's always spam.

Gary

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:21 pm

I actually have gotten some valid emails with hello, hi, just checking in as well as blank subjects. Of course the people sending them are possibly psychotic, after all they are either related to me or simply a friend. :D

Sometimes people are just get too lazy to enter a good subject line and when making a rule you should take this into account.

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:25 pm

Rdsok wrote:Sometimes people are just get too lazy to enter a good subject line and when making a rule you should take this into account.
I occasionally get blank subject emails from friends, but if they're not in my whitelist, they aren't all that close of a friend, so the email gets deleted. I get as many as 20 spam emails per day with a blank subject. I also delete emails with attachments from non-whitelist senders, I don't even bother to dowload the body, I just check for 'multipart/mixed' in the header. This gives me an occasional false positive, but it deletes all the viruses.

Gary