Connection closed gracefully..

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Locked
User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Connection closed gracefully..

Post by metalmakker » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:21 am

I have posted about this problem before, but haven't found a solution yet. I get a lot of spam every day and on a daily basis Poptray hangs on messages that (99% of the times) have no subject or body. They seem to be corrupted emails, mostly from yahoo and msn accounts. Poptray can't ignore these messages, hangs up and stops downloading my email. This way I can't let my computer run and let Poptray and K9 clean up my mailbox while I work.
All it says is Connection closed gracefully.... :(

Is it possible to make Poptray skip certain emails when it appears to be corrupted in some way?
If it's too fast, you're too old...

User avatar
ComputerBob
Guru
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:27 pm
Location: The Gulf Coast of the Sunshine State, USA
Contact:

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:28 pm

Several times in the past, I've reported Access Violation errors that occur for me in PopTray, that also may be caused by the same type of messages. When it happens, PT hangs and won't download any messages, so I end up opening my email client, downloading ALL the spam, and manually deleting it. :?

Though I've often suspected that the errors that I get have been caused by messages with blank subjects, blank FROM, or blank bodies, I've been unable to test my theory, because usually when it happens, there are many email messages on my server, and I have no way of knowing which one is actually causing the Access Violation error. :x
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Work around

Post by metalmakker » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:57 pm

Well Computerbob, I've got that problem too of course, but what I do, I download only the headers with my email client and delete the messages that have no subject. They stand out, so it's pretty easy to find them, mark them and delete them. After that Poptray has no problem anymore.

My problem is, however, that I want the program to do this automatically... Poptray and K9 together would be the PERFECT match, but now... it's cool until I get another of those emails..... :|
If it's too fast, you're too old...

GaryGo
Enthusiast
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:37 pm
Location: Upstate NY, USA

Post by GaryGo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:23 am

I don't think I've seen this problem, but I use multiple accounts, so maybe it's hard to tell. I am unable to catch empty from addresses, but they don't crash PopTray. I do catch empty subjects, every day, and these are handled nicely.

I have been having the "@ outside address" problem seen in another thread. I wanted to comment that these problems, that stop PopTray from retrieving and processing email, are not just nuisances. When they happen on a regular basis, they are absolute disasters that make PopTray useless.

I certainly can't find any other freeware with the potential of PopTray, and most shareware isn't as good. But as you can see, I'm doing my best to keep these threads at the top of the bug list.

Gary

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by metalmakker » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:51 pm

Garygo, it's not the empty subject that is the problem, but when the problem occurs it is always with emails that have no subject. You're so right when you say it makes poptray useless when this happens. Today I wasn't online for about 6 hours and got 65 spam emails in that period of time. They would all have been filtered out if it wasn't for message number 2.... an empty message from a non existent yahoo account....

I hate this!!!!! :twisted:
If it's too fast, you're too old...

User avatar
KY Dave
Not the Developer
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 pm
Location: Burkesville, KY. U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Work around

Post by KY Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:48 pm

metalmakker wrote:Well Computerbob, I've got that problem too of course, but what I do, I download only the headers with my email client and delete the messages that have no subject. They stand out, so it's pretty easy to find them, mark them and delete them. After that Poptray has no problem anymore.

My problem is, however, that I want the program to do this automatically... Poptray and K9 together would be the PERFECT match, but now... it's cool until I get another of those emails..... :|
You could have K9 add ~SPAM~ to the SUBJECT of your emails and then there would be no problem with an empty SUBJECT.

That's the way I use it anyway, so Outlook Express will have a criteria to filter SPAM out in case it gets by while OE is loading.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA
Contact:

Re: Work around

Post by Rdsok » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:36 am

KY Dave wrote:You could have K9 add ~SPAM~ to the SUBJECT of your emails and then there would be no problem with an empty SUBJECT.

That's the way I use it anyway, so Outlook Express will have a criteria to filter SPAM out in case it gets by while OE is loading.
KY Dave, I have a question for you concerning K9, not PopTray so it really doesn't probably belong here but I'll ask anyway bacause it has to do with your post. (I have no shame :) )

Does (or will) K9 mark a malformed email as spam? The reason I asked is that the problem they are talking about obviously isn't caused by the fact that it contains just an empty subject line, but one that probably as a result of it being malformed also has an empty subject. I'm just curious since my ISP does for me what K9 does.

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Work around

Post by metalmakker » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:47 pm

KYdave wrote:

You could have K9 add ~SPAM~ to the SUBJECT of your emails and then there would be no problem with an empty SUBJECT.

That's the way I use it anyway, so Outlook Express will have a criteria to filter SPAM out in case it gets by while OE is loading.

=====
But as I said, the problem is NOT the empty subject line. It is the email itself. Poptray will only filter messages that it downloads entirely (right?). So even an addition of the word SPAM in het subject will not make it delete the message because it isn't capable of downloading the message at all.
If it's too fast, you're too old...

User avatar
Rdsok
PopTray Family
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA
Contact:

Re: Work around

Post by Rdsok » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:54 pm

metalmakker wrote: But as I said, the problem is NOT the empty subject line. It is the email itself. Poptray will only filter messages that it downloads entirely (right?). So even an addition of the word SPAM in het subject will not make it delete the message because it isn't capable of downloading the message at all.
I agree that an empty subject line isn't the problem. I also wouldn't mark an email as spam only for that reason since some people I recieve email from sometimes doen't remember to put a subject on a email to me. My question had only to marking malformed emails themselves as spam, not empty subject lines.

User avatar
KY Dave
Not the Developer
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 pm
Location: Burkesville, KY. U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Work around

Post by KY Dave » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:34 pm

Rdsok wrote:
KY Dave, I have a question for you concerning K9, not PopTray so it really doesn't probably belong here but I'll ask anyway bacause it has to do with your post. (I have no shame :) )

Does (or will) K9 mark a malformed email as spam? The reason I asked is that the problem they are talking about obviously isn't caused by the fact that it contains just an empty subject line, but one that probably as a result of it being malformed also has an empty subject. I'm just curious since my ISP does for me what K9 does.
To answer your question;

I don't have this malformed email problem on my setup using PopTray 3.1 beta 4, and K9 version 1.25. It does NOT hang on these malformed messages, if I receive any. I don't know if I simply don't get those messages, or PopTray is deleting them. One way or another, they are not showing up here. As for the blank subject lines, it takes care of them, I can see in K9 where they have been archived.
metalmakker wrote:I get a lot of spam every day and on a daily basis Poptray hangs on messages that (99% of the times) have no subject or body. They seem to be corrupted emails, mostly from yahoo and msn accounts. Poptray can't ignore these messages, hangs up and stops downloading my email.
Is it possible to make Poptray skip certain emails when it appears to be corrupted in some way?
You might in PopTray on the OPTIONS tab, ADVANCED OPTIONS, check the box for IGNORE RETRIEVE ERRORS. If already checked this option, I'm out of answers.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by metalmakker » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:23 pm

I have the Ignore retrieve errors box checked. I've changed some of the other settings now. Maybe it helps. We'll see when the next corrupted email arrives... :?
I'm hesitating a bit wether I should install the beta version of Poptray... I don't want my rules messed up like I read on the forum here..

And thanks everybody for thinking along, it will help in the end!
If it's too fast, you're too old...

GaryGo
Enthusiast
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:37 pm
Location: Upstate NY, USA

Post by GaryGo » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:46 am

With all due respect to everybody, especially the PopTray developers who provide us with a great tool for free, the problem with discussing K9 is that it suggests that a separate product should be used to work around a problem with PopTray. So, here I go again, keeping these threads at the top of the Bug forum.

No one piece of software does everything, not even PopTray. I hear that K9 is a good tool. I'm just continuing to hope for a PopTray resolution to this problem, and the "@ outside address" problem.

Gary

User avatar
ComputerBob
Guru
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:27 pm
Location: The Gulf Coast of the Sunshine State, USA
Contact:

Post by ComputerBob » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:06 am

I agree with GaryGo that it would be best if the problem(s) could be solved within PopTray, without requiring users to install and configure other software.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by metalmakker » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:52 am

I agree with the statement about the need to install additional software, but the reason I have K9 installed is not because I have a problem with Poptray. The rules for filtering spam in poptray can never be as good as K9 simply because Poptray doesn't learn like K9 does. Every rule has to be made manually in Poptray which takes a lot of time and spammers will always find a way to work around these.

Sure, an integrated application like K9 inside Poptray would be really cool, but I doubt whether the Poptray boys will build something like K9.
If it's too fast, you're too old...

User avatar
homaquebec
PopTray Family
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Québec (Canada)

Post by homaquebec » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:54 pm

metalmakker wrote:Sure, an integrated application like K9 inside Poptray would be really cool, but I doubt whether the Poptray boys will build something like K9.
The PopTrays "boys" are not as many as you suggest.

I ask myself why we should reinvent the world? K9 works perfectly with PopTray. Together, the two applications make a very good couple.

Renier, THE PopTray boy, has a TODO list. Since everything is involving, an email notifier must do so. A recent development seems to be a need to reroad messages such a way they can be read on a cell phone. Personnaly, I would appreciale a feature that would allow the user to copy specific messages in a given folder (if we retrieve the body).

User avatar
metalmakker
Evolving
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by metalmakker » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:34 am

homaquebec wrote: Renier, THE PopTray boy, has a TODO list. Since everything is involving, an email notifier must do so. A recent development seems to be a need to reroad messages such a way they can be read on a cell phone. Personnaly, I would appreciale a feature that would allow the user to copy specific messages in a given folder (if we retrieve the body).
Pegasus Mail does that (copying messages into folders where I want them) for me after Poptray has checked the mail and deleted the spam in cooperation with K9.

Email on cellphones... I really don't need that. :|
If it's too fast, you're too old...

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests