PopTray Going Crazy Right after LogOn in XP

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

drahnier
Still here

PopTray Going Crazy Right after LogOn in XP

Post by drahnier » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:37 am

If one issues a "Check All" right after having logged on to a XP system and while the log on process is still busy starting other programs sometimes a PopTray window is jumping across the screen.

Funny?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat May 01, 2004 7:29 pm

I haven't seen this problem with my setup. Here is an idea or two that you may want to try if you are familiar enough with windows startup programs.

First verify that you don't have any parasitic software running on your computer, I define parasitic software as virus's, trojans, worms, spyware and adware. Make sure that the programs you test with are completely up-to-date. In otherwords verify and update your antivirus program etc and then test your computer. If you don't have software to test for the spyware or adware, I'd suggest Ad-Aware by Lavasoft and Spybot S & D. There are several other good ones as well but these are a good start. A good info page on spyware and adware can be found at the Windows Support Center (WSC). This is a great site and also they have links to the programs I mentioned.

If that doesn't clear things up then you probably have a different program that conflicts with PopTray. To find out, start 'msconfig' from the 'Run' line on the Start Menu, select the 'Startup' tab and remove one program at a time and logout and then log back in. Only do this for the items you know are safe to 'turn off' for a short time. You probably don't want to turn off any hardware specific programs or your antivirus program. If you identify which program is causing it, then either choose between the two programs which you want to use most, look on the other programs FAQ page or FORUM page for info, report the problem here again and state what the other program is, and of course you can alway just put up with the problem, but that probably isn't as fun as you mentioned. :cry:

WARNING If you don't know what your doing when running msconfig, it can seriously affect the way your computer runs. If you run into trouble, you can start your Computer in Safe mode and turn back on the program that your computer needs. I would also strongly suggest not disabling anything from the other tabs on msconfig unless you really know what you are doing.

drahnier
Still here

Post by drahnier » Sun May 02, 2004 7:59 am

Rdsok wrote:I haven't seen this problem with my setup. Here is an idea or two that you may want to try if you are familiar enough with windows startup programs.

First verify that you don't have any parasitic software running on your computer, I define parasitic software as virus's, trojans, worms, spyware and adware. Make sure that the programs you test with are completely up-to-date. In otherwords verify and update your antivirus program etc and then test your computer. If you don't have software to test for the spyware or adware, I'd suggest Ad-Aware by Lavasoft and Spybot S & D. There are several other good ones as well but these are a good start. A good info page on spyware and adware can be found at the Windows Support Center (WSC). This is a great site and also they have links to the programs I mentioned.

If that doesn't clear things up then you probably have a different program that conflicts with PopTray. To find out, start 'msconfig' from the 'Run' line on the Start Menu, select the 'Startup' tab and remove one program at a time and logout and then log back in. Only do this for the items you know are safe to 'turn off' for a short time. You probably don't want to turn off any hardware specific programs or your antivirus program. If you identify which program is causing it, then either choose between the two programs which you want to use most, look on the other programs FAQ page or FORUM page for info, report the problem here again and state what the other program is, and of course you can alway just put up with the problem, but that probably isn't as fun as you mentioned. :cry:

WARNING If you don't know what your doing when running msconfig, it can seriously affect the way your computer runs. If you run into trouble, you can start your Computer in Safe mode and turn back on the program that your computer needs. I would also strongly suggest not disabling anything from the other tabs on msconfig unless you really know what you are doing.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am a computer professional for more than 20 years now and I very well know how to deal with and track down issues. I am 100% confident that my systems are virus/worm/malware free (during the last few years I had been working as a security expert and learned to take appropriate protective measures). I would say I know XP by heart and I am pretty sure this is a PopTray problem.

The behavior I described is indeed not reproducible at will. It happens quite infrequently (maybe every 3rd or fourth day). But I have seen it on three - quite differently configured - XP Pro machines.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun May 02, 2004 2:31 pm

It's no wonder you experience erractic behavior while the OS is still implementing your settings, starting processes and startup programs.

How well is PopTray expected to run on a half ready OS?

It would seem to me, that the easy way to fix that problem would to be, don't try to check email until the OS is fully ready.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun May 02, 2004 6:10 pm

drahnier wrote: Thanks for your suggestions. I am a computer professional for more than 20 years now and I very well know how to deal with and track down issues. I am 100% confident that my systems are virus/worm/malware free (during the last few years I had been working as a security expert and learned to take appropriate protective measures). I would say I know XP by heart and I am pretty sure this is a PopTray problem.

The behavior I described is indeed not reproducible at will. It happens quite infrequently (maybe every 3rd or fourth day). But I have seen it on three - quite differently configured - XP Pro machines.
drahnier, sorry to have upset you, I didn't get a copy of your resume to know you were so well informed. I've been diagnosing and repairing computers since 1978, IBM compatibles since 1989, and I too know what I'm talking about. I was not trying to make assumetions about your skill levels, but your descriptions were vary sparce in details on how to reproduce the problem, how often it happened, what steps you took to make sure something else was causing the problem etc, basically they didn't sound like they were coming from someone with that much experience.

Another reason I try to completely cover the bases, not everyone reading this forum has the experience they need to find and fix a problem. When I reply, even to the people I believe know what they are doing, I try to be as complete as I can so that it may help the others that may be experiencing the same or similar problems. If we aren't here to help each other, then why even have a forum.

Again, I'm sorry I gave you what I thought was a thorough way to find out what was possibly causing your problem and I'll refrain from trying to help you that way in the future.

I guess I better go get more coffee now, apparantly I'm not as awake as I had thought...