Mark for deletion and connection errors

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Mark for deletion and connection errors

Post by ilNebbioso » Wed May 12, 2004 1:51 pm

It seems that if I mark one or more messages for deletion and during following check PT receives a connection error, PT itself forgets about messages to be deleted, who are shown as normal messages.

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Wed May 12, 2004 2:18 pm

It works as expected to me... After a connection error, the remaining deleted messages are still marked for delete, and I have to recheck. What is wrong is to loose the connection :?

I think that in your case, your messages are renumbered and retrieved with a new UIDL... Or your local UIDL's got corrupted!

++V

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Wed May 12, 2004 3:38 pm

In case of renumering all messages marked are correctly still ... marked until reload. I'll look into it... :S

antoine
Enthusiast

Post by antoine » Thu May 13, 2004 7:50 am

I am coming across a similar problem. One of the pop servers I am connecting to allows only 1 connection per minute : so if I check twice within a minute my mail on this server, PopTray gives a connection error (normal) ; but if within a minute, I first check for new mail and then want to delete one of the fetched mails, then PopTray loops constantly on tring to delete this mail. The only way to interrupt it is to kill poptray's process through the process manager.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu May 13, 2004 8:26 am

May I suggest to try a setting if you are using one of the beta versions newer than 3.1 beta 2, on the General Options tab select 'Delete Mail only on next Check' and make sure you don't check your mail again for less than another minute.

Obviously if you only using the latest stable release 3.03 or earlier, that option isn't available and you may want to wait until 3.1 has a stable release. In case you are interested in trying one of the newer beta versions, I'm currently using the 3.1 beta 4 and 5 at work and at home and have seen very few problems with them. The only problems I've seen are caused by the newer Safe Delete using UIDL and a couple minor issues with the RegExpr functions. Most of the bugs that are commonly mentioned on the forum appear to also exist in the stable release such as the '@ outside address' error and a problem with dealing with malformed email headers that contain too many CR's in them.

Hope that helps
Rdsok

antoine
Enthusiast

Post by antoine » Fri May 14, 2004 8:26 am

Thanks for the tip Rdsok. Actually, I wasn't complaining about not being able to delete rapidly an email from the server. I just wanted to draw Renier's attention to the fact that the email deletion operations performed by PopTray 3.1-beta 5 could lead to a serious bug when the pop server closes the connection.

Regards,
Antoine