Serious bug: Messing Rules again

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Borgtex
Groupie

Serious bug: Messing Rules again

Post by Borgtex » Wed May 19, 2004 6:04 pm

I'm using beta5, and I found a bug that can have catastrophic consequences:

I added a second row in a rule and checked the "Not" box. As a result, ALL rules have changed the second row to "Not", what can give a lot of false positives if they're really processed in this way

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri May 21, 2004 6:08 pm

I tried to recreate the error and was unable to. I tried adding a second criteria (I'm using 3.1 b5 so I use the word 'criteria' for each line in a rule just to tell them apart) to an existing rule and also tried creating a new rule with two criteria in it, both worked as expected. Can you think of something else that may be affecting you on this. If so pass it on and I'll be glad to try it again.

Borgtex
Groupie

Post by Borgtex » Sat May 22, 2004 2:11 pm

I have no idea of where can be the problem... I only know that if I I mark as "Not" the first row (or criteria) of a rule, it seems to work fine, however, if I check any other row, automatically appears an "X" in the same row of all the other rules. Unchecking these 'false' boxes has not any effect at all, as the 'X' reappears; unchecking the real one makes all the other disappear

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat May 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Oh, I can think of something to try, but I only suggest it as the last resort. I'll also try to cover everything I can think of, just in case you may not know some of it already.

If you don't have many rules and a relatively short blacklist/whitelist it isn't doesn't take too long to do. If on the otherhand there are a lot of them, it can mean you have a lot of work to do, just depending on what may have gotten corrupted or if a corruption is really the cause of your problem (since we haven't proven or not that there is any corruption yet).

If you still want to try this, here are the instructions.

1. Make backups of the following files from your PopTray directory
(usually C:\Program Files\Poptray and don't place the backups in the PopTray directory, we will want to get rid of it later)

Poptray.ini
Rules.ini (if exists, obviously you have one.. :D )
Blacklist.ptdat (if exists)
Whitelist.ptdat (if exists)
Poptray.customize (if it exists)
rules.log (optional - if the log file interests you)

2. Now uninstall PopTray and then make sure that the PopTray directory is gone, if not delete it by hand. This makes sure there are no corrupt files left by accident.

3. Re-install PopTray, setup one test account and setup the PopTray options you like to use. Now make a few rules to test with (these don't need to be anything special, we are just going to test with them to make sure the problem is gone).

If the problem exists, close PopTray and restore the backup files to the Poptray directory, we have something else causing the problem.

If the problem doesn't exist, it is likely that one or more of the files you backed up earlier are corrupted. If you had a lot of accounts, whitelist, blacklist, or rules items you may or may not want to do the following which has to do with restoring your previous settings for these. If you want to try the following, I'd suggest making a second backup of the new versions of the previous files again in a different location, this way if the problem returns we will know which file may have caused it and can replace it with the newer version. Also I suggest just restoring one file at a time, close PopTray, restore the file, reopen Poptray and test again for each file just to find the problem file or setting. I'll also describe what the files are for just in case you don't already know. I'll also list them from what I believe the least likely to cause the problem to the most likely, so it will probably be the last one or two files restored that will cause this. Restoring any of these are optional depending on what you want or need. Remember, you will need to close Poptray before restoring any of these otherwise Poptray can overwrite them as it closes.

Restore the Blacklist.ptdat (this is your blacklist file), Close, restore file and then restart PopTray and test again.

Restore the Whitelist.ptdat (this is your whitelist file) , Close, restore file and then restart PopTray and test again.

Restore the Poptray.customize (this only existed if you had customized your PopTray buttons etc) , Close, restore file and then restart PopTray and test again.

Restore the Poptray.ini (this contains all of the Poptray settings and your account settings, if you don't have many accounts setup, it may be easier just to reset them up instead of restoring this) , Close, restore file and then restart PopTray and test again.

Restore the Rules.ini file (This is the rules list, it is the most likely cause of your errors if it wasn't a corrupt program file which you have already replaced when you re-installed PopTray, you can also use the Import Rules feature instead of replacing the file if you wish.) Close, restore file and then restart PopTray and test again.

By this time, either everthing is working ok, or we at least know which file is causing the problem. If the problem returned after restoring one of the files, replace it with the 2nd backup you did and you will need to rebuild that file to finish the testing/fixing. If after you rebuild the file or setting that caused the problem and it returns, then the trouble is caused by something there, such as, lets say for example PopTray has an unknown limit on the number of rules (I don't think so, but this is just an example) and your problem returns after you put in a certain number of rules, then we've identified a limitation that we have to work with until some other solution is given us.

Either way, let us know what happens, maybe it will help someone else that comes across this issue.

BTW, this type of process can be used with most other programs when you can't think of other thing to try to fix a problem. The only problem is that the program itself isn't alway the cause, so you can end up waisting some time.

Hope it helps though...

Borgtex
Groupie

Post by Borgtex » Sun May 23, 2004 12:31 am

I did something better: I installed poptray from scratch in another computer with W98 (in my comp. I use XP), so no previous rules, blacklist, accounts, options... nothing

Then I created two rules with two rows each
I checked the "Not" box in the second row of the second rule and, as before, the second row of the first rule shows an "X" in the "Not" column :(

So the problem is with the program itself, not with the files

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun May 23, 2004 1:36 am

I tried it again, this time, I removed all of my ini and settings files (like I was starting from scratch) then created 2 rules like you described and the problem happened just as you've stated. I did my previous test from my work computer, this was my home system. I'll look to see if I can notice a difference with the two setups Monday when I get to work.

Sorry I couldn't help on this one. It is certainly a problem with Poptray since I doubt we run other identical sofware.