Disabled accounts behave differently after manual check

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Hobbes
Enthusiast

Disabled accounts behave differently after manual check

Post by Hobbes » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:11 pm

Hm, never experienced that before but since I did I report it here; maybe someone could confirm the error:

I have a couple of accounts, some enabled for automatic checking with the interval set and some disabled for only manual checking.
When I check an account manually (by using the "Check" button on the disabled account) PopTray does what it's supposed to do.

But that single manual check erroneously includes that account in the checking interval as if it were enabled.

Steps to reproduce the effect:
1. Bring the PopTray window to the front
2. Choose a tab of a disabled account which you know has some messages waiting
3. Click on "Check" and see the message list come up
4. Click "To Tray" in the lower right corner and wait you regular checking interval

--> although the account is disabled it is checked and the notification window appears.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:26 pm

The disabled account is not really checked, but it does appear in the popup because there are still "new messages" in that account.

Hobbes
Enthusiast

Post by Hobbes » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:10 pm

Thanks. Can I disable that somehow? I can't find the right switch...

antoine
Enthusiast

Post by antoine » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:21 pm

Renier wrote:The disabled account is not really checked, but it does appear in the popup because there are still "new messages" in that account.
If I may, I would like to add another remark.

1) When the user deactivates an account, the number of emails for this account still is displayed in the tray icon, even after a manual check.

2) If the user quits and relaunches PopTray then checks for new mail, the number of emails for the disabled account doesn't appear anymore in the tray icon. This is, in my humble opinion, a 'normal' behaviour. Couldn't it be the same for situation 1) ?

Hobbes
Enthusiast

Post by Hobbes » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:49 pm

Buried out this older post; the error is still there.

Example: when I do a check on a GMail account and there's a new message waiting, no matter if I click "Mark as viewed" or whatever: from that moment on I get notified for this message each and every checking interval.

I have to close and reopen Poptray to avoid this. It doesn't even help to make the timer interval per account and set the GMail accounts to a high value that doesn't disturb. Even then and when this account is disabled I am notified as soon as any other account is checked :-(

vitoco
Veteran

Timers and notifications

Post by vitoco » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:56 pm

It seems that you have to re-check the account if you receive a new mail until you get no new mails... then, it'll not appear next time in the notification window after other accounts check.

But this is not the desired behavior :evil:

This also happens when the interval of an active account is much larger than others. It doesn't matter if you already view the messages from this less frecuent account... it'll stil be notified after other account checks even if those have no new mail, until you manually recheck that account as I said before.

I think that the timers thing require a big redesign, including the "reset timer after manual check" ToDo list item.

++Vitoco