Problem with URL in Preview

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

walda
Still here

Problem with URL in Preview

Post by walda » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:13 am

I've installed Poptray (V 3.1 beta 7 RC 1) on 2 PC's.

But on one of them i can't click an URL in the Preview of a Mail. There is no underlined blue link - just the Text.

Both PC's XP SP2.

What is wrong?

Thanks Walter

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:45 am

Well I can't find another report of this on any of the versions and I can only think of two possibilities that you could look into if you haven't already.

Double check that links actually work in Internet Explorer. This will be a basic test to make sure you don't have another problem because Poptray uses some of IE and Windows files to help there I believe. If they do work, we should probably look elsewhere. If they don't work, you will need to do an internet search for the solution. It is a common problem, but you will need to look a little.

If they do work (and I have no reason to expect anything different) send yourself a test email that you will be able to read from both computers. A link is real easy to create, you just type it out like http://www.poptray.org and that is it. Now you can be certain if something is wrong or not.

I know that more than likely you have tried those, but it was all I could think of that may help.

walda
Still here

Post by walda » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:07 pm

Thanks for your Answer but... :|
Rdsok wrote:Double check that links actually work in Internet Explorer.
What do you mean with that? I can surf the Web and click on Links.
Rdsok wrote:A link is real easy to create, you just type it out like http://www.poptray.org and that is it. Now you can be certain if something is wrong or not.
It's the same Mail. I check on both PCs the same Mailadress.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:51 am

walda,

That was what I was afraid of. The rest of the tips I have may not help either but they are things that I would do to check for problems. You may want to wait for a little while before you try these unless you just want to "play" with it or check for other problems. The programmer (Renier) for Poptray doesn't get to visit as often as he would like, but he usually checks in often, he will be your best bet for an answer. There are also several regulars on this forum that know quite a lot.

The question I asked about IE was to make sure it worked fine. Poptray uses some of the IE features and if it didn't work Poptray wouldn't have worked. As I had originally said, it was just a test to make sure that wasn't the cause.

Some things to try if you would like.

Uninstall and re-install Poptray.
If you do this you will need to delete the Poptray directory at C:\Program Files\Poptray after you uninstall so no settings files will be left. This would test for a corrupted file or setting.

Check if your computer is infected
Never assume your computer is clean even if you have an anti-virus that you use. See the link at the bottom in my sig area to find out more info on how and why. If you do have an anti-virus, do not install the one I mention in the article unless you want to switch for some reason, just use the one you have instead. You are only suppose to run one AV program on your computer or they will conflict with each other.

Test for other program conflicts
Run "msconfig" on your computer, select the Startup Tab and unselect all programs except for your antivirus and firewall software if you have some and Poptray. If you don't know what ones are those, don't try this, there is no reason to put your computer at risk. If this makes a difference, simply turn one program at a time back on until the problem returns and you have found the conflicting program.

That is about all I can think of to try. I know most of that is just a shot in the dark, but that is all I can provide for now. As I said earlier, I would wait a little before trying to see if others may be able to help.

walda
Still here

Post by walda » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks...

Years later... it made me angry again.

I reinstalled Poptray (to another path), copied only the accounts from one ini to the new one, choose the new settings manually...

... and now, it works... dont know which entry was the bad one... it works now and thats much better... :)))

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:58 pm

I think this happens when you select the "Stay on Top" option.

walda
Still here

Post by walda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Yes ! I tested it and you are right.

Dont know why, but its true :)

regards
walter